VanWert VA600 help

LTStorm07
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1980 EFM DF520
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Heat pump / Propane

Post by LTStorm07 » Mon. Mar. 08, 2021 11:54 am

Good morning everyone!
It's been quite some time since I was on this forum as I originally joined back when I purchased my first house with an Alaska 140 dual feed in it. Well I have since sold that house, but the Alaska provided me many of years of cheap heat and aside form the occasional blower, or the whole convection blower going bad (I blame the 2 floods it saw), it worked great. Fast forward to now, I purchased a new home this past summer with a high efficiency heat pump, a modcon propane boiler, and a VW V600 (I believe it's a 600). I would like to return to using the coal boiler if at all possible. The coal boiler and modcon boiler are piped in parallel to a feed my indirect hot water heater and a hydroair coil at the end of the air handler for the heat pump. The damper zoning panel handles all the calls and dampers, but when the heat pump can't keep up, it triggers a basic relay to fire the propane boiler's central heat call. The same would occur for the coal boiler's aquastat. What I'm trying to figure out is it worth using the VW boiler and repairing the DHW coil, or should I replace it? The original owner heated with an outdoor wood boiler, then used the VW boiler. Unfortunately he developed cancer and couldn't tend to anything anymore so the wife had the outdoor wood boiler sold and a modcon boiler added. It literally looks the like VW was shutdown one day and never touched again, ashes still in the ash pan, 55 gallon drum 1/2 filled, and a 5 gallon bucket of buck still sitting in a 1/4 full coal bin. Unfortunately he passed and a few years later she moved and listed the home for sale. I believe it's been 7 years since the coal boiler ran.

House information:
Chimney is 30-35+ foot and even with a manual damper they have in the pipe and it closed, the bypass holes would still snuff out a lighter when it was almost 50 out since it draws hard. It has a 6 inch flue with concrete chimney blocks that were insulated when installed.

3100 sqft, 2 story built 2003 (original was an old farmhouse they knocked down and then build new ontop) - R19 in the walls, R30 ceiling but getting additional R30 blown on top. Basement (original basement floor and a few fieldstone walls of the old farmhouse) is just over 6ft high where the boiler and hvac equipment lives. The rest of the basement is block 7 ft ceiling. HVAC is forced air with 2 zones, one upstairs and one downstairs. I really want to try and fire the coal boiler to help keep the basement dry as we have a high water table and it'd help keep me from running a dehumidifier down there all summer long.

VW boiler:
I believe it is a VA600 round door model based on the dimensions and pipe sizing. It is actually a left hand feed model which I understand is less common? It is currently plumbed parallel to the modcon so that you either open the large ball valves of the modcon or the coal boiler. From the boiler, there there are 2 zones, one being the hydroair coil and the other the indirect hot water heater. Currently no tstat or circulators are hooked to the coal boiler because they moved the wires and tstat to the modcon. So I would have to change the circulators back to the VW aquastat. It currently has an old Honeywell triple L8024A and a Honeywell s400a timer. Everything is still wired as it was originally except the the circulator wire has wire nuts on the end and not connected to any pumps and the tstate wire goes to nothing and lays in a coil on top. As for the connection to the chimney, there was no baro in the pipe (maybe cause the draft could suck a cat across the room in and they never thought about it?) but there was a manual damper in the pipe. Unfortunately there is not a lot of room there, 1x 90 out the back and turned up, 1x16in straight section, 1x90 into a reducer 8->6in, and that reducer it connected right into the chimney. There literally might be a total of 3.5ft of pipe there before the chimney.

