VA-600 Air Adjust

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Sun. Jul. 10, 2022 12:29 pm

Did you lay the rings on a flat surface to be sure they were not warped?
I called marks about this gasket the other day. You need a large diameter
high temperature stove woven rope gasket that goes in the deeper groove.

I forgot to ask which size gasket rope it is so that you need to ask the folks at
Marks what size it is to be sure you have the right one.

When you lay the new gasket in be sure to make it long enough that there is
no gap to allow combustion air to escape the air bowl.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Jul. 10, 2022 7:16 pm

mjm4jc wrote:
Sun. Jul. 10, 2022 8:54 am
I do have a question about the felt that goes underneath the thick top ring/cover with the 3 bolts. Does the felt go in the outer groove/bevel, or the smaller diameter groove that's a bit deeper but has less circumference?
I don't remember seeing felt in there but the groove takes a small rope gasket, I think its 1/8".

Do not over tighten the three nuts/bolts! A little more than finger tight is all they need. Put anti-seize on them so you can get them out next time.

-Don

mjm4jc

Post by mjm4jc » Tue. Jul. 12, 2022 4:38 pm

Izaharis,
I didn't check to see if any of the rings were warped. I didn't think it was possible. But I definitely will check for that the next time.

So I guess I put the rope in the wrong place. I didn't put it in the deep grooved circle. I put it in the larger circle which seems like it's supposed to go there. If I remember correctly, Joe, from Mark's Hatdware, cut that rope to length for me. It fits perfect in the outer flattened groove. But I am in no position to argue this point, as you and Stoker Don are far more knowlegable than I. But I would askif you could make 100% sure that the rope gasket goes in the deeper, smaller circled groove.

Stoker Don------yeah, it's a high temp rope gasket. Don't know why I said felt. Lol. I did tighten dow pretty hard on the bolts/nuts on top ring. I figured that was ok. Should I back off a bit?

lzaharis

Post by lzaharis » Tue. Jul. 12, 2022 5:14 pm

AS long as it is the right length it will seal correctly. Just be careful about tightening the screws as you need never sieze to be sure they will come out in one piece.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman

Post by StokerDon » Tue. Jul. 12, 2022 6:31 pm

mjm4jc wrote:
Tue. Jul. 12, 2022 4:38 pm
I did tighten dow pretty hard on the bolts/nuts on top ring. I figured that was ok. Should I back off a bit?
I would.

The way I look at these bolts is, they are holding all this cast iron stuff together. When you assemble it it's cold. When you fire it it gets really, really hot. That is going to make it expand. With cast iron, stuff brakes pretty easy if there is no room for it to expand. A little more than finger tight is plenty.

-Don

mjm4jc

Post by mjm4jc » Wed. Jul. 13, 2022 9:23 am

Good advice guys.....thanks.
I checked my ashes, and the coal seems to be burning well. I noticed some ash was burned into powder. Then I remembered that I took the air adjuster completely out of the blower motor assembly. I put it back in yesterday and set it on #6. That should slow down the burn of the coal a bit, I believe.

Stoker Don------In your youtube video of your VA-800, I noticed that you were able to access the firepot from the side access cover. My VA-600 has that cover, but there's solid boiler behind it and no way to access fire pot. The only way I can get to the firepot, (without laying on my back where the ash can goes), is through the front access door. It was a challenge getting that top ring on and tightening the 3 bolts through that front door. Am I overlooking something?

lzaharis

Post by lzaharis » Wed. Jul. 13, 2022 12:16 pm

Referring to my drawings, the only way to avoid sliding in on your back is to remove the Tuyere/airbowl with its mounting plate with feed auger and gearbox.

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Thu. Jul. 14, 2022 6:37 pm

mjm4jc wrote:
Wed. Jul. 13, 2022 9:23 am
In your youtube video of your VA-800, I noticed that you were able to access the firepot from the side access cover. My VA-600 has that cover, but there's solid boiler behind it and no way to access fire pot. The only way I can get to the firepot, (without laying on my back where the ash can goes), is through the front access door.
I'm gonna guess that you were watching one of these video's.

