Remote boiler circultator pumps?

mjeg
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520

Post by mjeg » Thu. Oct. 24, 2019 6:40 pm

Just a question on what those of you with remote boilers do for your circultator pumps? I have a EFM520 in a pole barn and its got a B&G pump running 24/7 circulating water to my house. The dealer installed it that way but it seems to me it would be more efficient to not run all the time. Would a timer on the pump be better or another solution? Just wondering what others have done with their pumps? Thanks

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Oct. 24, 2019 7:48 pm

Some guys run the circulator 24/7, others put it on a relay and run it only when there is a call for heat in the house. My preference would be the run the circulator only when needed - the amount of heat lost in underground piping can add up to a lot of coal over the season.

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Sat. Oct. 26, 2019 1:18 pm

I circulate 24/7 due to using a water to water heat exchanger for my DHW.

franpipeman
Stoker Coal Boiler: efm 520 stoker fitzgibbons pressure vessel
Hand Fed Coal Stove: harman, russo
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: alpine propane condensing boiler radiant floor

Post by franpipeman » Sun. Oct. 27, 2019 8:45 am

One needs to know how your house system is controlled , a single thermostat for boiler or zone valves with t stats for specific areas. Is your piping insulated?

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sun. Oct. 27, 2019 10:53 am

My coal boiler is about 75 feet from my house. I use a Taco 007 and it only runs when there is a call for heat. I have a boiler mate tank that makes domestic hot water. That one pump drives 5 zone valves plus the boiler mate tank.

mjeg

Post by mjeg » Mon. Oct. 28, 2019 6:52 am

franpipeman wrote:
Sun. Oct. 27, 2019 8:45 am
One needs to know how your house system is controlled , a single thermostat for boiler or zone valves with t stats for specific areas. Is your piping insulated?
y

My house is controlled by separate thermostats and zone valves with a one circulatory pump off of the existing oil boiler.
I have heard it both ways that its better to run the pump out at the coal boiler 24/7 to keep the loop warm between the garage and the house but I have also heard some say "no just run it when the house needs heat" I am dealing with a longer distance and just want to do whatever will make the most efficient use of the coal.

Also, For anyone who does run the pump only as needed by house, what is the best way to get the house pump and the pump out in the garage to work simultaneously? Not sure how to do that. thanks

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Oct. 28, 2019 7:26 am

"better" is subjective. It is certainly easier for the installer to just hook up the circulator to run all the time. If you are not using any heat exchangers in the house, running the circulator all the time is not necessary.

Can you run a thermostat wire from the basement to the EFM?

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Oct. 28, 2019 8:24 am

How far is the run from the boiler to the house?

franpipeman
Stoker Coal Boiler: efm 520 stoker fitzgibbons pressure vessel
Hand Fed Coal Stove: harman, russo
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: alpine propane condensing boiler radiant floor

Post by franpipeman » Mon. Oct. 28, 2019 9:37 am

i have a remote boiler 60 ft from house with well insulated underground piping , and while my system works great, if the main pump is not run for some time, the boiler main pump and main piping system will exhaust The boiler hot water supply temperature ,the temperature will decrease where the aquatstat correctly shuts down the pump (160?)until the boiler water temp recover (180), and if your not aware of this you will state I need heat but the pump is not running whats going on .?I have my outfire control at 145 , which when the water reaches that assumes the fire is out and stops the stoker from flooding the boiler with unburnt coal, Operating 24 /7 prevents that but of course uses more fuel a lot more . . My system the main pump only runs on a call for heat ( which it has three sources/ pumps & stats to do so ). The exhausting of boiler water temp, Or maybe some people call that shocking will eventually correct itself when the real cold weather comes and multiple calls for heat occur multiple times during the day keeping the system preheated and the system lag does not occur . I have hard wired zone stats and relays . B&G and Taco by zone relays wiring boxes and relays to enable the multiple zones to close the boiler run contacts.
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Switching-Relays-4430 ... ZsQAvD_BwE

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Mon. Oct. 28, 2019 7:19 pm

If you install the pump in the house instead of by the boiler,then it is easy to control the pump off the house controls. An added bonus is you can run the boiler outside with a single aquastat if you want. Keeping the boiler at temp, ready to run. Simple works best

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Mon. Oct. 28, 2019 7:21 pm

If you install the pump in the house instead of by the boiler,then it is easy to control the pump off the house controls. An added bonus is you can run the boiler outside with a single aquastat if you want. Keeping the boiler at temp, ready to run. Simple works best

mjeg

Post by mjeg » Mon. Oct. 28, 2019 8:46 pm

The run from house to garage is about 150' its a long run but used the very best insulated piping I could buy. I see the suggestion on moving the pump from garage to the house on the return line so the two pumps could simply be wired together to work at the same time. Its funny my father actually suggested that today and I think that may be what we try. thanks

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”