Putting my AA130 to use

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Mon. Nov. 07, 2022 4:30 pm

Just the boiler vessel isn't extremely heavy. If I had to guess, I'd give it 300-350 pounds maybe. Me and another guy slid mine down a ramp, which was a sheet of plywood over the basement stairs. Then I was able to get it into position and hoist it up by myself. Once suspended, I just slid the base underneath and lowered the boiler vessel on. It all went pretty smoothly lol.

Is that a picture of it in your basement?

Retro_Origin
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1957 Axeman Anderson 130
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat / Pea

Post by Retro_Origin » Mon. Nov. 07, 2022 5:11 pm

Lightning wrote:
Mon. Nov. 07, 2022 4:30 pm
Just the boiler vessel isn't extremely heavy. If I had to guess, I'd give it 300-350 pounds maybe. Me and another guy slid mine down a ramp, which was a sheet of plywood over the basement stairs. Then I was able to get it into position and hoist it up by myself. Once suspended, I just slid the base underneath and lowered the boiler vessel on. It all went pretty smoothly lol.

Is that a picture of it in your basement?
Neighbor has an engine hoist I can borrow, I'll just put it in a heavy duty cart and wheel it to the bilco doors, then back with the engine hoist lower it down onto the cart and then I can probably fit the engine hoist in the basement and put it on blocks till I can paint it.
SO, that's a picture of the chicken house, there's a roof leak a few feet away from where the boiler sat so there was a good amount of moisture there. I didn't see much rust at all in the base, looked really good. I think someone painted and restored the whole thing in the past 5-10 years. I actually contemplated just putting it back together and screwing the paint job....but knew I'd never forgive myself.

Retro_Origin

Post by Retro_Origin » Sat. Dec. 03, 2022 8:15 pm

So I told my wife that all I want for Christmas is to have the axeman online before the new year!
Finally got it down in the basement where it’s dry. Base got a quick paint job after wire wheeling and flap disc. The surface is pretty pocky and scaly from previous paint and corrosion. Thanks swyman for the color inspiration! Not too worried about it since inside looks great with no heavy flaking or breakthrough areas.
Really wanted to get this inside so I could try to flush out some of the sludge. From carrying it down we had some gook spill out. I take it this is one more reason why to pull water from the top of the boiler, however I’m seeing some streaks/sludge skidding in my radiant tubing, not sure if this is coming from the keystoker or what..but I don't like it! Is this something I should have an in-line screen for? Took the garden hose in through the coil opening and really blasted it.
F01B8DF3-CAA4-4837-8F3F-B26B7C768570.jpeg
.JPEG | 996KB | F01B8DF3-CAA4-4837-8F3F-B26B7C768570.jpeg
I’m impressed how clean and smooth the burn chamber surfaces are.
7CC567F4-91A6-4ADE-8BD9-023DD047CB2F.jpeg
.JPEG | 833KB | 7CC567F4-91A6-4ADE-8BD9-023DD047CB2F.jpeg
Have the motor and fan assembly strapped to basement post so doesn’t leak and the fan plate is screwed to it so it doesn’t bear on the shaft. This motor is pretty old, can someone suggest an off the shelf replacement? Wish I could use a 1/6th hp oil burner motor because I have a brand new one! Had a stud previously broke that still leaked after I did a partial fix for my chicken house run. Made a drill bushing that fit exactly in the coil plate with the tap drill size as the Id. Had coil plate in place during drilling, this way when I turn the stud threads it will match up with the 1/2" hole in the coil plate. (1/8-27 npt into boiler wall)

Attachments

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Dec. 04, 2022 8:30 am

Another Copper Colored Coal Burn'in Contraption!!!

If you are worried about gunk getting into your system from the old rusty boiler, you could put a Wye strainer in line. That will catch the big chunks.

You better get that thing fired up. Its coal out! :D

-Don

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Mon. Dec. 05, 2022 10:37 am

Love that color (but I'm a little biased) and enjoy reading your builds!

Retro_Origin

Post by Retro_Origin » Tue. Dec. 06, 2022 7:37 pm

Drilling out stud with plate and bushing in place for lineup Tapping 1/8-27 Install stud with plate in place Room to tighten more or weld it would spring a leak!

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Wed. Dec. 07, 2022 9:19 am

Keep up the great progress! 🙂

Retro_Origin

Post by Retro_Origin » Sat. Dec. 10, 2022 12:59 pm

Fully painted! Basement paint booth Highly effective ventilation to prevent spouse irritation Base placed! Ready for the flop!

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sat. Dec. 10, 2022 2:36 pm

Oooooooo... That is beautiful!

Retro_Origin

Post by Retro_Origin » Sat. Dec. 10, 2022 3:06 pm

Flip and flop all by myself!
image.jpg
.JPG | 887.1KB | image.jpg
When I flipped it I heard a jangle.....looks like either these pieces were left in from assembly or some sort of repair was done and they couldn’t get the remnants out! Not crazy about it but hey it looks great and hasn’t leaked!
image.jpg
.JPG | 885KB | image.jpg

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Sat. Dec. 10, 2022 3:13 pm

Nice job, I will say it will change color as it ages like the color of real copper but still looks good!

mozz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 1982 AA-130 Steam

Post by mozz » Sat. Dec. 10, 2022 3:18 pm

The Great Oz would be proud of you. I may have spray painted mine a long time ago, but it's mostly gone.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Dec. 10, 2022 4:25 pm

Nice!

Just a few pipes away from firing it up! Love the "Instant Paint Booth"! :lol:

Retro_Origin

Post by Retro_Origin » Sat. Dec. 10, 2022 7:42 pm

StokerDon wrote:
Sat. Dec. 10, 2022 4:25 pm
Just a few pipes away from firing it up! Love the "Instant Paint Booth"! :lol:
Seriously! Everything works just a matter of pipes! I had to shim the base to keep the thing level, about 3/4 on one side, should I fill in the air gap with something? What would be best? wasn't really interested in doing pavers with grout on the floor...

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Dec. 11, 2022 9:53 am

Retro_Origin wrote:
Sat. Dec. 10, 2022 7:42 pm
Seriously! Everything works just a matter of pipes! I had to shim the base to keep the thing level, about 3/4 on one side, should I fill in the air gap with something? What would be best? wasn't really interested in doing pavers with grout on the floor...
Most people use a small, self leveling concreate pad to set it on. That is probably the best way to get it level.

You don't really need to seal the base to the floor, but keep in mind that flyash will constantly leak out of the gaps.

That reminds me, I didn't seal mine yet. :oops:

-Don

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”