Keystoker KA-6

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Fri. Jan. 14, 2022 6:58 pm

So after years of indecision, hemming, and hawing. I stumbled upon an offer I could refuse. Several member sent the listing to me.

It's a Keystoker KA-6 in incredible shape. I need to remove it from it's current location. Probably wont get to install till Summer. Excited for next winter, a warmer house, fuel cheaper than heating oil, and plenty of hot water. I believe the KA-6 will be a good fit for my application 1700sqft ranch with two baths.

The boiler does have a coil and is dual fuel.

Question, should I leave my Peerless Oil Boiler installed? The current owner reports the Keystoker is very inefficient on oil. The plan would be to go oil fired May-Oct. Though the current owner said he used it on coal year round.

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Fri. Jan. 14, 2022 7:15 pm

DHW will be at least 1 ton of coal during the Summer. Heat in the basement is the problem.

ASea
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120

Post by ASea » Fri. Jan. 14, 2022 7:16 pm

tsb wrote:
Fri. Jan. 14, 2022 7:15 pm
DHW will be at least 1 ton of coal during the Summer. Heat in the basement is the problem.
Yeah, might not hurt to swap it to oil. Or swap over to the Peerless for the summer.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Fri. Jan. 14, 2022 7:21 pm

I thought you said you could only get Pea and Chestnut size coal in your location?

That Keystoker is gonna have a tough time digesting that! :lol:
ASea wrote:
Fri. Jan. 14, 2022 6:58 pm
should I leave my Peerless Oil Boiler installed?
Even if the Keystoker is not that efficient on oil, your mostly using it to heat domestic water May-Oct so your not using much oil. The benefit of using the Keystoker form May-Oct is that you won't have to worry about things rusting up over the Summer. A hot boiler is a happy boiler.

-Don

ASea

Post by ASea » Fri. Jan. 14, 2022 7:35 pm

StokerDon wrote:
Fri. Jan. 14, 2022 7:21 pm
I thought you said you could only get Pea and Chestnut size coal in your location? My local guy can make arrangements. Or I'll reach out to Justify008 now that I'm a big time hydronic heating coal boiler guy here on the forum. Lord help me, feels like I have allot to learn. Time for Stoker Don to get a Keystoker so I can watch the video!

That Keystoker is gonna have a tough time digesting that! :lol:

Even if the Keystoker is not that efficient on oil, your mostly using it to heat domestic water May-Oct so your not using much oil. The benefit of using the Keystoker form May-Oct is that you won't have to worry about things rusting up over the Summer. A hot boiler is a happy boiler.

-Don
Good point!

Scott in nwct
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ 671SU w/Efm S-15 stoker
Coal Size/Type: Rice anthracite lehigh
Other Heating: Peerless oil boiler

Post by Scott in nwct » Sat. Jan. 15, 2022 6:45 am

I left my peerless oil boiler hooked up when I got the coal boiler. Mine is plumbed in parallel but you could hook yours up in series. That would keep the oil boiler hot and happy. I ran my Gentle man Janitor , with no insulation jacket all last summer. Burned about 1 ton of coal and it kept the humidity and moisture low in the basement. Good luck with your new boiler. Scott

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Jan. 15, 2022 8:55 am

ASea wrote:
Fri. Jan. 14, 2022 7:35 pm
Good point!
Does that mean you don't have a source for rice or buck? :o

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Jan. 15, 2022 9:02 am

I would remove the peerless oil boiler entirely. You do not have a lot of space in that mechanical area, and you will be able to position the Keystoker better without that oil boiler in the way. The installation will also be simpler with only a single boiler.

As for summer hot water, if you are looking to minimize the installation cost I would plan to would burn coal as long as the heat in the basement doesn't bother you - then switch to oil and see how bad it is. As the other guys noted, this will really keep your boiler in tip-top shape - and also keep the basement warm and dry. The downside is that it will have a noticeable impact on your AC load.

An alternative is to install a heat pump water heater. Not only will the heat pump dehumidify your basement in the summer, it will keep it nice and cool - reducing the AC load in the house compared to running the coal boiler. These units also qualify for many state and local utility rebates.

CoalisCoolxWarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Sat. Jan. 15, 2022 9:15 am

Our KA6 is a tank. It likes to run. It was 10F last night here and it just hums along, even though our insulation isn't as good as it should be. We run buckwheat in it.

It also likes zones. If you need any info on wiring or whatever, just shout.

Congrats!

Retro_Origin
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1957 Axeman Anderson 130
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat / Pea

Post by Retro_Origin » Sat. Jan. 15, 2022 10:03 am

I left my oil boiler in when I had the KA6 installed, assuming I would switch back to oil for summer usage. Never did, and never will. Mine is also a dual fuel but just didn't see the point in hooking up oil when I was so happy with coal.

I burned pretty much right on 20 lbs a day for DHW only, very little hassle for me (even though I have to five gallon bucket all my coal 100+ feet and down through the bilco doors!!). My basement can be damp so it was a no brainer (no dehumidifier to empty this way!). I did notice some heat seapage up into the house, with my covers off and ONLY 3/4 hardwood flooring between the basement and the upstairs, but not bad to me. Although we averaged less than 4 degrees over outside temps on the first floor without using AC.
I found that my wife's cooking actually added way way more heat then the KA6 (and we won't stop cooking now, will we?)

P.johnson14
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Kaa-4-1

Post by P.johnson14 » Sat. Jan. 15, 2022 11:25 am

I run my KAA-4 dual fuel on oil April-November. I go through less than half a tank of oil. My chimney struggles with draft when it’s above 55* for long periods of time. I can burn coal for dhw in the summer, but I have to crank up my idle fire to deal with lower draft.

I like this setup; it keeps the boiler hot all the time, it exercises the oil burner (so it’s usable should I need it in the winter), I keep fresh oil in the tank, and I buy oil when it’s cheapest. I’m burning cheap coal when I need the most heat, and when there’s enough load to get the best performance out of everything.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”