Who Killed Taco's website?

CoalisCoolxWarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Thu. Sep. 30, 2021 9:20 pm

Wanted to look at some specs of pumps. Wow, their site is...what is the word for "less than useful" or about 3 steps below "really terrible" ?

Was considering their ECM pumps or extra 007's, maybe a variable one. Guess their model numbering and specs per model are no longer important.

What is a good alternative to Taco? I've only used those faithfully, but after being thwarted repeatedly when trying to find this and other info, I would consider an alternative. I have standard flanges.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Sep. 30, 2021 10:21 pm

Haven't looked at the website but probably two issues. A)They probably don't understand the industry and B)Cake decoratoritus.

You can put up a really nice looking website using something like Drupal or Wordpress without much effort of knowledge. Especially if you have graphics background and can design well. Trouble is many of them don't know the fundamentals of how to leverage Drupal/Wordpress let alone the underlying technologies. It's like having a golf cart and putting a Corvette body on it, open the hood and it's still a golf cart.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Oct. 01, 2021 7:25 am

Not sure why you are having so much trouble with it? This should get you started: https://www.tacocomfort.com/documents/FileLibrary ... 8.5new.pdf
What is a good alternative to Taco?
Check out the different alternatives at supplyhouse: https://www.supplyhouse.com/Pumps-Flanges-288000

I have had great luck with Taco, but during my big project last year I switched over to Grundfos ECM circulators. So far so good.

CoalisCoolxWarm

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Sun. Oct. 17, 2021 11:59 am

Thanks fellas. There is a LOT more info on their website since last I checked (time of the post).

I couldn't find proper specs on 007, the model numbering was different with i7 or 8 or something like that instead of F5, and I still can't find the nomenclature for the rotated flange.

I built my system based on the first circulators I bought at the local HVAC supply house. Seemed standard, but over the years seemed to go the opposite rotation (90deg). I didn't realize it until I ordered more.

I'm also looking for other sources (including ebay) due to the prices spiking. I need minimum 1, up to 4. One failed while I was in hospital and my daughter and a cousin/neighbor took one from a zone that was shut down. I want to replace that one and at least one spare. I have 1-2 new zones to bring online soon.

I'm not ready for cold weather yet! LOL.

But I did get my mica site glass to cut into the door of the boiler so I can see the flame. I hope it gives enough visibility that I can setup a covered flame sensor for the project. I went with this one because it is flat and flanged.
Mica Site Glass.jpg
.JPG | 76.5KB | Mica Site Glass.jpg
I figure I can even drill a hole (1 inch, I think) in the middle and as long as I cover it with the flange with some high temp silicone as gasket....

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Oct. 17, 2021 12:15 pm

I couldn't find proper specs on 007, the model numbering was different with i7 or 8 or something like that instead of F5, and I still can't find the nomenclature for the rotated flange.
The numbers beyond the F5 indicate flange orientation, and if there is an internal check valve.

Easy to see all of them here: https://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/control/search/~SE ... taco%20007

CoalisCoolxWarm

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Sun. Oct. 17, 2021 12:19 pm

Thanks again ;)

I see the 007e ECM have the universal flange for 4 different orientations (Plus shape instead of just oval for the flange). What is the orange button or light? Does it have a running lamp?

Anyone use them? I like the self purging and self clearing advertisement, but not sure if they are everything they are made out to be?

I'm thinking I can replace my main circulator with 007e and move that pump to one of the zones. It runs the most and is the most critical.

Oh, and anyone know which cartridge fits the 007-F5?

Anyone see how the 007e ECM has performed, considering the concerns about the magnets in this post? Post by SMITTY - New Tech Ain't Always Great - New ECM Circulators From Taco

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”