This is NOT a Van wert boiler. It is a BairMatic boiler that I put a Van Wert VA-400 stoker in. The big side plate cover on the BairMatic made it very easy to service the stoker.

The Van Wert boiler is a little harder. I pull the fire door off, pull the ashpan out and work with one hand up on top and the other hand underneath.

-Don

mjm4jc

Post by mjm4jc » Sat. Jul. 16, 2022 10:36 am

Yeah that was the video Don. Sure would have been nice if Van Wert would have made a full access panel. But I guess that the price we pay for having a heavy duty unit with a furnace inside of a furnace, lol. When I moved into this house, (24 years ago), the previous owner had the air setting on number 4. I had it there for years with no problems. But probably in the last 10 years, I had it on number 6. I'm going to leave it there and see how the coal burns once we start getting cold weather again in October-November. It's hard to evaluate the true quality of the burn, since it's only running to keep temps up for hot water.

mjm4jc

Post by mjm4jc » Sat. Jul. 16, 2022 10:39 am

BTW--I just got 6 tons of Buck a few weeks ago from Hersch Underkoffler. Actually met him in person, since I was off from work when he delivered. He's a real nice guy and gave me the best price at that time. And if you pay in full when he delivers, he gives you a discount.

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Jul. 17, 2022 7:20 pm

mjm4jc wrote:
Sat. Jul. 16, 2022 10:36 am
It's hard to evaluate the true quality of the burn, since it's only running to keep temps up for hot water.
You hit the nail on the head right there! :yes:

In Summer, as long as the fire stays lit and the ash don't look to bad, it's a win! :lol:

-Don

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Jul. 18, 2022 8:24 pm

That air setting is actually variable for the season. Less in the summer, more in the winter. It's also variable dependent on the coal quality, you'll need more air with higher quality coal.

Set it about 3, monitor the ash. Increase half a notch until you see no improvement, done. I don't think I ever set that above 4 but that's on a 1200. Your mileage may vary.

mjm4jc

Post by mjm4jc » Mon. Oct. 03, 2022 12:56 pm

Hello everyone,
Just wanted to give another update, since we left off back in July. I have been pushing heat now and am getting a more accurate burn, as opposed to the summer burn when it was just for hot water. It appears that the firepot still has a dead spot on the left side. I really don't want to take the firepot apart again, but I guess I may have to. Maybe someone can give me a clue as to why the fire still doesn't burn on that one side? Overall, the burn is much better since I took all the rings out back in July and wire brushed/cleaned them. The ashes are actually not bad. There is still some, but not much at all, unburned coal due to the dead spot in the firepot. I am attaching a picture, so you can see what I'm talking about. Keep in mind this picture was taken when the stoker/blower had just cycled off. Otherwise, the flame is about 2 feet high, lol.
Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

20221003_055413 (1).jpg
.JPG | 122.8KB | 20221003_055413 (1).jpg

mjm4jc

Post by mjm4jc » Sat. Nov. 19, 2022 12:25 pm

Hello again everyone,
I was able to confirm that the seal underneath the top ring/cover is indeed in the right spot. If you remember I installed a new gasket and was unsure which groove it went into. I found another guy that had his fire pot out and was able to take the top cover off and confirm where it goes. So that is all good. Anyway, see the video as I am having the same problem even after doing all the work with cleaning the ring, resetting them, putting a new gasket, etc. I would like to have some confirmation from any of you as to whether I should take the firepot back apart (real pita) or if there's something else I'm overlooking. Thanks!

Attachments

.MP4 | 61.9MB | 20221119_121507.mp4

lzaharis

Post by lzaharis » Sat. Nov. 19, 2022 1:16 pm

Is the clean out plug (which is Item 13) in the parts list tight/sealed with some RTV silicone?

That is my thought on this watching the video you uploaded as the front of
the burn pot is darker "if that is the front of the pot".

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”