In an effort to get an idea how sound everything was I first started with the gears and stoker in the back (mind you there isn't a heck of a lot of clearance behind the boiler). I checked that all the gears were tight with no sheer pins broke, I was able to hand turn the motor a few times to make sure everything was broke free from just sitting so long. Once I confirmed that everything seemed okay, turn on power to the aquastat and crossed the tstat wires - all the relays clicked and the stoker began running without a hitch. All augers, gears, fans etc seemed to run without any odd noises etc. Everything was really quiet actually except you can hear the coal (buck) being pulled by the auger from drum. I let it run for about 10 mins, all seemed well, so I shut it down. The next thing I checked was the the DHW coil since these often leak. I started tearing the rear panel and insulation off. That was a chore because there is a 1.25 main return running behind the unit so its already tight with that and then there is only about 2ft - 30 inches of clearance total behind it and the wall / the chimney thimble. I cut the original tankless coil lines because of the indirect WH (installed in 2017 + new expansion tank at that time). Once the rear panel was off it had the obvious DHW coil leak at some point in time and I believe even an old PRV at once point was leaking. It looks like they had replaced the PRV since it had leaked. I then cleaned up the coil and rusted area around it with some brushes and a shop vac and here was the end result. Sorry for the rough pictures but its fairly dark. You'll see the big return pipe that's kind of in the way. I need to clean the stoker back off cause a bunch of rust and junk fell on it otherwise it was just dusty / grimy before. It also appears one of the studs on the top (2nd once from the right) had been broken off at some point and never fixed. Even the part below the DHW coil with the bolts (I assume this is where the exhaust travels looks like it must have had water sitting on it as it had rust built up on it as well.
IMG_20210307_182802.jpg
.JPG | 667.3KB | IMG_20210307_182802.jpg
IMG_20210307_182818.jpg
.JPG | 709.7KB | IMG_20210307_182818.jpg
IMG_20210307_182829.jpg
.JPG | 666.3KB | IMG_20210307_182829.jpg
My next test was to pressure test it. It actually passed the pressure test except the PRV needs to be replaced because its popping at 25 PSI instead of 30 PSI. I had 2 different pressure gauges attached and the both read 25 PSI when it was releasing. The good news is that let it sit for 2 days at 25PSI and did not see any leaks anywhere, including the ugly coil in the back. The inside of firebox was dry and not too rusty considering it has been sitting so long not cleaned. You all should have seen my 140 after it went 1/2 way deep in a flood. Anyway, now I'm trying to figure out what should be my next steps should be.

Is it worth fixing the DHW coil area by removing the nuts, plate and studs, then trying to have a plate welded over it, is the boiler kind of a lost cause cause of the damage etc from the coil? I mean it held water... I don't truly know the shape of the stoker assembly as it looks like it would literally be a nightmare to remove given the tight quarters behind the unity (2 ft I'd say between back of the firebox and the wall behind it. I checked the ash that was in the pan from the last time it was used and it looked good, matter of fact maybe even better than my 140's typically did so maybe the stoker and all are all working as intended. The original owner left multiple sheer pins, multiple augers, gears for the end of the auger that pulls coal from the drum etc. I just am not sure what they were all there for etc. I literally have no information and I'm figuring this out as I go. If it is too far gone, should I just replace the whole thing and call it a day. I got a quote for a new Keystoker ka6 for just under $8500 installed I was told, and if I went with the next step down, it'd be around $7500. The modcon currently has a net rating of just under 100k btu and that does the job no problem helping the heat pump, and tends to only need put out about less than 45k btus to help the heat pump when needed (even when it is 0). So I am not sure if I need the full KA6 or I can go for a lesser model. I would prefer to get the VW running as I am not looking to make the VW pretty or etc. I literally want it to just take over everything the modcon was doing. I'll even heat my DHW in the summer if I can keep the draft going. It can stay dirty, rusty, and hide in the dark basement as long as it does the job. :lol: If I need to pull it to do all the repairs, how heavy is this thing, as it looks like a bunch of black steel pipe cutting, and it'll be a bear to move. I have a professional welder / fab guy who already agreed to come over and weld it onsite if I need to - I think there is enough room behind it for him to MIG weld it (may be a bit uncomfortable though). I also talked to Matt Direnzo who said he'd be able in a few weeks to come over and check it / fire it up, if I need as well. I am just afraid of dumping money into it if it's not worth it.

Sorry for the long post but wanted to give all the details I had to make it easier to understand / visualize. I appreciate any insight or thoughts!
-Storm

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Mar. 08, 2021 12:11 pm

That just looks like minor surface rust to me. If it did not leak during your pressure test, I would guess the coil leaked at one time and was repaired, either by replacement just snugging the nuts. I see no reason to mess with it if it is not leaking. Go ahead and spray some penetrating fluid on the nuts, that way if you have to snug them in the future you will have a head start.

