ahs 260 puffed

Jkohanski
Stoker Coal Boiler: ahs s260
Coal Size/Type: pea
Other Heating: fuel oil

Post by Jkohanski » Thu. Feb. 25, 2021 9:23 pm

since november,I never had a single issue, but my last load of coal, 3 tons delivered feb 6th has been giving issues. it is not burning well. my ash temp has gone from 130 to 120, to keep fire height normal. tonight I poked the fire good looking for clinkers, coal stuck on sides. As a result fire droped, and fresh coal dumped in. I was in boiler room when fan came on, as temp in boiler went to 160. Decieded to watch things when got about 4 puff booms with fan on during the cycle to 185. Not bad puffs, but tested the chiminey pipes. my question is I thought a boom with fan running should not happen. was this a fluke since I droped fire with poking around, or do I need to look for a clog somewhere?

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Fri. Feb. 26, 2021 5:58 am

It sounds like it happened directly because you dropped the fire, which is a perfect storm for puff back, to much fresh coal and no open hot spot.. next time this happens try to prop open the sight flap so it’s getting more secondary air till you see an orange glow again.. but hopefully your setting changes will correct the fire height and you won’t have another issue, just keep in mind it’s going to take 2-4 days to really see the full effect of your setting adjustment.

Aehenc

Post by Aehenc » Fri. Feb. 26, 2021 6:40 am

hotblast1357 wrote:
Fri. Feb. 26, 2021 5:58 am
It sounds like it happened directly because you dropped the fire, which is a perfect storm for puff back, to much fresh coal and no open hot spot.. next time this happens try to prop open the sight flap so it’s getting more secondary air till you see an orange glow again.. but hopefully your setting changes will correct the fire height and you won’t have another issue, just keep in mind it’s going to take 2-4 days to really see the full effect of your setting adjustment.
very accurate remarks, I began to think about the correctness of using my system, now I will also correct it and wait for the result!

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Feb. 26, 2021 8:05 am

Exciting! Just make sure you have 3 screws in every stovepipe connection. Safety first!

Jkohanski
Stoker Coal Boiler: ahs s260
Coal Size/Type: pea
Other Heating: fuel oil

Post by Jkohanski » Fri. Feb. 26, 2021 7:47 pm

hotblast1357 wrote:
Fri. Feb. 26, 2021 5:58 am
Thanks hotblast, that is exactly what happened. I could smell little coal gas as fire dropped, and the ahs gravity feed dumped a lot of raw coal on top. Just thought with fan running it would clear the gas, but alas not the case. Yes all pipes have 3 screws per connection. Have set fire to 123deg, here is a pic of fire back to normal
IMG_20210226_184739310.jpg
.JPG | 174.8KB | IMG_20210226_184739310.jpg

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”