Coal useage per heating season

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Feb. 16, 2023 3:38 pm

Jeff Van Wickle wrote:
Wed. Feb. 15, 2023 9:18 am
I live in Coaldale, right down the road from New Ringgold so very similar weather. I have a 3,000 Square foot home built in 1901. Mostly un insulated as well. I burned about 4.5 tons this year (Lehigh Anthracite). That is a combination of rice coal in my Harman DVC 500 (fired up early November) and I had my Harman TLC 2000 burning nut for a total of about 20 days as well. I'd say your 5-6 tons is pretty normal. My wife and kids also like it 70-75 degrees so I tend to burn a little more than I should.
Hi Jeff. It sounds like you have a good handle on keeping your house warm. Heating a house that big with a single stove would be a tall order, but I bet the hand-fired Harman keeps things toasty.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Feb. 16, 2023 3:44 pm

Idlorah wrote:
Thu. Feb. 16, 2023 2:47 pm
You got that right! the upstairs bathroom has one rad next to the toilet and when you close the door it roasts you out and burns your knee if you lean the wrong way :lol:
If you find that the bathroom is too warm a well designed radiator enclosure could reduced the heat output a bit and reduce the change of a burn. I remember my grandmother's house had a marble top on the bathroom radiator.

https://heatinghelp.com/systems-help-center/radiator-covers/

Jeff Van Wickle
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 105
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC 2000
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice and Nut

Post by Jeff Van Wickle » Mon. Nov. 20, 2023 9:13 am

Rob R. wrote:
Thu. Feb. 16, 2023 3:38 pm
Hi Jeff. It sounds like you have a good handle on keeping your house warm. Heating a house that big with a single stove would be a tall order, but I bet the hand-fired Harman keeps things toasty.
I ended up removing my Harman DVC 500 and replacing with a new Keystoker 105 w/ Direct Vent 3 weekends ago.
Much more efficient!

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Nov. 20, 2023 9:18 am

Rob R. wrote:
Thu. Feb. 16, 2023 3:44 pm
I remember my grandmother's house had a marble top on the bathroom radiator.
I just got into fixing the bathroom issues on one side of my double block. The bathroom didn't get used for 25 years so I had stuck valves and a bunch of dry rotted rings/seals on the tub. In any event I was little surprised to find a bathtubs length of baseboard under the tub. It's the only heat in the room but the room sits at the top of the steps too.

Dave 1234
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1948 International boiler, EFM S-20 stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buck,

Post by Dave 1234 » Mon. Nov. 20, 2023 10:34 am

A baro will cut down on BTU's pulled up the flue pipe all times , and mostly while the stoker is at rest.
A stack temp probe, manometer, and a baro could really help long term .

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Mon. Nov. 20, 2023 8:40 pm

Richard S. wrote:
Mon. Nov. 20, 2023 9:18 am
I was little surprised to find a bathtubs length of baseboard under the tub. It's the only heat in the room but the room sits at the top of the steps too.
Well ain't that an idea, assuming a cast iron tub, it would have captured the heat and slowly radiated it and then of course a long hot bath would have been hotter longer... what some people don't think of :annoyed:

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Nov. 20, 2023 9:13 pm

It was probably done out of necessity, really small bathroom just a little longer than the tub and maybe half as wide. Really no where else to put it especially if you didn't want to go ripping the house apart when it was installed.

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Mon. Nov. 20, 2023 9:54 pm

Richard S. wrote:
Mon. Nov. 20, 2023 9:13 pm
It was probably done out of necessity,..
Well I at least tried to give the installer credit for being brilliant... :lol:

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”