EFM 520 stove running but no heat

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Jan. 04, 2022 5:38 pm

You should contact the kind gentleman above that offered to come help you. Someone standing in the basement will see things those of us in cyber land can not.

anthony7812
Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Anthracite

Post by anthony7812 » Wed. Jan. 05, 2022 6:20 am

I think you may have discovered your issue, combining what has been mentioned here and you lightly flushing your boiler with fresh water. Without knowing much info on the pressure switch, if the sensing line is obstructed/dirty, it probably won't function correctly. Good mechanical devices are nice to troubleshoot. Unless it's falling apart, trust it until all options are explored.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Wed. Jan. 05, 2022 7:14 am

BG,Greetings.. While I'm neither a Hydronics nor Steam guy,I've got to wholeheartedly recommend the Generous Offer from Dakota Guy. I've personally met the Gentleman at Our Number 9 Mine Meet-N-Greet some years ago. He doesn't bite,he's a rather Humble,Righteous Dude! Now,regarding why your temp-fix works for a while.. It could be a crud indicator. Water's a solvent,so fresh water added can have an ability to break down crud until it reaches a saturation point. When you blow down your line,your relieving things. When you refill,your restoring that ability to get things back into solution. Combine that with age,hard as a rock element plate-out,and beginning marginal failure of a device in the system and there you go! Now,this is just my knuckle dragging hypothesis,but I did work in boiler water chemistry and systems control in a 5 unit Coal-Fired Power Plant. Perhaps,if two heads and 4 eyes are better to attack the problem with,Dakota Guy is your man.

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Wed. Jan. 05, 2022 12:06 pm

Your steam system should be operating with a cut out of 2.00 PSIG your steamtrol looks to be set correctly,

Can you provide us with a picture of the relief valve in the steam chest?

Can you provide us with a picture of the Hartford Loop? If it does not have a Hartford Loop it is not up to plumbing code.

Is your steam boiler water feeding system a manual water feeding system??

Can you provide us with a picture of the water level gauge please?

What color is the water in the water level gauge? If it is rusty the system needs to be shut down and cleaned.

Is the system using an autofeeder for the water supply??

When was the last time the pig tail was cleaned??

Can you provide us with a picture of all the steam vents and where they are??

When was the last time the radiator vents were cleaned?

Can you provide us with pictures of the header pipes in the basement please?

Does the header pipe in the basement have an air vent at each end??

What brand of air vents are they?

When was the last time the main vents were cleaned?

Steam heat works by displacing the atmospheric air in the heating system.

Where are the main vents for the steam header pipe in the basement?, have they ever been cleaned?

Has the pipe leading to the pig tail and the pressuretrol ever been cleaned?????

It is entirely possible that the piping to the gauge and pig tail of the pressuretrol are plugged and need to be replaced and the boiler is flooding if you are draining it.

You need a steam licensed plumber to clean your system to allow it to work properly.

I will suggest that you purchase paperback two books about steam heating; the first is "WE GOT STEAM HEAT" and the second is "GREENING STEAM".

Both books were written by Dan Holohan and can be purchased through his bookstore on the www.heatinghelp.com
web page. All profits go to the author and he ships the books directly to you.

Hire a steam licensed plumber to come and clean the system for you and check everything PLEASE.

Holdencoal

Post by Holdencoal » Wed. Jan. 05, 2022 12:24 pm

Don’t forget Bob has a great YouTube library.

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Wed. Jan. 05, 2022 5:17 pm

lzaharis wrote:
Wed. Jan. 05, 2022 12:06 pm
Your steam system should be operating with a cut out of 2.00 PSIG your steamtrol looks to be set correctly,

Can you provide us with a picture of the relief valve in the steam chest?

Can you provide us with a picture of the Hartford Loop? If it does not have a Hartford Loop it is not up to plumbing code.

Is your steam boiler water feeding system a manual water feeding system??

Do you have a Low Water Cut Off?

Can you provide us with a picture of the water level gauge please?

What color is the water in the water level gauge? If it is rusty the system needs to be shut down and cleaned.

Is the system using an autofeeder for the water supply??

When was the last time the pig tail was cleaned??

Can you provide us with a picture of all the steam vents and where they are??

When was the last time the radiator vents were cleaned?

Can you provide us with pictures of the header pipes in the basement please?

Does the header pipe in the basement have an air vent at each end??

What brand of air vents are they?

When was the last time the main vents were cleaned?

Steam heat works by displacing the atmospheric air in the heating system.

Where are the main vents for the steam header pipe in the basement?, have they ever been cleaned?

Has the pipe leading to the pig tail and the pressuretrol ever been cleaned?????

It is entirely possible that the piping to the gauge and pig tail of the pressuretrol are plugged and need to be replaced and the boiler is flooding if you are draining it.

You need a steam licensed plumber to clean your system to allow it to work properly.

I will suggest that you purchase paperback two books about steam heating; the first is "WE GOT STEAM HEAT" and the second is "GREENING STEAM".

Both books were written by Dan Holohan and can be purchased through his bookstore on the www.heatinghelp.com
web page. All profits go to the author and he ships the books directly to you.

Hire a steam licensed plumber to come and clean the system for you and check everything PLEASE.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Jan. 06, 2022 3:38 pm

Draining the water lowers the pressure. If i were there I would temporarily short out the pressuretrol to see if the radiators then heated. Must stay with it to observe.

Gorton C valve on slow to heat radiator.

bgleockler

Post by bgleockler » Sat. Jan. 08, 2022 9:13 am

anthony7812 wrote:
Wed. Jan. 05, 2022 6:20 am
I think you may have discovered your issue, combining what has been mentioned here and you lightly flushing your boiler with fresh water. Without knowing much info on the pressure switch, if the sensing line is obstructed/dirty, it probably won't function correctly. Good mechanical devices are nice to troubleshoot. Unless it's falling apart, trust it until all options are explored.
I don't know really know much about this. Could you tell me what a sensing line is?

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Jan. 08, 2022 9:37 am

Dakotaguy wrote:
Thu. Dec. 23, 2021 5:25 pm
If you would like some help I'm a mile away also check to make sure the valves to the sight glass aren't clogged up especially the bottom one it does happen
bgleockler wrote:
Sat. Jan. 08, 2022 9:13 am
I don't know really know much about this. Could you tell me what a sensing line is?
Why don't you contact Dakotaguy? He offered to come over and help you. He lives very close to you and he knows a good bit about EFM's.

-Don

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”