EFM 700 stoker boiler pressure issues

briankk
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 700

Post by briankk » Fri. Nov. 01, 2019 10:12 pm

I'm currently running my boiler with the water shut off because the auto fill seems to cause it to blow up to 30 lbs if I leave it on. We do have high water pressure, not sure if that is the cause. Anyway, at a temp of 180 the pressure sits at at 10 lbs while the furnace is "idling" (no coal or air push). It seems to be working fine. I did have a small leak last yr but upon the advice of others here put in the "non foaming silicon" and it seems to have worked.

Am I being careless/foolish? The radiators don't leak, from what I can tell ... though these are the old cast iron radiators (approx 20). I'm also assuming, since the stop leak is still in the system, that any leaks that did manifest would seal when the silicon hits the air.

Sure could use your help fellas.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Nov. 01, 2019 11:26 pm

I pin hole leak in the hot water coil can bleed house pressure in to the vessel at a very low rate and "flood" the boiler even with the make up water turned off...just takes a while, but Slow and Steady...

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Sat. Nov. 02, 2019 2:00 am

Auto-fill can also fail...
If it does not over pressure with the auto-fill valved off...
The DHW coil is ok...

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Sat. Nov. 02, 2019 3:35 am

X2 with the auto fill valve.

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Sat. Nov. 02, 2019 6:12 am

If you are running a domestic coil, can you isolate it off to see what happens? I’m guessing if it was valved off you likely checked that by now.

Coils go bad but auto-fills *censored* the bed often too. Right now my brother has to drain water off daily to get the pressure back down due to the auto-fill not working properly. Obviously if we knew this before he fired up it would be a non-issue by now.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sat. Nov. 02, 2019 6:50 am

Just installed my third Watts regulating valve in 27 years here. If you are on well water, it will eat them regularly. The one I took out had a big ball of who knows what right before the screen. Looked like a black .60 caliber musket ball.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Nov. 02, 2019 8:26 am

briankk wrote:
Fri. Nov. 01, 2019 10:12 pm
I'm currently running my boiler with the water shut off because the auto fill seems to cause it to blow up to 30 lbs if I leave it on.
Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you found the problem. If you run into a problem where your boiler pressure creeps up, the first thing to try is shut off the fill valve. If the creeping stops, replace the auto fill valve.

-Don

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Sat. Nov. 02, 2019 10:24 am

briankk wrote:
Fri. Nov. 01, 2019 10:12 pm
I'm currently running my boiler with the water shut off because the auto fill seems to cause it to blow up to 30 lbs if I leave it on. We do have high water pressure, not sure if that is the cause. Anyway, at a temp of 180 the pressure sits at at 10 lbs while the furnace is "idling" (no coal or air push). It seems to be working fine. I did have a small leak last yr but upon the advice of others here put in the "non foaming silicon" and it seems to have worked.

Am I being careless/foolish? The radiators don't leak, from what I can tell ... though these are the old cast iron radiators (approx 20). I'm also assuming, since the stop leak is still in the system, that any leaks that did manifest would seal when the silicon hits the air.

Sure could use your help fellas.
==========================================================================================

My "NEW" keystoker domestic hot water coil went to crap after three years of use and I only found out it was the coil by the process of elimination; (1)ball valves, (2) back flow preventer (3) coil. The coil was the culprit after eliminating the ball valves and back flow preventer as the Steel Compression Tank flooded each time and after closing off the feed water for the coil and draining the steel compression tank down the third time the coil was found to be the PIA(*&^)(*&^%^&*().

I do not have the autofill as it is not needed when using the steel compression tank.

If you have a direct water contact/immersion low water cut off with the conductive method of water sensing you can turn off the autofill.

My B+G RB-122-E Low Water Cut Off is the first electric control for the boiler. By having the LWCO installed as the first electronic control that reaches the boiler the LWCO will shut the boiler down completely if it senses a water loss.

I learned the hard way that digital controls are not the answer for water level sensing and replaced everything with Honeywell and B+G mechanical boiler controls.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Sun. Nov. 03, 2019 5:25 am

Sounds like you must have some pretty low pH in your domestic water?

briankk
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 700

Post by briankk » Sun. Nov. 03, 2019 9:07 am

StokerDon wrote:
Sat. Nov. 02, 2019 8:26 am
Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you found the problem. If you run into a problem where your boiler pressure creeps up, the first thing to try is shut off the fill valve. If the creeping stops, replace the auto fill valve.

-Don
I think you're right. I wanna use it without the autofill if I can. It seems those valve/gates are just not reliable. Thank ya kindly :-)

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Sun. Nov. 03, 2019 9:37 am

The auto fill has a purpose...
Remove and replace if it has failed...

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Nov. 03, 2019 9:52 am

If you have a lot water cutoff installed and the system is leak free there should no issue valving off the makeup water.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sun. Nov. 03, 2019 10:25 am

It's actually a PRV, not an auto fill. You really should have it.

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Sun. Nov. 03, 2019 1:49 pm

A picture or two would help us to help us help you to be sure you do not run into anymore problems.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”