out door wood boiler conversion to auto stoker

boatmanjj24
Other Heating: natural gas/ wood

Post by boatmanjj24 » Fri. Mar. 19, 2021 3:36 pm

New guy on the block hear from northern MI. no ware close to coal country but I can buy it buy it by the one ton sack locally. I was wondering if there was a option out there to add a auto stoker to a fire box doer on a out doer boiler? If so what are some brand names to search for? My boiler will be in a shed of its own and has only under fire forced draft no over fire. Also what type of coal will I need to source out to make this work thank you.

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Fri. Mar. 19, 2021 5:17 pm

I wish there was a conversion kit as a lot of forest eaters would be burning coal instead.

I have sent you a PM.

boatmanjj24
Other Heating: natural gas/ wood

Post by boatmanjj24 » Fri. Mar. 19, 2021 5:34 pm

Izaharis sorry no pm in my box try again Thanks.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Mar. 20, 2021 8:48 am

boatmanjj24 wrote:
Fri. Mar. 19, 2021 3:36 pm
My boiler will be in a shed of its own and has only under fire forced draft no over fire. Also what type of coal will I need to source out to make this work thank you.
Welcome to the forum.

I've never seen any kind of a conversion "kit" for this. You would have to do it yourself. Just get an old coal stoker that is big enough for what you are heating and fabricate what you need to put the stoker in it.

The other option would be to get a coal stoker boiler and heat the wood boiler with it. That way you heat with automatic coal feed or wood.
Axeman 130 Heats Wood Boiler

It sounds like you don't have a wood boiler yet? If so why would you want to get a wood boiler and convert it to coal when you could just get a coal boiler to begin with?

Also, why put it outside? It will burn a LOT more coal out in the cold. The boiler should be in the basement.

-Don

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Mar. 20, 2021 10:31 am

boatmanjj24 wrote:
Fri. Mar. 19, 2021 3:36 pm
New guy on the block hear from northern MI. no ware close to coal country but I can buy it buy it by the one ton sack locally. I was wondering if there was a option out there to add a auto stoker to a fire box doer on a out doer boiler? If so what are some brand names to search for? My boiler will be in a shed of its own and has only under fire forced draft no over fire. Also what type of coal will I need to source out to make this work thank you.
Not a fan of your natural gas as a primary fuel????

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Sat. Mar. 20, 2021 5:43 pm

EFM, Van Wert, Motor Stokor and others used to make anthracite conversion stokers, typically mounted through the ash/bottom door of the boiler. I used one from 2010-2016 and it was awesome.

Mike

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sat. Mar. 20, 2021 5:58 pm

You would be better served getting an anthracite designed appliance and offing the OWB. Just my two cents.

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Sun. Mar. 21, 2021 6:46 am

coaledsweat wrote:
Sat. Mar. 20, 2021 5:58 pm
You would be better served getting an anthracite designed appliance and offing the OWB. Just my two cents.
From one Michigander to another, I second this advice. I fed a Central Boiler for 7 years before switching over to coal and was the best decision I have made. Yes you have to buy the coal if you have free access to wood, but even though I have not done the math, I know I am money ahead when you factor time, wear and tear on equipment, diesel fuel, saw gas, chains, just the laundry list that goes with cutting wood. I'm in SE Michigan so it's not ideal getting coal for me but I just take 1 day out of the year to drive to PA and pick it up....years supply. If you want some boiler buying advice, please PM me!

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”