Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Thu. Apr. 07, 2022 8:45 pm

Just My Two Cents,If You Can Afford It.
"Be A Hero,Give Each Room It's Own Thermostatic Control & Comfort."
Before arriving at this "Carbon-Filled Nirvana",I built a Home using Electric Baseboard Heat. It was a Modular Cape Cod from All American Homes of Decatur,Indiana. The E.B was their standard heating package,along with the 2x6 walls. This was in 1989-90'. The point was just how amazing the zone control ringed down to each room was. By function and need,there were zero comfort troubles. Rooms not being used could be shut off. I had spent a little extra to have all interior room walls insulated. It provided "Inside Da' House Noise Control",as well as isolating an unused,unheated room. If I ever engage in Hydronic Heating,I'll be doing the same. The plus side would be Your higher costs for that much Zone Control would come back to You,depending on how long You stay there. Good Luck,Good Heating!
Last edited by Hambden Bob on Fri. Apr. 08, 2022 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Apr. 07, 2022 9:09 pm

Bob, you have just described one of the big advantages of electric baseboard. If you live with people that understand the concept of zoning, that really helps.

Here I sit in one of my 11 zones in the house...without looking I can tell you that all of the rooms that are supposed to be different temperatures probably have the doors open and the lights on. There may even be a window open with the wind blowing on a thermostat for good measure.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Apr. 07, 2022 10:06 pm

hotblast1357 wrote:
Thu. Apr. 07, 2022 7:41 pm
Are you planning on using copper?
It'll be all pex back and forth to the tub. The exchanger will be in the basement close to the boiler. I'm figuring it'll be more heat efficient to run the hot tub water to the basement instead of running the boiler water out to the hot tub. I'd like to use black iron to plumb the exchanger to the boiler manifolds just to stay consistent, but not sure yet.

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Thu. Apr. 07, 2022 10:10 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Thu. Apr. 07, 2022 8:02 pm
Did the decorating committee vote down the radiators? 8-)

If you are concerned about wall space take a look at high-output baseboard. It puts out roughly 50% more heat per foot and is only about an inch taller.
Lmao yes she did! She loves them downstairs, but does not want them upstairs. I’m good with wall space, pretty much have perfect spots to the baseboard.

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Thu. Apr. 07, 2022 10:13 pm

Hambden Bob wrote:
Thu. Apr. 07, 2022 8:45 pm
Just My Two Cents,If You Can Afford It.
"Be A Hero,Give Each Room It's Own Thermostatic Control & Comfort."
Before arriving at this "Carbon-Filled Nirvana",I built a Home using Electric Baseboard Heat. It was a Modular Cape Cod from All American Homes of Decatur,Indiana. The E.B was their standard heating package,along with the 2x6 walls. This was in 1989-90'. The point was just how amazing the zone control ringed down to each room was. By function and need,there were zero comfort troubles. Rooms not being used could be shut off. I had spent a little extra to have all interior room walls insulated. It provided "Inside Da' House Noise Control",as well as isolating an unused,unheated room. If I ever engage in Hydronic Heating,I'll be doing the same. The plus side would be Your higher costs for that much Zone Conttol would come back to You,depending on how long You sray there. Good LuckGood Heating!
Very good info! Im gonna go for the zones, easier to do it now rather than later when I finish the downstairs and can’t get to the walls and floor upstairs.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Thu. Apr. 07, 2022 10:14 pm

"ELECTRIC" baseboard. Now I get it.
whisling emoji.jpg
.JPG | 6.7KB | whisling emoji.jpg

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Fri. Apr. 08, 2022 8:50 am

Hot,If You Can "See It",Ya' Can "Be It"!!
Again,sure,Your initial Cash Outlay's higher,but the "Room Tuning" gives greater options for All that Live there!

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Apr. 08, 2022 4:15 pm

About 41 minutes into the video there is some very good information on sizing circulators for systems with zone valves.

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Fri. Apr. 08, 2022 4:35 pm

Ya I’m thinking I might go to a “smart” circulator, as i would still like to keep the one circulator in the boiler room still that does everything, the three speed I have now does everything on low, so maybe it will do the baseboard as I am removing the water to air in the furnace.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Apr. 09, 2022 8:28 am

hotblast1357 wrote:
Fri. Apr. 08, 2022 4:35 pm
Ya I’m thinking I might go to a “smart” circulator, as i would still like to keep the one circulator in the boiler room still that does everything, the three speed I have now does everything on low, so maybe it will do the baseboard as I am removing the water to air in the furnace.
You don’t necessarily need a smart circulator, but one with a flatter pump curve would be a better choice for a zone valve setup. Easy enough to see how it works with the current circulator and change later if you want.

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Sat. Apr. 09, 2022 6:55 pm

Ya I’ll just run the one I have, grundfos 15-82 I believe, I already run a two zone valve system, plus the constant circulation through water to water, I’ll be a total of 4 zone valves with the baseboard.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”