Liesureline AA220, DHW coil for heat run, need ideas!

Frank F

Post by Frank F » Mon. Oct. 18, 2021 9:04 pm

swyman wrote:
Fri. Oct. 15, 2021 3:13 pm
Frank, I couldn't control the heat in the barn from what came off the boiler, that's why I put it in the house. Wanted the boiler heat under the living room and I put a coil out in the barn so I could control the temp where I wanted it. The room in the basement the boiler was in stayed in the high 80's. Barn with boiler in it would stay no less than 45 on cold days up to 70 on a calm warm winter day
Ok cool, I’ll give that a shot first! Free is better. Thanks again for your help.

Did you get that new boiler up and running?

Frank F

Post by Frank F » Mon. Oct. 18, 2021 9:05 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Fri. Oct. 15, 2021 5:48 pm
Nope. It can't get warmer than the boiler water.
Copy, I wasn’t sure being it’s a smaller loop.

Thanks again for all of your help! You guy are the reason my boiler works in the first place!

CoalisCoolxWarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Mon. Oct. 18, 2021 11:41 pm

FYI. The DHW coil's main purpose is to run a SEPARATE potable water loop from the main system's radiators, heat exchanger, etc.

The guys are right about the boiler only making so many BTU's and it doesn't care where or how it delivers it. Unless your main loops are too small or too slow to distribute BTU's to the remote zones in the house, that is the normal spot to add another zone, such as in the barn.

A trick we did when installing our Keystoker KA6 boiler was to leave the insulation out of the top section of the metal sheeting cover. Yes it looses some heat, but it goes into the basement. I do have a heat zone in that section of the basement but haven't needed it to stay in the 60's. I also have exposed copper piping from the loops and zones next to the boiler. Yours would mostly be remote in the house, right?

At the end of the day, you can use whatever resources you have. Sort of depends if you want to add the necessary components for a separate water loop as mentioned already.

Good luck!

Frank F

Post by Frank F » Wed. Oct. 20, 2021 5:44 pm

CoalisCoolxWarm wrote:
Mon. Oct. 18, 2021 11:41 pm
FYI. The DHW coil's main purpose is to run a SEPARATE potable water loop from the main system's radiators, heat exchanger, etc.

The guys are right about the boiler only making so many BTU's and it doesn't care where or how it delivers it. Unless your main loops are too small or too slow to distribute BTU's to the remote zones in the house, that is the normal spot to add another zone, such as in the barn.

A trick we did when installing our Keystoker KA6 boiler was to leave the insulation out of the top section of the metal sheeting cover. Yes it looses some heat, but it goes into the basement. I do have a heat zone in that section of the basement but haven't needed it to stay in the 60's. I also have exposed copper piping from the loops and zones next to the boiler. Yours would mostly be remote in the house, right?

At the end of the day, you can use whatever resources you have. Sort of depends if you want to add the necessary components for a separate water loop as mentioned already.

Good luck!

Thank you! I forgot about the insulation under the metal. I’m going to try as is and see how that does. Then that could also be an option!

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Thu. Oct. 21, 2021 7:11 am

Frank F wrote:
Mon. Oct. 18, 2021 9:04 pm
Ok cool, I’ll give that a shot first! Free is better. Thanks again for your help.

Did you get that new boiler up and running?
Yes, fired it on December 9th. I want to add to the radiant boiler heat that I thought was interesting. The temp in the basement boiler room did not change when I went from the insulated jacket of the LL to the non-insulated Axe Man? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me but I have a thermometer in there and no change.

Frank F

Post by Frank F » Thu. Oct. 21, 2021 8:45 pm

swyman wrote:
Thu. Oct. 21, 2021 7:11 am
Yes, fired it on December 9th. I want to add to the radiant boiler heat that I thought was interesting. The temp in the basement boiler room did not change when I went from the insulated jacket of the LL to the non-insulated Axe Man? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me but I have a thermometer in there and no change.

Are you happy with the new boiler?

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Fri. Oct. 22, 2021 7:35 am

Frank F wrote:
Thu. Oct. 21, 2021 8:45 pm
Are you happy with the new boiler?
I am extremely happy with it. The LL just didn't have the capacity for my heating needs which I guess is my fault. I had no clue at the time what I really needed. Just wished I'd known before hand, cost me about $4500 I didn't need to spend.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”