AHS130 Mess

Trumpeterb
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Pea
Other Heating: Electric baseboards (hopefully never use these again)

Post by Trumpeterb » Fri. Mar. 25, 2022 9:19 am

I had an unpleasant surprise today for the second time today. I woke up to a 60° house this morning. The boiler ash door was packed with unburned coal, it had spilled out into the floor, and all was cold. Hopper was empty. It appears the fire burned out somehow and the grates just kept pushing the coal through the system. I did have a significant buildup of fines in my stove pipe a few weeks ago, so I pulled the pipe again. It seemed in this time. I pulled the fan off, and the exhaust/exchange tube was 50-65% blocked with fines. I cleaned that all out and just relit the boiler. I am hoping that the mess in the exchange tube was the problem. Anyone have any idea if that may be it or if there may be something else causing this?

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Mar. 25, 2022 1:41 pm

Trumpeterb wrote:
Fri. Mar. 25, 2022 9:19 am
I pulled the fan off, and the exhaust/exchange tube was 50-65% blocked with fines. I cleaned that all out and just relit the boiler.
Could you elaborate on that please? I wish you could have got a picture of that..

Jkohanski
Stoker Coal Boiler: ahs s260
Coal Size/Type: pea
Other Heating: fuel oil

Post by Jkohanski » Fri. Mar. 25, 2022 1:50 pm

Well the autopsy is: Fire went out, power still on, ashing shut off temp never reached, kept ashing, thus ashing ll the coal out till empty. Now as to why it went out, that is the question. How healthy was the fire before hand?

Trumpeterb

Post by Trumpeterb » Fri. Mar. 25, 2022 2:30 pm

Jkohanski wrote:
Fri. Mar. 25, 2022 1:50 pm
Well the autopsy is: Fire went out, power still on, ashing shut off temp never reached, kept ashing, thus ashing ll the coal out till empty. Now as to why it went out, that is the question. How healthy was the fire before hand?

The fire beforehand was fine, at least the day before.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Fri. Mar. 25, 2022 2:31 pm

I'm still trying to envision the swirl chamber 1/2 full of debris :o

How many gallons of stuff was in there? Enough to fill a bucket?

Trumpeterb

Post by Trumpeterb » Fri. Mar. 25, 2022 2:36 pm

Lightning wrote:
Fri. Mar. 25, 2022 2:31 pm
I'm still trying to envision the swirl chamber 1/2 full of debris :o

How many gallons of stuff was in there? Enough to fill a bucket?
If you looked into the exchange tube, after removing the fans, the inner part of the tube, the part that extends through the center toward the coal bed, was filled just over 50% with debris. After vacuuming it out, scraping the sides, and vacuuming again, I have it relit, and it seemed to be working ok, for now anyway. I will check it again when I get home from work, and I am hoping that it was a lack of air circulation or draft caused by the buildup of fines that caused the fire to go out.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Fri. Mar. 25, 2022 2:50 pm

Hmmm.. that's a tough one.. seems like gases would be moving much too fast thru that tube for any settling to occure. UNLESS further downstream there is more blockage slowing everything down. Did you check the stove pipe and base of the chimney for any buildup? Do you have a chimney cap that might be plugged up? Could there be buildup in the cyclonic separator?

Trumpeterb

Post by Trumpeterb » Fri. Mar. 25, 2022 2:58 pm

Lightning wrote:
Fri. Mar. 25, 2022 2:50 pm
Hmmm.. that's a tough one.. seems like gases would be moving much too fast thru that tube for any settling to occure. UNLESS further downstream there is more blockage slowing everything down. Did you check the stove pipe and base of the chimney for any buildup? Do you have a chimney cap that might be plugged up? Could there be buildup in the cyclonic separator?
The cone was blocked a few weeks back, causing a massive buildup in the stove pipe to the tone of 2 to 3 5-gallons buckets of debris. I cleared that all out though, and it has been clear ever since.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Fri. Mar. 25, 2022 3:13 pm

Right... I remember that.. if it became blocked again, now is about the time the issues would start showing up.. unless you checked it more recently.

Trumpeterb

Post by Trumpeterb » Sat. Mar. 26, 2022 8:46 am

24 hours later, after cleaning out the exchange tube, the boiler seems to be running normally again. I can deduce that the thing wasn’t getting enough air flow when idling, and considering the somewhat warmer temps we have had during daylight hours, it would idle for a long time. I bet that is when the fire went out. Just guessing, but it is the only thing that makes sense to me.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Mar. 26, 2022 9:33 am

Trumpeterb wrote:
Sat. Mar. 26, 2022 8:46 am
I can deduce that the thing wasn’t getting enough air flow when idling, and considering the somewhat warmer temps we have had during daylight hours,
If I remember correctly, when you had the cyclone separator fill with fines, you only cleaned out the stove pipe and the cyclone separator. This probably left all the debris in the swirl chamber causing your outfire.

This is a new for me, I've never heard of it before. Being that this could happen to an AHS or and Axeman, we should all be on the lookout for it.

-Don

Trumpeterb

Post by Trumpeterb » Sat. Mar. 26, 2022 10:39 am

StokerDon wrote:
Sat. Mar. 26, 2022 9:33 am
If I remember correctly, when you had the cyclone separator fill with fines, you only cleaned out the stove pipe and the cyclone separator. This probably left all the debris in the swirl chamber causing your outfire.

This is a new for me, I've never heard of it before. Being that this could happen to an AHS or and Axeman, we should all be on the lookout for it.

-Don
You are correct. I only cleaned out the stove pipe and the cone, not the heat exchange tube. It was packed with the same stuff the pipe was filled with.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Mar. 26, 2022 8:34 pm

Hmm 🤔 from March 02
McGiever wrote:
Wed. Mar. 02, 2022 11:15 am
That’s a lot of fines!

Clearing or cleaning up what you found and seen was a must.

Now what about the fines you did not find and clean up? What does your swirl chamber look like?

Trumpeterb

Post by Trumpeterb » Sat. Mar. 26, 2022 8:50 pm

McGiever wrote:
Sat. Mar. 26, 2022 8:34 pm
Hmm 🤔 from March 02
Correct. I didn’t open it up b cause at that time the fire was still strong and I was afraid to dump carbon monoxide into the house. I am glad it is clean now though.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sun. Mar. 27, 2022 6:17 am

I've had a few outfires this season with My AA 130. I'm starting to think it's a combination of different coal and the weather. It seems each time it went out was on warm days that the wind never stopped. I think the unrelenting wind makes just enough draft to keep the fire a bit hot, making the boiler over heat. Not enough to blow the safety, but enough to keep the water temp so high that when the hourly timer comes around.... the fan doesn't come on. SO.... the coal burns higher and higher with no ashing, no new coal coming into the burn chamber. Eventually, there's not enough fire to keep the temp too high so the fan and asher do come on either with the timer or a call for heat. BUT.... by now, there's not enough fire left and not enough fuel to make heat, hence the outfire. I'm considering some sort of thermostatic thing to not allow the boiler to run if the water temp gets below perhaps 150 degrees. A switch that would be turned on once a year after the fire is established, then turned off to allow the fire to be lit next season. You'd still have the outfire, but not the mess of unburned coal to deal with. I'll let you know if I ever do this & how it was built.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”