Mid-season AHS130 coal usage

Trumpeterb
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Pea
Other Heating: Electric baseboards (hopefully never use these again)

Post by Trumpeterb » Sat. Jan. 18, 2020 10:11 am

About half way through the hearing season, and my initial load of coal is now gone. I got a second load the other day, and calculated that I used an average of 56-57 lbs of coal per day from the beginning of the season until now. Not too bad, I think. This is my first year burning coal, so I have nothing to compare those numbers to, but roughly just under a bucket and a half per day sounds pretty good considering. It has been much nicer this year than the past 12 years when I heated with a wood boiler...I don’t miss the mess, the labor, or the headaches.

Egghead
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130
Other Heating: Outdoor wood furnace oil boiler

Post by Egghead » Sat. Jan. 18, 2020 12:06 pm

This is my first year too. Different furnace though. I have a 79 AA130. I’m around 75lbs a day average. How much wood were you burning? I was burning about a cord a week with the owb.

Trumpeterb

Post by Trumpeterb » Sat. Jan. 18, 2020 12:19 pm

Egghead wrote:
Sat. Jan. 18, 2020 12:06 pm
This is my first year too. Different furnace though. I have a 79 AA130. I’m around 75lbs a day average. How much wood were you burning? I was burning about a cord a week with the owb.
I was using g a gasification boiler inside, and I was burning between 8-10 cords of wood per season.

Egghead

Post by Egghead » Sat. Jan. 18, 2020 12:38 pm

Can’t really help with consumption as we’re not apples to apples. I was just curious to another member switching from wood. Sounds like you are making out anyway. I could get all the free wood I wanted dropped off but time is money and a cord or wood is a a lot of work to cut and split.

Trumpeterb

Post by Trumpeterb » Sat. Jan. 18, 2020 2:00 pm

Egghead wrote:
Sat. Jan. 18, 2020 12:38 pm
Can’t really help with consumption as we’re not apples to apples. I was just curious to another member switching from wood. Sounds like you are making out anyway. I could get all the free wood I wanted dropped off but time is money and a cord or wood is a a lot of work to cut and split.
Yes indeed! I spent most of my summer cutting and splitting...then got up at 6:30 AM every day during the colder seasons to load the boiler, and then loaded it again before bedtime. Woke up several times to a freezing cold house because the wood bridges and the fire wen out. There was constant dust flying around the garage, coating everything. I don’t miss any of that at all.

Egghead

Post by Egghead » Sat. Jan. 18, 2020 3:00 pm

I know that far too well! We had to load 3 times a day here. I empty an ash bin every other day now. With the AA130 and the right bin size you rarely do anything but empty an ash pan.

Trumpeterb

Post by Trumpeterb » Sat. Jan. 18, 2020 3:44 pm

Egghead wrote:
Sat. Jan. 18, 2020 3:00 pm
I know that far too well! We had to load 3 times a day here. I empty an ash bin every other day now. With the AA130 and the right bin size you rarely do anything but empty an ash pan.
Someday I will add a bin, hopefully. Filling a hopper now. I can generally get away with filling it every 3-4 days, but I try to top it off every day if I can.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”