Did I get some poorly processed coal?

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sun. Dec. 08, 2019 11:47 am

StokerDon wrote:
Sun. Dec. 08, 2019 8:57 am
3) Transfer head coal chip slot. If you have a lot of fines in your coal like I do, This slot will constantly drop coal chips and dust out all over the base. I've seen pictures of Axeman's with cookie sheets and other things under the transfer head to keep this from making a mess.
The cure for this is install a new packing in the transfer head. I just did mine as it was dropping full size pea coal out of it. The packing is about $14 and nothing gets through. On mine, the ring had 2 of the 3 screws missing and most of the packing was gone. Simple fix.

Egghead
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130
Other Heating: Outdoor wood furnace oil boiler

Post by Egghead » Sun. Dec. 08, 2019 11:55 am

coaledsweat wrote:
Sun. Dec. 08, 2019 11:47 am
The cure for this is install a new packing in the transfer head. I just did mine as it was dropping full size pea coal out of it. The packing is about $14 and nothing gets through. On mine, the ring had 2 of the 3 screws missing and most of the packing was gone. Simple fix.
Thanks. I’ll order a new one. I can deal with it for now.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Dec. 08, 2019 11:56 am

Yes, it was designed not to have a catch cup or cookie sheet.
The 'real fancy' added second motor and eliminating the solenoid for auger/ashing save needless spinning of auger always along with the fan...only turns as needed by anthrastat cycle, which is many less hours of wear and tear.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sun. Dec. 08, 2019 12:11 pm

The new one is going to be very snug. I gave it a little oil because it had an ungodly groan when the auger started. It was little disturbing. :D just take the cover off, remove the 3 screws to get the packing ring cover off and pull the packing out. The new one will give you a little fight because it's tight. Use the metal cover to push it down far enough to catch the screws and let them pull it down, you don't want to bend it as it is brittle and may develop a fracture. Getting the screw holes aligned is the hard part. A long screw with the head cut off will line everything up nicely.

Egghead
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130
Other Heating: Outdoor wood furnace oil boiler

Post by Egghead » Mon. Dec. 09, 2019 8:55 pm

coaledsweat wrote:
Sun. Dec. 08, 2019 12:11 pm
The new one is going to be very snug. I gave it a little oil because it had an ungodly groan when the auger started. It was little disturbing. :D just take the cover off, remove the 3 screws to get the packing ring cover off and pull the packing out. The new one will give you a little fight because it's tight. Use the metal cover to push it down far enough to catch the screws and let them pull it down, you don't want to bend it as it is brittle and may develop a fracture. Getting the screw holes aligned is the hard part. A long screw with the head cut off will line everything up nicely.
I’ll keep that in mind. I think I’m burning more coal than I originally thought. It’s hard to tell with the coal bin I built. Either way I’ll be replacing that as soon as it’s convenient.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Dec. 09, 2019 8:58 pm

Big old drafty houses need a lot of btus. Now that you have the heating costs under control, start tightening up the house.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Mon. Dec. 09, 2019 9:08 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Mon. Dec. 09, 2019 8:58 pm
Big old drafty houses need a lot of btus. Now that you have the heating costs under control, start tightening up the house.
That's a big +1 right there. Cold air infiltration is the biggest heat sucker above everything else..

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”