Yellow Flame model A

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Fri. Dec. 20, 2019 8:26 pm

Been planning for a coal stoker boiler for the past year or so.
the house ate up the funds for the efm dual fuel boiler that i really wanted.

i'm always looking at the ads, i came across a yellow flame boiler for sale a few days ago.
it was listed best offer. i figure it was worth something in scrap and some for the guys time (i don't have to lift it out of a basement or load it myself, he has a front end loader) i offered him 200 dollars.

i searched threads here and i also remembered that Don restored one.
i saw that parts are available yet too.

picking it up december 28th.

i want a warm shop floor!! i can't afford a lift yet and that floor is cold! also propane heaters suck!

Attachments

yellow flame boiler.jpg
.JPG | 76.3KB | yellow flame boiler.jpg

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Dec. 20, 2019 9:00 pm

Congrats!!!
Any boiler can become dual-fuel, if you get creative.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Fri. Dec. 20, 2019 11:30 pm

Hopper goes with this...
Or Need to make one...

lincolnmania
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond

Post by lincolnmania » Fri. Dec. 20, 2019 11:34 pm

yes it comes with a hopper.

lincolnmania

Post by lincolnmania » Sat. Dec. 21, 2019 1:43 am

found a picture of the cover of a brochure. hmm an oil gun.....wonder where they put that?

Attachments

yellow flame brochure cover..jpg
.JPG | 15.3KB | yellow flame brochure cover..jpg

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Dec. 21, 2019 9:32 am

Here ya go!
YellowFlame.pdf
.PDF | 268.4KB | YellowFlame.pdf
YellowFlameInstall.pdf
.PDF | 634.6KB | YellowFlameInstall.pdf
TSox posted these 4 years ago. It was the first time I had ever seen a Yellow Flame manual.

Did you find out how many grates it has yet? Like a Keystoker the number of grates determines how much coal it can burn and therefore the BTU output.

One of the best features of a Yellow Flame boiler is the big screw in DHW coil. The boiler is already very heavy duty and there is now way it will ever rust through at the DHW coil! :D

-Don

lincolnmania

Post by lincolnmania » Sat. Dec. 21, 2019 9:55 am

supposedly it's the A model with 3 grates. i'm guessing it's 110,000 btu.

is the coil available new?

i liked the fact that the stoker could be converted if the yellow flame parts became unobtanium.

i really like the picture of the yellow flame converted to a efm stoker. that was beautiful!

i was looking to buy a different yellow flame last year, same model.
seller did not want to budge on price, it needed work and was torn apart and they wanted 1200.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Dec. 21, 2019 10:03 am

The Yellow Flame with the EFM stoker in it was a bigger boiler than the 3 grate, probably 4 or 5 grates. I'm sure it could be done but it would require a good bit of fabrication to put an S-15 or S-20 stoker into a 3 grate boiler. A Van Wert would practically bolt right in by drilling and tapping a few holes! ;)

Besides, people want real money for EFM stokers. You can get a Van Wert for next to nothing and it will hold a fire longer.

-Don

lincolnmania

Post by lincolnmania » Sat. Dec. 21, 2019 5:11 pm

ah a see there are two A models.
thank you for posting the manuals!
i sent a message, asked how many grates it has, also asked for more pictures.

94,000 btu.....hmm.....i need more than that......is that very underrated for the boiler? lotta thermal mass there!

garage needs 30,000 btu (plus whatever underground losses) house needs 80,000 btu until i get more attic insulation in. i added 10 sheets of 2" r10 foam, so little over 1/3 the attic is about a r26 and the rest is a r16 at best.....a bunch of the vermiculite fell out of the house when the siding came off...there were missing pieces of attic rim joist.....they were just never installed lol. it's a real shitshow! bats damaged the r19 insulation in the ceiling in my bedroom. the garage is r49....it's gonna take me a long time to remodel the inside. i have to pay off the exterior work first. going to take us 3 years.

one zone will be the floor heat to the shop.
one zone will be baseboard to my room upstairs. it will just supplement the heat coming from downstairs. i don't want to rip out the duct work, might want to install new central a/c in the future. i could put a damper in downstairs if i can get to the duct.
one zone will go to a water to air heat exchanger in the furnace plenum.....it would be really tough to install baseboard in a few rooms too much stuff in the way.
anyone ever figure out the R value of boxes stacked in the attic?
and i have room for 6 zones on the zone controller.

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Dec. 21, 2019 5:29 pm

All of these old school stoker boilers that I have seen seem to be underrated. I remember Reverend Larry had an old style 3 grate Yellow Flame that heated a ten room house in a very windy area up in Treverton. He said it heated the place just fine. It did run most of the time in the really cold and windy weather and used a lot of coal, but it kept up.

If yours is the newer style with the extra heat exchange plates above the fire, I don't think it will have a problem heating your load. Even if it's the old style it will probably push through but it will use more coal.

-Don

lincolnmania

Post by lincolnmania » Sat. Dec. 21, 2019 5:47 pm

it's 3 grates.

house is sealed a little better now. new windows and there is 3/8" foam that is r1.6 under the siding. it is taped with tyvek tape also, there was a lot of gaps in the old sheathing on the old part of the house and on the addition where water had gotten behind the siding the sheathing turned to paper.
this old place is as tight as it has ever been but i have a way to go. i need to insulate the crawl space too, dad never did that. i am going to condition the crawl space, the vented idea is not working. going to be sealing the block walls and installing a sump pump and 2" foam on the block walls and then heavy plastic over the dirt floor and in the future more foam insulation over the dirt floor.

right now the reading allegheny is burning two buckets of coal a day. i measured a bucket this morning, 41.3 pounds on the bathroom scale.

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Dec. 21, 2019 5:49 pm

I just looked at your picture again. Here is what I noticed.

1) It has a supply and 2 other tappings on top. The old style boiler only has the supply and one 1/2" tapping on top.

2) The front has 2 aquastat wells. The old style boilers only have one.

3) It's a bit of a stretch to see this, but it looks like the stoker may be the newest style with the 2 bolt, oil burner type motor.

All this means that there is a good chance that this is a newer style Yellow Flame with the extra heat exchange plates above the fire.

Good Luck! -Don

lincolnmania

Post by lincolnmania » Sat. Dec. 21, 2019 6:05 pm

excellent!
seller can't get me more pictures right now, he's out of town till next weekend.

lincolnmania

Post by lincolnmania » Sat. Dec. 21, 2019 7:04 pm

there are two three grate yellow flame stokers according to the chart.
94,500 and 126,000 btu's
on the parts list sheet it reads model A 3 grates, model AA 4 grates model B 6 grates, model C 8 grates.

lincolnmania

Post by lincolnmania » Sat. Dec. 21, 2019 7:07 pm

1350 lbs for the 126,000 btu, 1150 lbs for the 95,500 btu
holy crap!
how thick is the steel?

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”