Do not use a manual pipe damper on a stoker, replace it with a baro and do a thorough cleaning of the flue pipe and back of the boiler.

Good call on having a pro stop by to look it over and fire it up. Assuming the stoker is in good shape it should run for many years.

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Mon. Mar. 08, 2021 5:41 pm

You are a lucky guy! You are a proud possessor of one of the finest machines on the market. I have rebuilt a couple of those units, well, more than a couple. There’s nothing in the back that should be alarming. Rob is right, looks only like surface rust. The bolts usually round over if it’s bad. You do wanna check that crack where the water was running down in to make sure that didn’t rust thru.I would be firing that bad boy up! Amount of money you’re going to spend on a new boiler would be the same amount spend on three or four years worth of heat and you already have a great boiler.

LTStorm07

Post by LTStorm07 » Mon. Mar. 08, 2021 5:59 pm

Rob and Scott,
I really appreciate your responses. I gave a good whack to that area below the coil and it's all solid. I was debating if a little rutland/hercules cement along that flat bolted edge just in case to seal the gases. There's nothing rusted through that I can find. I assume that I'm just sealing the exhaust gasses in there? The gasket behind the coil not sure what kind of shape but she holds water. I figured based on what you guys are saying, I'll finish cleaning it up, replace my PRV and have Matt Direnzo come over and help me fire it. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to put a bottle of hercules in it just to seal anything just in case? I really like the idea of leaving the coil alone until I for sure have an issue. If I don't have to mess with it and it holds water, I'm happy keeping it fired 24/7/365 (lots of hot water usage in this house between kids and jetted soaking tub). I'm half wondering what its story was with it but I'll never know. Kinda like the whole house, original gentleman hand built the whole house and there are so many things I'd like to ask but will never know.

LTStorm07

Post by LTStorm07 » Sun. Mar. 14, 2021 10:05 am

So I put a new PRV in and it leaks at the top of coil, gasket etc must be bad there and it's right where that stud was broken. I cleaned up around the top gasket and that's when I noticed the leak, maybe I cleaned the rust off holding the water in lol. I only used a hand wire brush even. Sounds like I'm taking that coil off anyway. I hit it with aerokroil to soak it, but I'm going to use my impact gun on the nuts to get them off. I guess is doesn't matter if I snap all the studs since I'm just going to have a plate welded over it? Then we'll see what I find behind the plate.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Mar. 14, 2021 10:29 am

LTStorm07 wrote:
Sun. Mar. 14, 2021 10:05 am
I guess is doesn't matter if I snap all the studs since I'm just going to have a plate welded over it? Then we'll see what I find behind the plate.
It's up to you and weather you need it done now or for next season.

If the coil doesn't leak, you could pull the coil, drill, tap and replace the broken studs. Then seal it up with a new gasket. You could have it back up and running today.

The most permanent way to fix it is to remove the coil and weld a plate over the whole. It will never leak again. You could then run an indirect water heater or a plate heat exchanger in front of your existing water heater.
IMG_3793.JPG
.JPG | 315KB | IMG_3793.JPG
IMG_3795.JPG
.JPG | 321.4KB | IMG_3795.JPG
-Don

Holdencoal

Post by Holdencoal » Sun. Mar. 14, 2021 12:46 pm

I would pull the coil and check inside. Maybe even use a HCI treatment to clean the inside of sludge and build up.

LTStorm07

Post by LTStorm07 » Sun. Mar. 14, 2021 12:56 pm

StokerDon wrote:
Sun. Mar. 14, 2021 10:29 am
It's up to you and weather you need it done now or for next season.

If the coil doesn't leak, you could pull the coil, drill, tap and replace the broken studs. Then seal it up with a new gasket. You could have it back up and running today.

