wood smell on lined chimney running coal

djm123456
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by djm123456 » Thu. Jul. 15, 2021 9:19 pm

After taking a bath, I can smell a wood smell although I use Antracite, I had a DOUBLE liner put in and also furnace put in. YET there are OTHER times I smell nothing at all. I am not sure if this is normal, I have been pinged between chimney sweep and plummer and still not resolved., HELP? THOUGHTS? Resolution or just NORMAL??? confused..

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Jul. 16, 2021 8:16 am

First and foremost do you have a CO detector? If not get one with readout. A CO detector does not go off when it measures any amount of CO. They have thresholds based on time, e.g if I recall correctly OSHA standard is 40 ppm for one hour so it may go off if it exceeds 40 ppm for one hour. That's just an example, it's probably lower.

If you have one with a readout you can better understand what is going on. Ideally it should read 0 but that is not always the case, especially if you have gas cooking stove. The one I had recorded the maximum so it you were away from it for any length of time you would know where it got to.

Specifically why you would smell wood I don't know. Is it really strong smell or just light odor? Is their some other source like neighbor who started using outdoor fireplace? Many years ago I could smell wood burning in the house. Turns out it was the neighbor with his brand new outdoor fireplace, at the time wood burning wasn't common so smelling smoke was somewhat alarming. Kind of freaked me out for a while. It is the season for that so perhaps that is it, especially if it's in the evening.

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Fri. Jul. 16, 2021 9:16 am

Don't know your location or the type of building your in, but this heat brings out all kinds of weird odors in old buildings.

djm123456

Post by djm123456 » Fri. Jul. 16, 2021 11:56 am

sometimes nothing, other times something, it could be many factors one thing i will say I wont add drama here there ARE smoke alarms NOTHING goes off.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Jul. 16, 2021 12:28 pm

A smoke alarm doesn't detect CO. A CO detector is something you should have under normal circumstances. CO is colorless and odorless, it has specific gravity nearly identical to air and will travel along natural air currents in a house.

LeoinRI
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Fonderies de Lion
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: J.S. Peckham Chicago #10, Weso, Our Glenwood 111, Sougland Excelsior 183

Post by LeoinRI » Fri. Jul. 16, 2021 6:39 pm

Good evening,

I have an older home with a chimney that was used with a wood stove in the past. During certain conditions when the chimney is colder than the outside air, a down draft occurs resulting in a mild creosote smell in the room. My questions for you are has this chimney been used to exhaust a wood stove in the past and are you sure it is wood smoke not creosote you are smelling?
Leo

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Jul. 16, 2021 8:45 pm

Idon't know where ya are, buthere on the hill, we've had rain every day for a month--my back block chimney has always been hooked up to my wood beastly stove--I don't bother with a cap so the rain gets in the chimney & like Leo said---I, on occasion will smell creosote.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Fri. Jul. 16, 2021 9:33 pm

You could avoid taking a bath.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Jul. 16, 2021 10:14 pm

By God, there's the answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You still da-man Richard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sat. Jul. 17, 2021 8:31 am

Running the bath water probably starts the water heater. Is the smell stronger there? What is the temperature setting? How close to wood is the vent pipe?

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Jul. 17, 2021 10:35 am

How tight is your house and do you have neighbors with a wood stove or fireplace ?

My house is old and a bit drafty - especially the field stone foundation basement. Sometimes, when my neighbor is running his fireplace, I get a wood smoke smell drawn into the basement and then to other parts of the house through the furnace ducts by the natural convection currents of my house.

Paul

djm123456

Post by djm123456 » Sun. Jul. 18, 2021 5:03 pm

I have marks on the chimney which LOOK like burn marks. I have had a DOUBLE liner in here. Again, I burn COAL not wood. NO its not the neighbors. One person said some smell is normal, again I have had the ChIMNEY DOUBLE liner AND the furnace cleaned. IF it were truly burning the house would have been history a while ago, so simple so complex.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Jul. 18, 2021 5:59 pm

Creosote don't need heat to smell--lil rain will do it. Hell, go for a triple liner if you're so inclined--why did you put the liner in the first place?????????? A chimney has to be really trashed not to use it as is!!

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Jul. 22, 2021 10:26 am

I have a chimney that used to serve a wood boiler. In the summer when my oil boiler was running (different chimney) it would cause a downdraft in the other chimney, along with a creosote smell.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Jul. 23, 2021 1:24 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Sun. Jul. 18, 2021 5:59 pm
Creosote don't need heat to smell--lil rain will do it. Hell, go for a triple liner if you're so inclined--why did you put the liner in the first place?????????? A chimney has to be really trashed not to use it as is!!
When I got my Glenwood range, the former owner only used wood in it and ran it slow, so there was quite a creosote buildup in the oven flues. It hadn't been used in at least a year but it stunk of creosote so bad I moved it out next to the barn 100 feet from the house until I could clean it. Anytime I stepped out my back door and it wasn't windy, I could smell it. And it didn't need a really damp day, either. :o

Took a few hours with a putty knife and wire brush to get the worst of the tarry creosote out. Then, once the range was hooked up, a few hours of a very hot coal fire to cook out the last traces of it.

On the recommendation of some here, one year I burned green wood near the end of the heating season to put a protective layer of creosote in the stove to prevent rust - but could not stand the house stinking of creosote all summer, so I don't do that anymore.

Amazing how little it takes,.... and how long creosote small can last,... and how hot you have to get it to burn it all out of places you can't get to ! :o

Paul

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”