Leisure Line WL 110 boiler

[email protected]
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL 110 Boiler

Post by [email protected] » Sat. Oct. 16, 2021 3:20 pm

I need help with my Leisure Line 110 boiler. The coal setting is working great, but I need help getting the propane burner set up. I got the optional Carlin EZGas Pro propane burner instead of oil burner but I’m from Ohio and the local heating guys are not familiar with this style of burner. The burner system locks out because the BV (blocked vent) code comes on soon after the burner lights. It says the blocked vent switch is open. I can bypass it by attaching a wire to the bv terminals, but I don’t know if that is bypassing an important safety feature. Can someone please tell Mr what the purpose of the bv switch is. Thanks.

Attachments

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Sat. Oct. 16, 2021 3:52 pm

[email protected] wrote:
Sat. Oct. 16, 2021 3:20 pm
I need help with my Leisure Line 110 boiler. The coal setting is working great, but I need help getting the propane burner set up. I got the optional Carlin EZGas Pro propane burner instead of oil burner but I’m from Ohio and the local heating guys are not familiar with this style of burner. The burner system locks out because the BV (blocked vent) code comes on soon after the burner lights. It says the blocked vent switch is open. I can bypass it by attaching a wire to the bv terminals, but I don’t know if that is bypassing an important safety feature. Can someone please tell Mr what the purpose of the bv switch is. Thanks.
First call I would make was to Matt at Leisure Line [Phone Number Removed]. Consult the manual. Good Luck! I'm looking at one of these units myself. Please do some more posting. Not allot of info on the LL boilers.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Sat. Oct. 16, 2021 4:33 pm

Thanks! I did talk to Matt but he said a professional installer would be able to figure it out by reading the manual. He wasn’t sure about the bv off the top of his head. He was busy when I talked to him. The manual didn’t say much about it, or at least didn’t give a solution for getting rid of the code. The problem is, here in Ohio it’s hard to find hvac guys that are familiar with this style of burner.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Oct. 16, 2021 4:36 pm

[email protected] wrote:
Sat. Oct. 16, 2021 4:33 pm
Thanks! I did talk to Matt but he said a professional installer would be able to figure it out by reading the manual. He wasn’t sure about the bv off the top of his head. He was busy when I talked to him. The manual didn’t say much about it, or at least didn’t give a solution for getting rid of the code. The problem is, here in Ohio it’s hard to find hvac guys that are familiar with this style of burner.
Have you called your propane supplier? Most have someone that is familiar with a conversion burner like that.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Sat. Oct. 16, 2021 5:22 pm

I have not. Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll give it a shot.

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Tue. Oct. 19, 2021 7:42 am

[email protected] wrote:
Sat. Oct. 16, 2021 5:22 pm
I have not. Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll give it a shot.
How'd you make out? Curious what size area you're heating, and how much DHW you use? Considering one of these for a place we just made an offer on.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Tue. Oct. 19, 2021 8:20 am

I don’t have a dhw

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Tue. Oct. 19, 2021 9:31 pm

[email protected] wrote:
Tue. Oct. 19, 2021 8:20 am
I don’t have a dhw
I assume that means you don't heat your home hot water with the boiler, correct?

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Wed. Oct. 20, 2021 8:04 am

That is correct.

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Wed. Oct. 20, 2021 12:35 pm

[email protected] wrote:
Sat. Oct. 16, 2021 3:20 pm
I need help with my Leisure Line 110 boiler.

The coal setting is working great, but I need help getting the propane burner set up.

I got the optional Carlin EZGas Pro propane burner instead of oil burner but I’m from Ohio and the local heating guys are not familiar with this style of burner.

The burner system locks out because the BV (blocked vent) code comes on soon after the burner lights. It says the blocked vent switch is open. I can bypass it by attaching a wire to the bv terminals, but I don’t know if that is bypassing an important safety feature.

Can someone please tell me what the purpose of the bv switch is. Thanks.
=======================================================================================================

You should not bypass the blocked vent switch function as that stops the burner in the event of a true blockage of some sort in a flue pipe.

Did you follow the instructions on page thirteen of the WL-110 manual EXACTLY for conversion of the boiler to oil use?

You should call Leisure Line to to verify the wiring schematic they use in appendix B for coal oil firing is the correct one for the use of a Carlin propane gas burner.

If Matt suggests removing the economizers you should try that first if they are still installed providing the wiring on your boiler and coal stoker is correct.

If the above(removing the economizers) does not work the blocked vent switch probably should be replaced.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Thu. Oct. 21, 2021 9:59 pm

Yes, I did. I’ll try taking the economizers out. Thanks

ziggy87
Stoker Coal Boiler: axeman anderson 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by ziggy87 » Fri. Oct. 22, 2021 9:38 pm

So the BV stands for blocked vent. There is a sensor that hangs off the end of the barometric damper that senses a chimney blockage. DO NOT BY PASS THIS. This is a safety feature! Check your chimney and make sure it is clean. If it is, it sounds like you have bad draft, or the burner is not set up properly. Those Carlin ez gas burners work great as long as they are set up properly. I have installed a few of them and have serviced several. You need a combustion analyzer to set them up properly. Send me a pm if you have more questions.
Jason

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”