Coal Boiler Dealers in NW Pa.

RickLee

Post by RickLee » Sun. Jul. 27, 2008 6:51 am

How do I go about finding a dealer in my area that has a clue as to what he's talking about? I was so close to putting money on a KA-6 that I could taste it. The dealer came and measured for it and said "It'll fit here fine". This area IS @40inches by 48 inches. I went and looked at a unit he installed and much to my surprise it would take up all of the 48" and was about 96 inches long overall! I was so PO'd I couldn't even get upset. This threw up a red flag . Now I'm looking for a dealer with a clue and dreading what I'll spend on oil this winter. Any help out there?
[email protected]. Ignore the spamblocker message as I will get any email replies to which I would prefer

vtec350

Post by vtec350 » Sun. Jul. 27, 2008 9:25 am

Rick,
The KA-6 measures 62" L x 24" W x 54" H, the lenth does include the hopper, someone needs to remeasure bop2 :oops2: :hammer: :D

RickLee

Post by RickLee » Sun. Jul. 27, 2008 11:53 am

vtec,
Over the power vent/duct work to the outer edge of the larger coal hopper is 8ft allowing 3"-4" for service work. The boiler wasn't even lit and the domestic coil wasn't being utilized which caused me even more concern with this dealer. In his defense I think he may just be getting into the coal boilers. Still a poor effort to make a sale. After I asked how this would fit in,much to his surprise aftrer HE measured for it, he just decided I only needed the KA-2 on the spur oif the moment. The whole situation threw upa lot of red flags. Although out of his control the people were rude/borderline flakey.
Thanks for your input though, Rick

vtec350

Post by vtec350 » Sun. Jul. 27, 2008 12:15 pm

Rick,

Before you settle on the KAA-2 make sure that's the boiler that will handle your needs. What is the sq. ft. of your house, how many gals. of oil do you use per year. Do you plan on finishing the basement, heating the garage or adding any additions in the future, if so the KAA-2 might not handle the extra space. The KAA-2 is a good boiler but it only has a 100lb hopper, you'll be filling it every other day and it has a smaller blower motor.

Dave

RickLee

Post by RickLee » Mon. Jul. 28, 2008 9:25 pm

vtec,
again thanks for your input. Now you know why I'm looking for a reputable dealer. I think his strength is in hot air furnaces and stoves. His quickness to downsize the boiler as a solution really put me on alert as to knowledge of boilers.
RickLee

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”