Hydronic piping

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Jan. 13, 2020 9:55 am

Any boiler manufacture that produces any boiler that 'springs-a-leak' wouldn't be in business for very long...

dbsuz05
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Burnham 23"

Post by dbsuz05 » Mon. Jan. 13, 2020 12:10 pm

StokerDon wrote:
Sun. Jan. 12, 2020 11:17 am
Page 14 of the install manual has the chimney specs. The 130M requires a 6" chimney, the 260M requires a 8" chimney.
AA130Manual.pdf

-Don
Great manual. Thanks!

dbsuz05

Post by dbsuz05 » Mon. Jan. 13, 2020 12:12 pm

cabinover wrote:
Sun. Jan. 12, 2020 1:43 pm
I think you'll end up just keeping the hand fed warm as an afterthought for the AA130 on it's return from the house. Willing to bet you don't fire it again other than for old time's sake. They are heat animals that just keep going like the energizer bunny.
Yes i may not need boiler. But if a motor fails or belt snaps I would like to have the option of firing a handfed. In any case it will be a nice radiator!

dbsuz05

Post by dbsuz05 » Mon. Jan. 13, 2020 12:13 pm

McGiever wrote:
Mon. Jan. 13, 2020 9:55 am
Any boiler manufacture that produces any boiler that 'springs-a-leak' wouldn't be in business for very long...
Yes. I would hope so! I am a Murphy’s law guy!

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Mon. Jan. 13, 2020 5:15 pm

I tell my wife she worries too much also. :lol: You'll see what I mean given time. In I don't know how many years I've replaced my fan belt once, because I wanted to as I didn't know how old the other one was. I've replaced my fan plate gasket once due to my not knowing not to move the boiler with the fan attached. That little episode also cost me a fan and a fan shaft. BTW, don't move the boiler with the fan attached...now you know.

Other than that in probably 8 years or so (I'd have to see when I joined here) I've replaced my stove pipe yearly most years and my barometric damper a couple times when it'd take flight from a hot load of new coal or warm temps.

The old girl just does her job sans complaints of any kind. Ask Scottscoaled, he still gets mushy when he hears it running and wishes he hadn't sold it...at least until he got his 260s anyway.

dbsuz05

Post by dbsuz05 » Mon. Jan. 13, 2020 9:01 pm

cabinover wrote:
Mon. Jan. 13, 2020 5:15 pm
I tell my wife she worries too much also. :lol: You'll see what I mean given time. In I don't know how many years I've replaced my fan belt once, because I wanted to as I didn't know how old the other one was. I've replaced my fan plate gasket once due to my not knowing not to move the boiler with the fan attached. That little episode also cost me a fan and a fan shaft. BTW, don't move the boiler with the fan attached...now you know.

Other than that in probably 8 years or so (I'd have to see when I joined here) I've replaced my stove pipe yearly most years and my barometric damper a couple times when it'd take flight from a hot load of new coal or warm temps.

The old girl just does her job sans complaints of any kind. Ask Scottscoaled, he still gets mushy when he hears it running and wishes he hadn't sold it...at least until he got his 260s anyway.
Haha! Yes thinking about the next problem is my nature!

I luckily bought this boiler off a slightly older fellow. I’m 36. So I’m being “conservative” on his age! Nonetheless he was super knowledgeable and things were handled with care. I tried to learn as much as I could in the few hours it took to remove it from his place. Brought it home and have been designing my coal bin and piping by things I’ve learned from this forum and some books.
Planning on some diesel truck exhaust for my flue pipe to wall.. should last a few years.
Can’t wait for some mushy feelings when I finally get my chimney up and have more than one beer while watching it work heat magic!

cabinover

Post by cabinover » Mon. Jan. 13, 2020 9:07 pm

The flue pipe would last for me if I wasn't so lazy and washed it/ dried it at the end of every season. Just get 50K things on my mind like spring and summer and forget all about it until the fall. Then I see the damage I let happen. It's around $25 to do the whole thing so not that big of a deal compared to what LP used to cost me.

dbsuz05

Post by dbsuz05 » Mon. Jan. 13, 2020 9:18 pm

cabinover wrote:
Mon. Jan. 13, 2020 9:07 pm
The flue pipe would last for me if I wasn't so lazy and washed it/ dried it at the end of every season. Just get 50K things on my mind like spring and summer and forget all about it until the fall. Then I see the damage I let happen. It's around $25 to do the whole thing so not that big of a deal compared to what LP used to cost me.
Yep! The 25 dollar pipe is nothing compared to oil/gas fees! My handfed pipe lasts 2 years an not a minute more!

cabinover

Post by cabinover » Mon. Jan. 13, 2020 9:21 pm

Got that right.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”