Axeman Anderson 130 boiler tin

50hp
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA6 and Axeman Anderson 130
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: American Standard no. 1 redflash and Chappee C26
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 single
Coal Size/Type: Rice/ Pea/ Nut
Other Heating: Jensen wood furnace, Weil McLain oil boiler

Post by 50hp » Wed. Aug. 11, 2021 8:38 pm

Hello all, I'm new to the forums :out: . I have a small collection of boilers (hand fired and stokers). My newest acquirement is a Axeman Anderson 130, and I have two main questions about it. #1 can I run rice coal in it? #2 This one came with the tin work, and I've never seen one with the tin on it or what one is supposed to look like with the tin (paint scheme). Does anyone have a photo of one with the tin on one?

I'm excited to get this thing painted up and heating my house this year. Any tips and tricks I need to know about the aa130 would be much appreciated 😀. My keystoker KA6 got a hole in it about a year and a half ago(haven't gotten the time to rebuild it, so I emergency bought a chappee hand fired boiler to heat for now. I've had enough of bit coal and all the fun that comes with it so I'm definitely excited to have a stoker back in my place. Thank you guys for any and all help you can give me :yes:

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Aug. 11, 2021 8:57 pm

If I recall correctly, Pete Axeman said they've only sold four with the tin work so that would be a very rare beast. Axeman's website has some pics or maybe drawings of it I believe.

50hp

Post by 50hp » Thu. Aug. 12, 2021 8:41 am

Thank you coaledsweat, I'll have to take a look on their website. And that would be really neat if I had a rare one.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Aug. 12, 2021 9:50 am

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Fri. Aug. 13, 2021 9:05 am

I ran my 1959 130M on Rice coal for an entire heating season. Over 5 ton of Rice went through it. It ran great in the Winter but I did have problems with puff backs in the warm weather so watch out for that.

Axeman Anderson 1959 130M

Check your grate rollers, they are usually stuck and flat spotted. Check the ring at the bottom of the fire chamber where it sticks down into the ash pit. That part can be burnt and damaged. Check the fan for cracks and make sure all the bolts are in it. Check the transfer head brass and put a new packing ring in it.

Here's a couple hundred videos to look at.

Good luck with your new toy!
-Don

50hp

Post by 50hp » Fri. Aug. 13, 2021 1:27 pm

Thanks Don, been watching your videos for a few years now, definitely learned alot from them. Been slowly re watching your axeman videos since I bought this one. I'm hoping I can find somewhere to get pea coal near me (7 springs area pa) but if not it's good to know it'll run the rice coal. It's definitely a very different beast from what I got used to with my keystoker and Alaska stokers.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”