Chimney drafting

Krl82
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker koker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Nut

Post by Krl82 » Thu. Oct. 24, 2019 2:28 pm

Hello. Sorry for all the questions coming from me. I have a question regarding chimneys. My current situation is i have one large chimney with three flues. Small flu used to cent oil furnace. Capped off. Middle flue house a 6” ss liner to koker 160 in basement. 3rd flue has ss liner attached to hitzer 503. My question is while running hitzer, will it effect the draft for the koker. There is at least a 8-12” of space between flues. And at top of chimney will the heat of the exhaust play a part in the other not drafting. Sorry if this is confusing. There is also about 8” difference in liner hight

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Oct. 24, 2019 2:32 pm

As long as the flues are intact and there is enough make-up air available to each appliance, the operation of one unit should not impact the others.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Oct. 24, 2019 9:31 pm

Only issue that has happened is that any un-capped, unused and cold flue can draw down some exhaust gases from it's top from an adjacent active flue for some make up air or any other space venting, such as bathroom and kitchen vent fans exhausting from the space. Since you say yours is capped this is not an issue for you when the other 2 are burning together.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”