AHS S130 boiler installed low grate temp

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Dec. 09, 2021 10:08 am

Dudest wrote:
Wed. Dec. 08, 2021 7:09 pm
Ok just checked grate temp...all time high at 117...been cold out. Cranked up thermo from 70 to 73 and cracked the windows closest to it for tonight. That radient floor heat will have to run hard to try and satisfy that thermo. Be interested to see what that grate temp in the morning is!
What temperature do you run the boiler?

Dudest
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130
Coal Size/Type: Anth. Pea
Other Heating: Lopi Liberty

Post by Dudest » Thu. Dec. 09, 2021 5:31 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Thu. Dec. 09, 2021 10:08 am
What temperature do you run the boiler?
It kicks on at 140 and off at 150.

Dudest

Post by Dudest » Wed. Dec. 22, 2021 5:06 pm

Got home from work today and checked on the boiler. First time I've seen the grate above 130. Wondering if it's because it got colder out or if something else happened?

Dudest

Post by Dudest » Wed. Dec. 22, 2021 6:25 pm

If it keeps climbing, at what temp should I start to get concerned?

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Wed. Dec. 22, 2021 7:25 pm

If it gets over about 160 you should back down you timer "ON" time. You should also do a fire depth measurement. If the fire is right down on the grate you will eventually burn out the ring at the bottom of the fire chamber.

Here is a video of how to to a fire depth measurement.

Also I would wire this so that it ashes by the temperature probe rather than the timer. Take a look at this thread for more on that.
coalgun 130 ashing wiring modifaction

-Don

Dudest

Post by Dudest » Thu. Nov. 17, 2022 9:54 am

Ok probably a moot point as no one else has seen this problem, someone may find this interesting reading don't know. Fired up the boiler last night , this time 2 gallons of ash on the grate b4 start up. Crushed up 8 charcoal briquettes put half on top of the ash. Dumped 40 lb bag on top, put the other half mixed in with the coal best I could thru the sight hole. Put the map gas on it, fired right up . Left the grate off and loaded the demand. 3 hours in grate at 70 fire looked good. Im like +@!+( again. Am I not going to hit a decent temp again? Anyway after 12 hrs temp is 125 without the fan running hallelujah. Original post..in retrospect the fire wasn't deep enough IMO , prolly because I did not have the ash on the grate. Still don't understand why some guys have temp in 2 hours it takes me 12.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”