Ramp up time for boiler

Retro_Origin
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1957 Axeman Anderson 130
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat / Pea

Post by Retro_Origin » Sat. Dec. 04, 2021 9:55 am

To be short, it makes sense to me that the 'ramp up time' or the time for the fuel burn to be at maximum potential is achieved at a much different rate in the three boiler types (that I'm familiar with anyway):

1. Flat grate (takes the longest due to having to force new fuel in)
2. Pot style (takes less time than the flat grate since available surface area of bed grows as it moves closer to the outer ring-correct me on this?)
3. Handfed or AA130 style (these seem to be more about increasing air flow when heat demand occurs since the fuel is already waiting and doesn't need pushed in, the anthrastat concept on the AA actually makes a great deal of sense to me now!)

I would appreciate corrections as these are rather basic and general statements

So, question; does this affect efficiency in the same order? To me it seems like the flat grate would be the worst for efficiency.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sat. Dec. 04, 2021 2:48 pm

I can't vouch for comparing efficiency, but I can tell you that the AA had an extensive 2 year test done on it and they concluded it to be 80-85% efficient overall which is pretty amazing. The ramp up to full fire is quite variable on the AAs. It depends on how long the fire has been sleeping. During mild weather it might only run every few hours which could take 15 minutes to wake the fire up. During really cold weather it might run a couple times per hour which only takes a few minutes to reach full fire.

I have a 1959 that I refurbed a couple years ago, and added some electronic controls. It'll probably outlast me lol

Retro_Origin
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1957 Axeman Anderson 130
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat / Pea

Post by Retro_Origin » Sat. Dec. 04, 2021 4:35 pm

Lightning wrote:
Sat. Dec. 04, 2021 2:48 pm
.... AA had an extensive 2 year test done on it and they concluded it to be 80-85% efficient overall which is pretty amazing....
I have a 1959 that I refurbed a couple years ago, and added some electronic controls. It'll probably outlast me lol
Yeah this post is somewhat of a probe to determine whether it would be beneficial to move my 1959 into my basement to replace my ka-6 in the future. I have some work to do on the AA that's in my out building before that happens though...thanks for your input, whenever you or Stoker Don have something to say, I surely listen. :clap: :angel: :angel:

Egghead
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130
Other Heating: Outdoor wood furnace oil boiler

Post by Egghead » Sat. Dec. 04, 2021 5:26 pm

This is my first full year running a solid state timer. AA130 not using dhw. I was told many times I didn’t need a timer but aside of never having the fire go out it also ramps up a whole lot quicker than before. I also end up with better ash.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Dec. 05, 2021 10:41 am

Egghead wrote:
Sat. Dec. 04, 2021 5:26 pm
This is my first full year running a solid state timer. AA130 not using dhw. I was told many times I didn’t need a timer but aside of never having the fire go out it also ramps up a whole lot quicker than before. I also end up with better ash.
Cool, could yet share the details of your timer?

Actually, I'm gonna start a new thread for it..

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”