Chimney question

dbsuz05
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Burnham 23"

Post by dbsuz05 » Fri. Dec. 27, 2019 1:56 pm

What type of chimney do you guys think is best/cost effective. Block with clay liner. Or triple wall stainless?

franpipeman
Stoker Coal Boiler: efm 520 stoker fitzgibbons pressure vessel
Hand Fed Coal Stove: harman, russo
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: alpine propane condensing boiler radiant floor

Post by franpipeman » Fri. Dec. 27, 2019 3:34 pm

Lots of disputes on this issues block with clay liner is good ,long lasting buy labor intensive . but i would recommend insulating it ,some dont why to keep your draft going on moderate weather days like a foggy night at 49 degrees. Stainess steel should be insulated also and be sure you buy a liner with the right grade of stainless as coal fumes and water vapor make a acidic liquid I have had a stainless steel insulated chimney and I have had no problems as this point but i order the 316 ti or 316L it offers resistance to the fumes. Many times your stainless fittings like the top hat and others will not be 316l and may corrode early Warranties for the stainless will most likely require verified professional cleaning yearly so check that out. Mine is not triple wall but a 8 inch flex stainless insulated inside at 12 inch school 40 pipe thus I am unfamiliar with the triple wall stainless weather or not that is coal rated.
"What is the difference between 316L and 316Ti? ... The simple truth is 316L and 316Ti are both excellent products. 316L has virtually the same amount of Titanium for high temperature stability as 316Ti but it also includes Molybdenum. This is what gives 316L greater corrosion resistance against low temperatures."
Last edited by franpipeman on Fri. Dec. 27, 2019 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Fri. Dec. 27, 2019 5:30 pm

Block with a clay liner is always the best choice.

Triple wall is for wood stoves, not coal. It uses an air gap to lower the temperature to combustibles. This generally is bad for coal because of the low amount of heat that will get into the chimney. The chimney will then become to cool to maintain a draft.

If you are going with stainless, it has to be insulated so you can maintain a draft.

-Don

dbsuz05
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Burnham 23"

Post by dbsuz05 » Sun. Dec. 29, 2019 12:48 pm

StokerDon wrote:
Fri. Dec. 27, 2019 5:30 pm
Block with a clay liner is always the best choice.
You got all the answers don. I kinda figured Masonary was gonna be the best way to go. And it sure looks a lot sturdier than 25 feet of stainless steel going up the side of my red bricked garage.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Sun. Dec. 29, 2019 12:51 pm

And with just burning coal should last a VERY long time.

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Sun. Dec. 29, 2019 1:01 pm

Block w/ clay liner wins with coal hands down every time. Stainless is alright for a temporary flue but sulphur will eventually rot it.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”