The most permanent way to fix it is to remove the coil and weld a plate over the whole. It will never leak again. You could then run an indirect water heater or a plate heat exchanger in front of your existing water heater.
IMG_3793.JPG
IMG_3795.JPG

-Don
Hey Don,
With some heat + kroil + impact gun, every stud broke. :lol: I don't think there was possibility of saving them as they were practically welded on. I pulled the coil itself, but the inside of the boiler looks real rough. See the pictures - honestly, I'm worried it's too far gone now. It looks like it had been rusting or something on the inside. Now everything seemed solid inside, but there is soo much rust, dirt, debris, etc but how would you ever clear it all? Thankfully I decided to pull the coil to see what was up. aside from the plate, the coil doesnt look half bad lol.
IMG_20210314_124523.jpg
.JPG | 960.4KB | IMG_20210314_124523.jpg
IMG_20210314_124530.jpg
.JPG | 890.2KB | IMG_20210314_124530.jpg
IMG_20210314_124645.jpg
.JPG | 652.7KB | IMG_20210314_124645.jpg
IMG_20210314_124648.jpg
.JPG | 887.7KB | IMG_20210314_124648.jpg
IMG_20210314_124652.jpg
.JPG | 809.4KB | IMG_20210314_124652.jpg
IMG_20210314_124510.jpg
.JPG | 716.5KB | IMG_20210314_124510.jpg
Thanks!

LTStorm07

Post by LTStorm07 » Sun. Mar. 14, 2021 12:59 pm

Holdencoal wrote:
Sun. Mar. 14, 2021 12:46 pm
I would pull the coil and check inside. Maybe even use a HCI treatment to clean the inside of sludge and build up.
Well I don't know if sludge cleaner will clear this one! See the pics.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Mar. 14, 2021 2:33 pm

Nothin ventured, nothin gained L!! :)

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Mar. 14, 2021 3:38 pm

LTStorm07 wrote:
Sun. Mar. 14, 2021 12:56 pm
I pulled the coil itself, but the inside of the boiler looks real rough.
The coil, boiler stay rods and the walls of the boiler look fairly clean. You have a bunch of gunk on top of the firebox plate. Try to scrape as much of that gunk out as you can.

After that it would be best to pull the plumbing off of both boiler return ports and flush hot water through with a hose in through the DHW coil opening. It will take a lot of flushing to get it all out.

If you are going to removed the boiler and take it to a welder it would be easier to flush out when you have it outside.

-Don

LTStorm07

Post by LTStorm07 » Sun. Mar. 14, 2021 4:40 pm

StokerDon wrote:
Sun. Mar. 14, 2021 3:38 pm
The coil, boiler stay rods and the walls of the boiler look fairly clean. You have a bunch of gunk on top of the firebox plate. Try to scrape as much of that gunk out as you can.

After that it would be best to pull the plumbing off of both boiler return ports and flush hot water through with a hose in through the DHW coil opening. It will take a lot of flushing to get it all out.

If you are going to removed the boiler and take it to a welder it would be easier to flush out when you have it outside.

-Don
I'm going to try to clean it in place if I can since it looks like it'd be a royal pain to rip it out where it sits. In my basement I have drains in the floor thanks to a high water table so I'll just flush it with a hose and a scraper where it sits. I'll try to get the one return plug off , but I bet its never been pulled since the factory put it in. Right now I have been filling it through a 1.25 x 1.25 x 0.75 tee adapter on the other return right now, but maybe I can flush flush/drain it through the 3/4 return. I may even try to vacuum the debris and water out as well since my shopvac is a wet vac with a strainer / pump. Over the next day or two I'll work on flushing the inside real good to see how things look. Pics will come as I go, really trying to avoid replacing if I don't have to.

-LT

Holdencoal

Post by Holdencoal » Sun. Mar. 14, 2021 5:17 pm

You can try 8-way after a good scraping.

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Mar. 14, 2021 6:53 pm

LTStorm07 wrote:
Sun. Mar. 14, 2021 4:40 pm
but maybe I can flush flush/drain it through the 3/4 return.
90% of the gunk will still be in there if you do that. You need to get at least one of the return ports completely open. No pipes, no reducers, no bushings. Then you can get in there with your fingers if need be to get any metal scale out, hopefully it's not that bad.

If it's plumbed like most are one of the return ports will have a cast plug still in it. If so, remove it. You will likely have to cut it out. Here is one that I did a few years ago. I was amazed how much gunk was in there! And, this was after a good flushing out of the other return port.

-Don

Holdencoal

Post by Holdencoal » Sun. Mar. 14, 2021 9:00 pm

I watched these videos and thought why didn’t you use a pipe wrench with a four extended pipe attached?? 🧐

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”