End of the line for EFM520

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Mon. Jan. 31, 2022 8:07 am

So I've made the very tough decision to stop coal burning and sell my EFM520. My biggest regret is that I didn't find this forum before purchasing my Harman VF3000 in 2004. The Harman I bought new and installed in 2004. To get the BTU's out of it I had to run it hard. I replaced it in 2017 with a 1986 EFMDF520. The EFM hardly breaks a sweat in comparison. How much easier my life would have been if I made a better purchase decision in 2004!
I know many of you will think I've lost my mind to get rid of the EFM now but here is why. First I'm within a few months of being 70 and while its way easier to care for than my previous boiler it does cause me some problems. No matter how careful I am with the ash some still goes flying and even with a mask I sometimes end up getting a dose. That does not mix well with asthma. I won't elaborate but it sucks when you have trouble breathing. Also my basement entrance is in the rear of my home and I have to carry the ash around the house on a stone walkway that doesn't get any sun and is treacherous. Even when shoveled the ice doesn't melt and if it does the algae makes it like ice anyway. I clean it annually but the algae comes right back. I don't need to fall and break any bones at this point in my life.
Next my wife has made it clear that when I begin to assume room temperature she is selling the house and getting a smaller place she can handle herself. I don't want her to have to deal with the coal boiler and most of the younger generation isn't interested in a home with a coal boiler. I came to this reality some time ago but two of my friends passed away this week (one had a stroke and one a heart attack) and that reinforced my decision.
I listed it on Facebook marketplace and sold it within a few days. I didn't list it here because Ricoman2737 had his listed here and I didn't want to step on his toes. A guy in western PA bought it and is going to heat his home and a rental house next door. Our deal is I get to finish out the season and burn my existing coal. Then I will uninstall it and he's going to pick it up. I want to thank everyone for their help and advice over the years, especially Stokerdon whose help was invaluable.
So after that I will be at the mercy of the oil man. My oil burner does a good job but in general the house will not be as warm for sure. My basement now is always in the low 70's. The oil burner won't do that and I'll miss my warm floors and warm basement. I might pickup a couple cast iron radiators to add down there but it won't be the same.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Jan. 31, 2022 8:38 am

Damn Terry, gonna miss you, ya young woodpecker!! Been a good run :) Don't mean ya can't chime in if the mood strikes ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Mon. Jan. 31, 2022 9:07 am

Most of us have this same problem but just won't admit it.
Burning coal keeps you young but can make you old in an instant.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Jan. 31, 2022 11:21 am

Been a good run Terry!!
But knowing when to quit is something that had to come.

To the younger crowd, mechanize and automate, need no bags shovels rakes or ash pans. This will get you across the finish line in one piece.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Mon. Jan. 31, 2022 3:26 pm

Mr. Coalkirk, as passionate as I am about using the beautiful black diamonds I think you have this well thought out and have made the right decision for you and your family.. people keep telling me its hell to get old, I'm seeing subtle signs of that already at 50 years old. I hope to keep the torch lit till I'm 70 or longer if possible :) and hope to see you peek your head in whenever you get the hankering.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Tue. Feb. 01, 2022 10:09 pm

30095.jpeg
.JPEG | 603.1KB | 30095.jpeg
Crap.....!!!

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Feb. 02, 2022 7:19 am

Good Lord--ain't that a sight to start the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Wed. Feb. 02, 2022 7:48 am

Understand fully the whys and hows and getting done. I looked at all those old folk things and moved South...... ;) While I was young enough to reverse the decision. Stay well and thanks for the info to me when I was learning to run a VF3000. My son is still using it. The remark about having found this coal forum strikes close to home.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Feb. 02, 2022 12:50 pm

Sorry to hear that Terry but I understand. I used to tell people my biggest loss of customers was to time. I had this one very old lady customer that heated a small house only with a stove top type stove that was absolutely in pristine condition. Shiny black with nickel accents. It was the only heat in that house since the early part of the century. She got sick and I delivered her coal after she spent many months in the hospital. I got in the house and It was a mess with rust, I think water may have been coming down the flue. I myself was heartbroken looking at it, couldn't imagine how she felt. It was the last delivery, she ended up going to elderly home shortly afterward.

In any event the point of the story is while you may be retiring the EFM at least it's going to a good home. Most importantly at least you're not getting retired and sent to a good home. :lol:

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Wed. Feb. 02, 2022 7:36 pm

Hambden Bob wrote:
Tue. Feb. 01, 2022 10:09 pm
Crap.....!!!
That is the most concise sentence I have ever heard you utter Bob. :lol:

-Don

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Wed. Feb. 02, 2022 11:44 pm

It's about damned time,Don!

dave28
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM520
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Rice

Post by dave28 » Thu. Feb. 03, 2022 12:35 pm

Hi Terry,

It's been quite a few years since I have been on the forum and I came across your post. Like you I am considering moving away from my EFM520 for a few reasons. The EFM520 has been a great unit and provides us with plenty of heat. I will be 71 this year and it gets hard hauling the ash up around the back of the house to dump, especially in the winter. I also have to get help when I get my coal delivered. My back is not what it use to be which I guess comes with getting old. While my wife is not quite as old as I am and knows how to take care of the boiler this is not something I want her doing as she has COPD. My other consideration is the resale value on the house should something happen to me. I'm sure not everyone wants to mess with coal. While I have not committed 100% to getting rid of my EFM520 but I am researching switching over to a waste oil boiler. I have access to getting waste oil for $1.00 or less a gallon delivered. If I decided to sell it I will put it up on here in the classifieds.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Thu. Feb. 03, 2022 2:39 pm

Sorry to hear but understood.
I plan on installing an oil gun in mine at some point to be able to burn oil if I am unable to tend to the coal.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Feb. 03, 2022 3:28 pm

dave28 wrote:
Thu. Feb. 03, 2022 12:35 pm
Hi Terry,

It's been quite a few years since I have been on the forum and I came across your post. Like you I am considering moving away from my EFM520 for a few reasons. The EFM520 has been a great unit and provides us with plenty of heat. I will be 71 this year and it gets hard hauling the ash up around the back of the house to dump, especially in the winter. I also have to get help when I get my coal delivered. My back is not what it use to be which I guess comes with getting old. While my wife is not quite as old as I am and knows how to take care of the boiler this is not something I want her doing as she has COPD. My other consideration is the resale value on the house should something happen to me. I'm sure not everyone wants to mess with coal. While I have not committed 100% to getting rid of my EFM520 but I am researching switching over to a waste oil boiler. I have access to getting waste oil for $1.00 or less a gallon delivered. If I decided to sell it I will put it up on here in the classifieds.
Welcome back. I remember your rebuild thread.

I think a waste oil boiler will be just as bad for home resale as a coal boiler, but at least you would not have to haul coal or ash.

dave28
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM520
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Rice

Post by dave28 » Fri. Feb. 04, 2022 9:25 am

Hi Rob,

What I like about the waste oil boiler is that it will also burn #2 home heating oil. We had a home heating oil furnace before I switched to coal. Don't get me wrong, I do like my 520 coal boiler and it works great but I'm getting to old to do what it takes to maintain it. The mind says you can do this and then the body says are you crazy you old goat? lol

I do appreciate all the help you all gave me when I was doing the build on the 520 and it is very much appreciated.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”