Van Wert VA-600

mjm4jc

Post by mjm4jc » Mon. Dec. 30, 2019 10:47 am

Hello everyone and Happy "almost" New Year!

I have a Van Wert VA-600 and just cleaned the pipes and serviced it. I have a few questions that I have been wanting to ask for a long time but never got around to doing so. So here goes:

There's a slot/opening that goes across the back of the boiler right underneath the pipe. It seems like it goes across the entire width of the boiler and is only about 1/4" deep. I can just about get a flat tip screwdriver in there. Anyway, that slot is always filled with ash/powder when I pull the pipe off. Anyone know what it's for?

Secondly, I noticed that sometimes when I let the hopper get too low with coal, the auger starts to squeak pretty bad. Any idea why? I replaced the auger pipe about 3 years ago and inspected the auger for sharp edges. I doubt it has anything to do with that.

Lastly, I noticed black powder everywhere around the boiler when I started cleaning it. There's even black powder on the ceiling above the boiler. Could that be from the bad batch of coal that got recently?

Thanks everyone! Looking forward to your responses.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Mon. Dec. 30, 2019 11:46 am

Welcome to the forum
mjm4jc wrote:
Mon. Dec. 30, 2019 10:47 am
There's a slot/opening that goes across the back of the boiler right underneath the pipe.
That is the rear heat exchange area. It is a metal wall that allows exhaust gas to flow over the rear boiler wall. One of the most efficient coal boiler designs that there is.

This video shows most of the Van Wert exhaust flow.

mjm4jc wrote:
when I let the hopper get too low with coal, the auger starts to squeak pretty bad.
The augers and idler ride on bronze bushings. One of these could be worn out or you might just be getting the occasional piece of coal stuck between the auger flighting and the pipe.
mjm4jc wrote:
I noticed black powder everywhere around the boiler when I started cleaning it.
Make sure you seal all of the auger and transfer head joints with silicon. This will keep coal dust from leaking out.
Also, you mentioned a "Hopper". I guess this means your bin auger does not go directly into the bin??? If this is the case, it means that you are moving hundreds of pounds of coal from the bin into this hopper. Every time you move coal it creates a lot of dust.

-Don

mjm4jc

Post by mjm4jc » Mon. Dec. 30, 2019 1:06 pm

Wow! Thank you Don! When you wrote that I should seal the auger and transfer head joints with silicon, it reminded me that a while back I removed a felt gasket from behind one the gears. Is that where you are referring to? I don't know what you mean by "head joints." Please forgive my ignorance to the terminology.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Mon. Dec. 30, 2019 2:48 pm

The "transfer head" is the part that the augers and pipes meet. If you don't seal the joints where the pipes connect, dust will leak out.
IMG_1466.JPG
.JPG | 310.3KB | IMG_1466.JPG
I'm not sure about the felt gasket but they could go between the big gears and the the transfer head bearings to keep dust in.

-Don

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Mon. Dec. 30, 2019 6:51 pm

There's a little flexible tube that goes from the blower to the pot area. It helps prevent backfeed of coal gas. That needs to be sealed as well.

mjm4jc

Post by mjm4jc » Mon. Dec. 30, 2019 11:35 pm

ok......thanks again!!

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”