Axeman Anderson 260-M adventures!

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Mon. Sep. 16, 2019 1:18 am

And so it begins..... an new chapter of trying to heat my home! It all started with a recent PM from Nepacoal about a posting from StokerDon of a craigslist add of a AA 260-M for sale. I don't frequent the forum during the off season much but just happened to check in and there was the PM. I called on the add as soon as I could with fingers crossed that he still had it and as my luck would have it, he did! I am very excited to see how this will do with my heat load? SD wants lots of pics so I will do my best not to disappoint. The unit look like it was hooked up professionally, all copper with bypass loop. I was able to cut pipe at the wall to leave everything intact so it will be easier for me to get hooked up. I have a whole folder of invoice receipts dating from 1981-2008 so it is nice to see what was replaced. Thumbing through them it was very easy to notice GB162CA coil for solenoid. Seems like it was replaced every 2 years.....is this a part I should have an extra of? Boiler itself appears very clean, no rust, only some seepage from fittings in a couple spots. Boiler was full and had not been fired in over a year so this had me a little on edge but when we cracked the valve to drain it, looked like bottled water coming out, perfectly clear so I hope that is a good sign that the inside of the boiler is just as clean. One thing I didn't like was the amount of dust everywhere, hopefully that is just from lack of cleaning as I thought these units were pretty clean running? Also there was a drip pan under the gearbox so that will definitely have to get fixed. Can I still order parts from Axeman direct? I want to get everything cleaned up and may even paint it so I start fresh. Should I power wash the boiler itself or should I just wipe down, wire wheel, and wipe clean? I am going to power wash the auger, it is a dirty, oily mess. How far should I tear it apart? Should I remove the DHW coil and plate over it? Pull the fan out? From those that have done it, please let me know. I have a fabrication job I need to get done which will consume this week, then I will be ready to tear into this thing. I have a little time before the weather breaks. Oh and I should mention I did NOT get the chimney done once again so this will be going in the barn for the season. I know it's not ideal but it's the best I can do for now. I also don't know how loud this thing will be and if it is as dirty as where I picked it up, I definitely don't want it in the basement! Also, I just picked up 10 ton of rice last week before this add came up so that is another strike against me but StokerDon said I shouldn't have an issue as he has been burning it in his Axeman. So with his guidance I am confident I won't have to many problems. I also have the Leisure Line hooked up in the basement but as of right now do not plan in firing it. I do plan to circulate through it so it stays at temperature to prevent any corrosion and possibly act as a buffer tank? I think I will study SD's videos to try to get more familiar with this thing.....pics to follow! Any requests?
Last edited by swyman on Mon. Sep. 16, 2019 4:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

swyman

Post by swyman » Mon. Sep. 16, 2019 1:24 am

20190915_232742.jpg
.JPG | 306.2KB | 20190915_232742.jpg
20190915_094152.jpg
.JPG | 524.3KB | 20190915_094152.jpg

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Mon. Sep. 16, 2019 5:09 am

Solid unit, if you can push the water through the barn loop, you’ll heat whatever you need too.

My AHS 260 is a little dusty, it seems to have a “leak” somewhere around the stove exit pipe and when the fan first comes on it blows a little dust out, I can’t find it, but I don’t really care either lol it also could be from the lack of draft, in the boiler building the chimney is only 12’ tall, it will usually go positive for the first 5 minutes the boiler comes on, then the chimney heats up enough it finally starts to draft a little around .01.

As far as tear down it’s up to you, as far as I know you can get any part you need. If not you should be able to make it.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Mon. Sep. 16, 2019 5:11 am

Nice! Just don't try to power vent it. That is a total no-no for this boiler.

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Mon. Sep. 16, 2019 5:35 am

Congrats on the new boiler! And don't worry, if you hadn't replied to my PM by the end of the day, you were getting a phone call...

swyman

Post by swyman » Mon. Sep. 16, 2019 6:01 am

Don't worry Larry, no power vent! I was thinking about how to vent it though.....it should be roughly 20' tall. I have the option to go wherever I see fit. If i went straight up out of the boiler with no bends, I should never have to clean the pipe right? Wouldn't all the fly ash just fall right back down into the ash pan? Nepa, I am really excited to get started on this boiler. I started re-reading Don's 130M thread, so much useful information but I was starting to get overwhelmed. Should be a fun journey!

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Sep. 16, 2019 6:19 am

Nice looking 260. I would probably pull the fan and clean the swirl chamber, and change the oil in the fan box. If the tankless coil is not leaking, leave it alone - it is too close to the heating season to mess with the coil.

What are you using for a circulator on the pex loop between the barn and the house?

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Sep. 16, 2019 6:38 am

Once you get it fired, snug the water coil nuts up once a week for a few to avoid the "gremlins." Then once year.

swyman

Post by swyman » Mon. Sep. 16, 2019 7:05 am

Rob R. wrote:
Mon. