EFM AP 520-1 HELP

01cobravert
Stoker Coal Boiler: AP 520-1

Post by 01cobravert » Wed. Jan. 05, 2022 5:09 pm

My parents have an old boiler. The worm broke and my dad rigged it up by using the piece of worm that was still good coming out of the boiler. It runs into a 50 gallon drum that he fills with coal. I got a new worm for him but there is now a random pipe coming out of the boiler. I need to find the original feeder pipe pieces so that I can get it from the boiler back to the coal bin. Thank You

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Wed. Jan. 05, 2022 8:40 pm

You will find more help if you post this in the Stoker Boiler section (I'm assuming from the comment regarding the worm).

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Wed. Jan. 05, 2022 9:13 pm

To be clear, there normally are 6 parts needed for an EFM 520 to draw coal from a bin:

- burner ("pot") worm
- bin feed worm
- worm coupling
- burner end pipe (aluminum or stainless steel)
- bin feed pipe (Schedule 40 or stainless steel)
- standard or split pipe coupling.

All of these are pictured in Pictorial: Pipe and Worm Package

Which specific items do you need?

Mike

01cobravert

Post by 01cobravert » Thu. Jan. 06, 2022 3:43 pm

He has the entire worm/auger. I need everything else. There is a piece of pipe but no clue what it is. Not sure how it’s attached. I was thinking I need the piece where it attaches and everything besides the worm/auger. I’m in PA. Any ideas where I can get these pieces from?

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Thu. Jan. 06, 2022 6:25 pm

Wilhelm's Northeast Anthracite Heating (570) 345-6302

01cobravert

Post by 01cobravert » Thu. Jan. 06, 2022 8:36 pm

Thank You. Appreciate the help.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Fri. Jan. 07, 2022 10:37 am

01cobravert wrote:
Wed. Jan. 05, 2022 5:09 pm
I got a new worm for him but there is now a random pipe coming out of the boiler.
I have no idea why there would be a "random pipe" coming out of an EFM stoker. The feed pipe is the only pipe coming out.

If you are replacing the feed pipe and pot auger you should also be replacing the pot bushing. On top of that, if you managed to actually brake an auger you are not using the shear pin as required.

This video shows there the shear pin goes.

-Don

01cobravert

Post by 01cobravert » Fri. Jan. 07, 2022 4:17 pm

Don - What I meant by a random pipe is that I am not sure what it is. A guy replaced it but since it’s in the barrel I am not sure if it is a proper replacement short pipe or one someone rigged up. The worm broke at the extension I believe. It’s been working as is for 2+ years. The issue is my dad has it set up so he uses a coffee can to scoop coal and dumps it into an 8” Pvc pipe that runs outside the coal bin into the drum that the worm currently goes into. The dust goes everywhere. He tried to put a bag over it but that only stops so much. My dad and mom were recently in the hospital with covid and my dad has no strength to do the coal. I’ve been going up and doing it for him and decided after a few trips this is just dumb and I need to fix it for him.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Fri. Jan. 07, 2022 8:47 pm

01cobravert wrote:
Fri. Jan. 07, 2022 4:17 pm
The issue is my dad has it set up so he uses a coffee can to scoop coal and dumps it into an 8” Pvc pipe that runs outside the coal bin into the drum that the worm currently goes into. The dust goes everywhere.
Glad to hear you are keeping your parents EFM running while they recover, good job!

That is the problem with running a hopper or and 55 gallon barrel, the dust goes everywhere. :o
If you wet the coal that will keep the dust down. But, wet coal will rust everything up and eventually cause problems with your stoker.

As mentioned above Steve Wilhelm of Wilhelm's Northeast Anthracite Heating (570) 345-6302 can help you out. He has been working on EFM's and all other manner of coal heating units for longer than most of us have been alive. :D

-Don

franpipeman
Stoker Coal Boiler: efm 520 stoker fitzgibbons pressure vessel
Hand Fed Coal Stove: harman, russo
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: alpine propane condensing boiler radiant floor

Post by franpipeman » Sat. Jan. 08, 2022 8:21 am

Cover the 55 gallon barrels as best you can , may minimize the dust and it always need to have a lot of coal in it to prevent carbon monoxide leakage

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Sat. Jan. 08, 2022 12:04 pm

Yes it's in the EFM manual that a lid with a seal should be used when a drum is used to feed the pot auger.

I think there is a happy medium between soaking the coal to an extent that would cause operating problems vs living with dust. You can dampen the coal for handling without causing big problems. Minimizing the number of handlings and avoiding the movement of dry coal through the air can also help to control dust.

Mike

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”