Wagner stoker not maintaining fire

MarkG
Stoker Coal Boiler: Wagner
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by MarkG » Fri. Jul. 02, 2021 9:24 am

Good morning!

Yesterday I got home to my Wagner's fire out. Rebuilt the fire and noticed that it's only kicking on when the water calls for heat. It used to kick on for a few minutes every hour to maintain the fire. The fire went out again last night so based on some research here, I'm thinking my timer may have gone bad. I have a Honeywell timer, guessing it's the mercury style, but I haven't had a chance to take the cover off yet to inspect. Is there a test process that can confirm that it's bad? I have no literature on this stoker and have been searching for the past nine years to find some.

Thanks!

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Jul. 02, 2021 10:09 am

Sounds like the timer to me. Is the timer running? Or perhaps the switch in it is gone?

MarkG

Post by MarkG » Fri. Jul. 02, 2021 10:38 am

I haven't had a chance to dig in yet as I had to leave for work. I'll be taking a look at it when I get home. Anything in particular I should look for? Also, if it is dead, is there a preferred timer for stokers like mine? Hopefully I can find something local in stock since this heats the hot water as well.

MarkG

Post by MarkG » Fri. Jul. 02, 2021 8:15 pm

Took the cover off the timer and it's not moving. It is a Honeywell type S400A2K0A1. Also found a Telechron model number on it, 661M2864, type B3. Internet search nets next to nothing. Going to visit the local plumbing/heating supply store tomorrow to see if they have or can get something that can replace it.

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Fri. Jul. 02, 2021 9:27 pm

You might also try Mark's supply. They sold me my keystoker boiler and carry a lot of parts for various manufacturers... They should have an equivalent replacement timer in stock

Contact

230 S. Main Street
Shenandoah, PA 17976
P: 570-462-0748

You could also switch to a solid state timer per the link in my signature.

MarkG

Post by MarkG » Fri. Jul. 02, 2021 9:34 pm

nepacoal wrote:
Fri. Jul. 02, 2021 9:27 pm
You might also try Mark's supply. They sold me my keystoker boiler and carry a lot of parts for various manufacturers... They should have an equivalent replacement timer in stock

Contact

230 S. Main Street
Shenandoah, PA 17976
P: 570-462-0748

You could also switch to a solid state timer per the link in my signature.
Thank you, that's actually where I'm going tomorrow morning. I'm surprised this switch failed. It's getting power, it just isn't turning.

Going to check out the solid state timer in your signature. Might be a better solution in the long run.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Jul. 03, 2021 8:06 am

MarkG wrote:
Fri. Jul. 02, 2021 9:34 pm
I'm surprised this switch failed.
This is a common problem for mechanical timers. Your lucky it didn't stop working during a timer cycle. Then you would have had big problems.

After 50 years or so the little clock motor just stops working.

-Don

MarkG

Post by MarkG » Sat. Jul. 03, 2021 10:54 am

StokerDon wrote:
Sat. Jul. 03, 2021 8:06 am
This is a common problem for mechanical timers. Your lucky it didn't stop working during a timer cycle. Then you would have had big problems.

After 50 years or so the little clock motor just stops working.

-Don
You're right, I wasn't even thinking of that. It was close to its next cycle, too.

I found a dip switch timer at Mark's in Shenandoah. Super knowledgeable guy. It was a bit pricier than I hoped to pay but it saves me time and I'm helping a local business. I'll build a spare in case it's needed in the future.

The timer model is Airotronics TGKAD11023/1023MEE1F.

120VAC, 12 AMP

Thanks everyone for your input!

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”