Use boiler hot water coil in summer

Schnell
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey 92

Post by Schnell » Mon. Aug. 16, 2021 12:36 pm

Getting ready to install a coal boiler in my new house and was debating a summer/vacations backup. It came to mind could I just use an electric boiler to keep the coal one hot when shutdown and still use the built in coil for hot water? Keeping the coal boiler hot all summer would fight off rust real well for sure.

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Mon. Aug. 16, 2021 11:07 pm

What would be the cost? Using electricity for that may prove to be quite costly. Best thing for the boiler would be to keep the coal fire going all year. Depending on your coal prices that may not be the most economical choice either.

Schnell
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey 92

Post by Schnell » Tue. Aug. 17, 2021 2:03 pm

Not against burning all summer but not dealing with ashes all summer has some value. If we want to take a 2 week vacation gotta keep things from freezing somehow in the winter.

Electric boiler is just as efficient as an electric water heater, 100%. Electric rates are regulated right now we pay about .12/KWH consistently. Propane we will just say the skies the limit without getting political. Buying a backup propane boiler would also prove to be quite expensive as well, about twice as much as electric boiler. In addition there is no annual maintenance in electric boiler, modern modcon's are a sensor nightmare to say the least.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Aug. 17, 2021 2:49 pm

Electric boiler is a great way to provide short term heat in the winter. The downside of using it for summer DHW is the amount of heat that the boiler will shed in the basement, and up the chimney if not unhooked. An electric water heater is completely insulated with spray foam...not the case with the Keystoker. If you decide to go this route I would consider insulating the boiler with foil faced foam board or rigid fiberglass, with the seams taped.

ShawnTRD
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA6 (New in April 2014)
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Rice
Other Heating: Weil Mclain WGO-2 (Net 75k BTU)

Post by ShawnTRD » Thu. Aug. 26, 2021 9:57 pm

I burn all summer. I have a 2/3 full ask pan every week. I love it.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Thu. Aug. 26, 2021 10:04 pm

Run mine all summer too, about the same on the ash as well.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”