Had a AA130…

Missywye
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axman Anderson 130

Post by Missywye » Sun. Oct. 31, 2021 11:55 am

Hello All!
I’m a newbie here, but have been firing AA130 for 8 or 9 winters. I’m in SW PA so coal is no problem, Thank goodness!! I love my 130 & it’s been keeping my house toasty & warm (So much better than the oil burner it came with!!) it’s a relatively large old plank 4 Square with lots of added ons in the last 100+ years (5 bedrooms). Very little insulation (it’s on the list🤷🏼‍♀️), but nice thick plaster walls.
My Dad built my 130 from his spare parts pile (Did I mention I think he’s a genius?) and we plunked it in my basement. The date stamp is so worn we don’t know how old it is.
This is all good news, bad news is that she sprung a leak when I got her good & hot this week… so I’m in a search for a replacement. I’ve found a few options, but several are 260s. I’m wondering what the possible downsides are to moving up to one. My concerns are keeping fire without burning too much coal. I have good draw in my chimney, but with bigger fan & firebox… I’m currently running to large old cast radiators, but am room by room changing some to peck stapled under floor. I am planning to keep some rads so will have 2 zones (up & down) With 2 zones (rads & floors heat). Any help and information would be awesome. I’ve been looking around here and you guys really know your stuff! I’m so glad to have found you!! Thanks In Advance!
Melissa

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Oct. 31, 2021 12:17 pm

Welcome.

Downsides to a 260 are that they are bigger and heavier, and usually a bit more expensive. The larger fire pot does tend to put more unburned coal into the ash in mild weather, but there are some guys on here running 260s that don't complain about that - I think a lot of it depends on how much hot water you use. As long as the boiler gets a good run once it a while it should be fine. As for the chimney, do you know roughly how tall yours is and how large it is inside?

With that said, I would see if your 130 can be repaired before you yank it out. They are made of steel and can have repairs made by a competent welder.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Oct. 31, 2021 12:37 pm

Welcome to the forum,

If you are running a 130 and it heated everything, there is no good reason to change it out for a 260.

Contact member ziggy87 . He has a few Axemans for sale. If all you need is the boiler he can probably hook you up with that too.

-Don

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Oct. 31, 2021 12:46 pm

Being unable to locate a 130 seems like a good reason, but thinking about this some more....all of the projects planned for the house will continue to reduce the heat load. If a 260 would be 2x the size needed today, but it might be 3-4x the size needed in a few years.

Probably a good idea to brand out farther and try to locate a 130, assuming the current one is beyond repair.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Oct. 31, 2021 1:09 pm

I'm curious about where exactly it is leaking..

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Oct. 31, 2021 3:52 pm

Looks like Melissa and Ziggy are about a 2.5 hour drive away from each other. Most people would drive further than that for and Axman 130.

By most people, I mean me. :lol:

-Don

ziggy87
Stoker Coal Boiler: axeman anderson 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by ziggy87 » Sun. Oct. 31, 2021 7:56 pm

Thanks Don. She pm’d me and I messaged her back. Waiting on a response.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Mon. Nov. 01, 2021 6:16 am

And this,Ladies and Gentlemen,is how We get things done here,in Da' "Coal Zone"!! Nice to see! Welcome Melissa,and Thank You Ziggy,Rob,Lightning Lee and the "Notorius Stoker D."!!

Missywye

Post by Missywye » Mon. Nov. 01, 2021 11:47 am

I took a pic from ash box, looks to be leaking around the cone… or at least that’s where the water is running down.
Not sure if pic s will work…

Attachments

E365BFE1-7F66-4F7B-9F02-B930FDA91E24.jpeg
.JPEG | 1.1MB | E365BFE1-7F66-4F7B-9F02-B930FDA91E24.jpeg

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Mon. Nov. 01, 2021 7:06 pm

Missywye wrote:
Mon. Nov. 01, 2021 11:47 am
I took a pic from ash box, looks to be leaking around the cone… or at least that’s where the water is running down.
Not sure if pic s will work…
That is a very unusual place to have a leak in an Axeman. Are you sure water is not coming in the chimney and leaking down the pipe?

-Don

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Mon. Nov. 01, 2021 7:37 pm

StokerDon wrote:
Mon. Nov. 01, 2021 7:06 pm
That is a very unusual place to have a leak in an Axeman. Are you sure water is not coming in the chimney and leaking down the pipe?

-Don
Good call Don, I wouldn't have thought of that!

Missywye

Post by Missywye » Mon. Nov. 01, 2021 8:14 pm

-Don
It never has before, and the fire was roaring when I found it. I can’t imagine it wouldn’t have steamed off… although obviously I’m no expert. Also I think it would’ve run out the clean out drop before it got to the firebox. But thank you! I’d hate to replace a boiler and then find out it was rain!!

Thanks everyone, great information here. I’ve already learned things & glad to get in touch with Ziggy87!

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Mon. Nov. 01, 2021 8:27 pm

Missywye wrote:
Mon. Nov. 01, 2021 8:14 pm
Also I think it would’ve run out the clean out drop before it got to the firebox
If in fact it is water coming in from the chimney, it would not reach the fire box. That "cone" where you see the water coming from underneath is a separate compartment in the boiler. Above that cone is a tube about 6-7 inches in diameter that runs straight up to the stove pipe. Water coming in from the stove pipe would surely come out exactly where we see it in the pictures. I have hope that this maybe the culprit instead of a leaking boiler vessel.

ziggy87
Stoker Coal Boiler: axeman anderson 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by ziggy87 » Thu. Nov. 04, 2021 10:46 pm

Well I talked with Melissa today and it is definitely the vessel. Complete boiler will be heading out of here Sunday if all goes well.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Fri. Nov. 05, 2021 6:03 am

Good Show,Zig!!

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”