Adding on

Trumpeterb
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Pea
Other Heating: Electric baseboards (hopefully never use these again)

Post by Trumpeterb » Sun. Feb. 07, 2021 10:11 am

Just picked up my second load of coal for the season—2.3 tons of Blaschak pea coal—for my AHS130. I got 3 months out of my first 2.5 tons. Working on finishing my basement now and will be adding an additional loop to a manifold that feeds 4 European style radiant wall panels (model 22 I believe). The basement is very well insulated with a layer of R13 and an additional layer of R19 on the top 4 feet of wall, and 1.5” rigid foam and R13 on the bottom 4 feet, in front of the block. I am interested to see how much more coal I burn once these are up and running. Is anyone using these types of radiators? How efficient have you found them to be? My research seems to indicate they are great, but I always like to hear first hand accounts.

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Sun. Feb. 07, 2021 11:19 am

When I lived in England they were in every place I lived and worked. Worked well. They have a dial on them to cut back heat. These were all on gas fired boilers though so no experience with coal fired. I should add that the climate there is much more mild then here. It snowed once the four years I was there.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Feb. 07, 2021 1:26 pm

Those panel radiators work very well if sized and installed correctly.

Sounds like the basement should hold heat pretty well based on your description. I don't expect you will see much of a change in the coal bin.

Trumpeterb

Post by Trumpeterb » Sat. Feb. 13, 2021 7:06 pm

The first of 4 panel radiators is installed and working. So far so good!!

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Feb. 13, 2021 7:11 pm

Nice!
Trumpeterb wrote:
Sun. Feb. 07, 2021 10:11 am
Working on finishing my basement now and will be adding an additional loop to a manifold that feeds 4 European style radiant wall panels (model 22 I believe).
I thought you already had manifolds? Each one of these should just be connected to the manifolds off the boiler, not a "loop".

-Don

Trumpeterb

Post by Trumpeterb » Sat. Feb. 13, 2021 7:59 pm

StokerDon wrote:
Sat. Feb. 13, 2021 7:11 pm
Nice!

I thought you already had manifolds? Each one of these should just be connected to the manifolds off the boiler, not a "loop".

-Don

All good. 4 port manifold. Home run schematic for all 4 rads.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Feb. 13, 2021 9:22 pm

Wow, that looks pretty nice!

-Don

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”