First time EFM 520 owner

Mdawgpound91
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Mdawgpound91 » Wed. Oct. 27, 2021 11:40 am

So a back story, I have been looking around on this forum for a long while and actually purchased a coal stove a while back but it just didn't work out for our house that we moved into so I sold it. I have been looking at getting away from my oil furnace at our new home since we moved in. Well, I was stuck between an EFM 520 or going outdoor wood boiler.

Well I finally pulled the trigger on an EFM 520 with the oil hookup from a guy about an hour or so north of me. It comes with the auger and the bin with a 1/2 ton of coal. From what I gather in the install instructions, this furnace does not need 2 chimneys, you can run oil and coal out of the same one....to confirm, is this correct? Also, from what I gather from the previous owner, it is as simple as flipping the switch to turn on the oil for times when we are away? Also, with the bin and the auger, I always just fill out the bin and the auger will do the work to fill when needed, is this correct?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

I included photos of my current setup as well as the one I have purchased.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Oct. 27, 2021 2:30 pm

Yes, one chimney. Because it is running either coal of oil, it can't run both at once.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Oct. 27, 2021 4:03 pm

Welcome. Your understanding of the EFM operation is correct.

The unit in the pictures looks like it has spent much of it's life burning oil.

Mdawgpound91

Post by Mdawgpound91 » Thu. Oct. 28, 2021 7:43 am

I plan on running coal almost all or the major portion of the year. It is wayyyyy cheaper than oil. I just need to create a chute through a window in my basement down to a bin to hold my coal. Does anyone have any input on these units as far as what things to look out for or are these basically worry free/

franpipeman
Stoker Coal Boiler: efm 520 stoker fitzgibbons pressure vessel
Hand Fed Coal Stove: harman, russo
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: alpine propane condensing boiler radiant floor

Post by franpipeman » Thu. Oct. 28, 2021 8:03 am

It not completely worry free , you may have to take ashes out every day, where do they go,
is the auger covered with coal in your coal pile every day without a human being checking it out
has someone moved the fines handle daily to clear the fines out . It need some attention.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Thu. Oct. 28, 2021 8:05 am

You will never regret this move. Outdoor wood boilers cannot compare. And just for clarity the EFM is a boiler, not a furnace.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Oct. 28, 2021 8:31 am

You really don't want to go outside in a blizzard to tend a boiler. Unless you crave adventure.

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Thu. Oct. 28, 2021 8:57 am

Welcome to the club and your decision was the best option. I had a Central outdoor wood boiler for 7 years. It worked as described and mine was a 500k BTU model. It would almost hold a Rick and I would have to fill it 2 times a day during most of the winter. That is a lot of work/wood and I was a 1 man show. I had my Bobcat do most of the work but the time, wear and tear on equipment, diesel fuel, chain saw fuel/parts is just a lot. Nothing free about it, hell I even started a tree service to feed the thing as I knew I was losing access to my grandparents woods someday. I am so far ahead with coal and there is no comparison as I only have to take the ash out once a week...that's about it!

Mdawgpound91

Post by Mdawgpound91 » Thu. Oct. 28, 2021 11:53 am

franpipeman wrote:
Thu. Oct. 28, 2021 8:03 am
It not completely worry free , you may have to take ashes out every day, where do they go,
is the auger covered with coal in your coal pile every day without a human being checking it out
has someone moved the fines handle daily to clear the fines out . It need some attention.
I do plan on putting a 5 gallon bucket or so in every morning as routine which I assume should help keeping that full. Any assistance on the fines handle you are talking about? I do have a place to dispose of the ash. I have heard it is a weekly thing, is that accurate or is it daily?

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Oct. 28, 2021 12:08 pm

It depends how much coal you burn, and on the ash content of the coal itself. In the dead of winter I have to empty the ash tub in my EFM every 2-3 days. I pull the fines handle every time I change the ash tub.

As for things to check on the used EFM, probably the biggest issue with these is the tankless coil in the back of the boiler. If allowed to leak for a long time it can damage the boiler and may require a repair.

The stoker itself has some wear parts also. The motor, auger, bushings, and grates in the burn pot are the main wear items.

Mdawgpound91

Post by Mdawgpound91 » Thu. Oct. 28, 2021 3:40 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Thu. Oct. 28, 2021 12:08 pm
It depends how much coal you burn, and on the ash content of the coal itself. In the dead of winter I have to empty the ash tub in my EFM every 2-3 days. I pull the fines handle every time I change the ash tub.

As for things to check on the used EFM, probably the biggest issue with these is the tankless coil in the back of the boiler. If allowed to leak for a long time it can damage the boiler and may require a repair.

The stoker itself has some wear parts also. The motor, auger, bushings, and grates in the burn pot are the main wear items.
How would I check that and what would I look for specifically?

Scott in nwct
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ 671SU w/Efm S-15 stoker
Coal Size/Type: Rice anthracite lehigh
Other Heating: Peerless oil boiler

Post by Scott in nwct » Tue. Nov. 02, 2021 7:53 pm

Look at the top of this forum, popular coal boiler topics. Once their then scroll down to common repairs, issues and maintaining your EFM. Lot of good reading by stokerman. Scott.

Notashotashell
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM S20
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Not yet
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: None

Post by Notashotashell » Mon. Jan. 10, 2022 12:00 am

Hey Scott - assuming the handle is north west Connecticut - I’m am in Middlebury Connecticut also - 1960 - EFM520 - loving coal -

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”