Changing from buck to rice

klim1972
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM df 520
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by klim1972 » Tue. Oct. 22, 2019 5:53 am

So I’ve had my leisure line 110 boiler for 8 years now with no problems and was thinking of trying rice instead of buck since I heard it’s easier to control and runs better in stokers , is there any ups or downs before I bite the bullet on this

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Oct. 22, 2019 6:04 am

I take you've heard the old theory----------------- "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" ?????????????

ben
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350 with an S-20 pot (1966)
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by ben » Tue. Oct. 22, 2019 7:04 am

Try a few bags of rice before you order a delivery.

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Tue. Oct. 22, 2019 7:38 am

x2 and x2.

Mike

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Tue. Oct. 22, 2019 7:39 pm

I would pass on that idea UNLESS; you mix 1/3 buck and 2/3 rice together in 3 gallon buckets and try burning 2 dozen bags of the mixture through the stoker on a weekend when you are home all weekend to see how well it does as it will need to run more often to maintain a hold fire and you may end up with more outfires UNLESS you add more pins for increased hold fire time to the hold fire timer.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Oct. 22, 2019 8:00 pm

The stoker will work fine with either size. It comes down to personal preference, and your specific operating conditions. Some guys like rice because it tends to hold a fire better in low-load conditions, others like buck because it "breathes better" and has when running the stoker really hard. If you have not experience any issues with buck I don't think you will see any benefit from rice, but it is easy to get a few bags and experiment.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond

Post by lincolnmania » Wed. Oct. 23, 2019 8:23 am

i have burned buck already in my stokers and efm and i prefer rice.
the buck used to grind a lot in the efm auger and larger pieces of buck (closer to pea) would jam the auger and break the shear pin.
i also noticed more unburnt coal in the alaska stoker.

either will work fine in a leisure line tho. just a matter of preference. get a few bags and try it before you order a few tons.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Oct. 23, 2019 12:09 pm

klim1972 wrote:
Tue. Oct. 22, 2019 5:53 am
So I’ve had my leisure line 110 boiler for 8 years now with no problems and was thinking of trying rice instead of buck since I heard it’s easier to control and runs better in stokers , is there any ups or downs before I bite the bullet on this
Buck is larger and less "controllable" because there is more air, you can actually burn it in hand fired stove if the grates are small enough. Unless you were having problems with the fire getting pushed off the end of the stoker bed I wouldn't switch. Another reason you might want to switch is because it may put out the heat faster so you could possibly increase the BTU output slightly if it wasn't keeping up with demand but that would require some tinkering.

One issue with the buck is a safety problem, the fire is more likely to creep into the hopper. Does LL even recommend buck?

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Oct. 23, 2019 12:18 pm

lincolnmania wrote:
Wed. Oct. 23, 2019 8:23 am
i have burned buck already in my stokers and efm and i prefer rice.
the buck used to grind a lot in the efm auger and larger pieces of buck (closer to pea) would jam the auger and break the shear pin.
That's a different animal than the bed stokers, the Van Wert is similar in design but likes buck. I believe the augers are larger. I had customers that used barley in EFM's which is like a coarse sand. You should also be able to use buck in AHS units, the AA's because of the auger design like large size coal otherwise they would burn it without any issue.

For bed stoker I wouldn't use anything but rice for the safety issue alone.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond

Post by lincolnmania » Wed. Oct. 23, 2019 3:23 pm

pretty sure you can safely burn buck in a leisure line, matt is the one that got me to switch to buck many yrs ago. this was before he bought leisure line.

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Thu. Oct. 24, 2019 12:12 am

lincolnmania wrote:
Wed. Oct. 23, 2019 3:23 pm
pretty sure you can safely burn buck in a leisure line, matt is the one that got me to switch to buck many yrs ago. this was before he bought leisure line.
I have the LL 220 boiler which I believe we have the same stoker, I just have 2. It is rated for rice or buck which I burned buck all last season. I have switched back and forth between rice and buck but this year I went back to rice just for handling purposes. I have a vacuum transfer system and it is faster to for my system to transfer rice. Took me around 8 minutes to fill a 30 gallon drum with buck but only 4 minutes with rice. Both types burn well, I get a little more "caking" with rice but doesn't really bother me.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”