Please help leisure line wl110

Alytwyn
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure line wl110
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by Alytwyn » Thu. Jan. 02, 2020 9:53 am

I installed a leisure line wl110 about a month ago, I have had nothing but problems. I’m new to coal. I do plumbing and heating for a living. I have a radiant system in my shop which the wl 110 is hooked up to. My first problems were not being able to keep the fire during the idle. I have that figured out and fixed. My new problem is I have the stoker and the air wide open. The flames won’t get over half way to the diffuser. I have spoke with tech multiple times. They are telling me those flames should engulf that entire burner box. I can’t the water to heat past 90 degrees. I have by passes cut in to supplement the cold water coming back. Please help I have spent thousands and I have little to no results to show for

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Jan. 02, 2020 10:44 am

Tech support should do a lot more than just tell you what you 'should' see...

Heating up the huge mass of a slab of concrete in winter is a pretty steep slope to climb...once warmed to desired temp though it only needs to be kept 'topped off'.
How many pounds of coal burned needed to raise your concrete slab temp 1 degree?
Last edited by McGiever on Thu. Jan. 02, 2020 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Phil May
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 700
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Liesure Line
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Phil May » Thu. Jan. 02, 2020 10:59 am

Is your Baro Dampner set correctly. It is a huge setting to get heat out of these. It sounds like your not getting enough combustion air. Or maybee not enough feed. My pioneer had a gasket behind the grate that would leak combustion air if not in correctly.

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Thu. Jan. 02, 2020 11:01 am

Did you buy it new? Almost sounds like you are not getting 120v to the combustion motor. Can you check it or possibly wire it directly to 120v, bypassing the boilers controls?

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Thu. Jan. 02, 2020 11:05 am

Burning buck needs ~.05 draft...if your frustration warrants, try burning some rice for comparision...

If building is tightly sealed you may need to supply some outside air for better draft/fire...

How tall and what size is your chimney?
Last edited by McGiever on Thu. Jan. 02, 2020 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Jan. 02, 2020 11:37 am

nepacoal wrote:
Thu. Jan. 02, 2020 11:01 am
Did you buy it new? Almost sounds like you are not getting 120v to the combustion motor. Can you check it or possibly wire it directly to 120v, bypassing the boilers controls?
Good suggestions. Also make sure the blower is spinning in the proper direction.

kcarr
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA-600 Custom & Probably the only guy in America with my Stoker Boiler in my Den.
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Oil as back up, mostly used for summer domestic hot water

Post by kcarr » Thu. Jan. 02, 2020 10:02 pm

Alytwyn,
These guys make some good points. As said, be sure you are getting enough feeder air, if the building is real tight, open a window. I am curious too, just how tall is the chimney and is there good draft. Hang in there these guys will eventually give you enough guidance to get that leisure line unit running like a blast furnace.

Where the heck are you located ?
Ken

jeff216410

Post by jeff216410 » Mon. Jan. 20, 2020 9:47 am

I owned a wl110 but sold the house, so I'm working off memory here (which isn't so good!); just to understand what you have you have the idle setting working meaning it goes high burn-stoker fan on for a time period, and then toggles off and sits idle, based on the times you set? So I'm assuming since it never gets to temp, it's always on the high setting? The flames on high burn should be touching or into the tubes. How old is the boiler? I had one of the first ones and I remember getting an upgraded fan from LL which made it more into a blast furnace. As other said check the fan with direct 120 volts, and maybe feel around it to make sure the air is not leaking out at its mounting flange. I do not recall if there is a gasket there or how it is sealed. I've burned buck coal, it did work, was harder to maintain an idle, and the coal went off the end maybe not fully burned, but it did work well when I ran out of rice. Here is one thing to check - Is the iron burner bed properly set down and into the sheet metal base it sits in? It comes right out, but must be seated down and in. If it is dislodged or not seated down and in, it will leak combustion air and not force it through the coal. Maybe if you burn the coal down you could check this. If your fan is running at speed, sounds like the air is not getting to the coal bed.

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Mon. Jan. 20, 2020 10:13 am

OP made 1 post and vanished...???

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Jan. 20, 2020 11:17 am