Let's Compare the Axeman Boiler to the Clayton Handfed Furnace

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Dec. 12, 2021 1:12 pm

I thought this would be great conversation starter :) I've been asked a few times from other members if its saving coal, the answer is no, but its saving in other ways that more than make up for the 2 more tons that I burn..

Now that I've ran the Axe for a couple years and can quantify DHW usage we can look at some comparisons..

Overall statistics of the over modified Clayton handfed furnace.
Usage - averaged 5.5 tons per season.
Duration - 6 months per season, otherwise used wood pellets and electric heat for 2 months
Heat load - 2400 sq ft to 73 degrees, automatic thermostat controlled combustion, convection blowers ran 98% of full time for the house
DHW - variable, passive heating only with natural convection thru coil, electric tank finished heating..
Maintenance - average tending 1 time per day, somewhat labor intensive and required 30 minutes start to finish

Overall statistics of the Axe
Usage - averages 7.5 tons per season
Duration - 8 months per season
Heat load - 2400 sq ft to 73 degrees plus 500 sq ft outbuilding heated occasionally to 68 degrees otherwise kept at 40 degrees, thermostat controlled heating, convection blower runs ~30% of full time for the house
DHW - 100% heated for 8 months, coal usage for DHW estimated at about .75 tons
Maintenance - average tending 1 time per day to observe its running, pull some coal over the feed tube end, check ash tubs, occasionally oil moving parts, labor wise easy and takes a max of a few minutes..
Last edited by Lightning on Sun. Dec. 12, 2021 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Dec. 12, 2021 1:26 pm

How much less is your electric bill?

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sun. Dec. 12, 2021 1:33 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Sun. Dec. 12, 2021 1:26 pm
That is a hairy question because since running the handfed electric cost per kilowatt has increased nearly 25%

But I'll do my best to see if I can make some comparisons there. I may not be able to look up electric usage from a couple years ago, I'll check..

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sun. Dec. 12, 2021 2:34 pm

Rob R. wrote:
OMG.. I found some data!!

I averaged electric usage for 8 months (sept 20th thru may 20th) for 3 seasons using the handfed 2016-2019 to be an average of 10,446 per season kilowatts used..

Ready for this??

Same period last season (sept 20th 2020 thru May 19th 2021) 8098 kilowatts used!

A difference of 2348 kilowatts, which translates into $450.81 not paid to the electric company at the current pricing of 19.2 cents per kilowatt..

Bang Zoom!

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sun. Dec. 12, 2021 2:42 pm

Lightning wrote:
Sun. Dec. 12, 2021 2:34 pm
which translates into $450.81 not paid to the electric company at the current pricing of 19.2 cents per kilowatt..
That by itself justifies the Axeman's extra usage.. Then add on the other bennies :lol:

such as heating the outbuilding and ease of tending..
the 2 more months of shoulder month usage so wood pellets are no longer needed..
Not to mention its a hell of a lot of fun to watch :lol:

Retro_Origin
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1957 Axeman Anderson 130
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat / Pea

Post by Retro_Origin » Sun. Dec. 12, 2021 7:30 pm

Lightning wrote:
Sun. Dec. 12, 2021 2:42 pm
That by itself justifies the Axeman's extra usage.. Then add on the other bennies :lol:
bennies be unlimited. Dehumidifier, basement forge, boot warmer, tea kettle 'pre-boiler', latte cup warmer, meat 'thaw-er', conversation piece...what's not to like?! I'm actively looking for more ways to use it...which I think is more fargone then looking for ways to 'justify' using it :lol:

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sun. Dec. 12, 2021 7:41 pm

Retro_Origin wrote:
Sun. Dec. 12, 2021 7:30 pm
it...which I think is more fargone then looking for ways to 'justify' using it
Hahaha! I like the way you think :)

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sun. Dec. 12, 2021 8:04 pm

In full disclosure I had a lot of fun with that handfed... and the knowledge gained is invaluable. I could probably write half a book about what I learned from that ol handicapped coal furnace, but I'll stop there lol. I have no regrets as having it for a first coal stove, it was actually kinda heartbreaking taking it to the scrap yard, now just fond memories... the Axe has certainly filled that void and more.. and it all comes full circle to this board and the great members it has that have offered there knowledge and encouragement. Thank you all :)

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Sun. Dec. 12, 2021 8:41 pm

Lightning wrote:
Sun. Dec. 12, 2021 8:04 pm
In full disclosure I had a lot of fun with that handfed...
Your first love will... always be your first love... ;)

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Thu. Dec. 16, 2021 4:09 pm

Rob R. wrote:
A little bit off topic here but I also just decommissioned the hot tub yesterday.. We can fill it back up in May. I cut the power, drained it and serviced it with RV antifreeze. We've had it a while, the novelty has worn off a bit lol so it just doesn't get used very often. I can't justify keeping it warm and the water balanced all winter if its not gonna get used. I even have a heat exchanger for it that I plan to install at some point to heat it with coal.. just haven't done it yet lol

Once I fill it in May I'll compare my power usage to last year's for the same period and see if it made much difference.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”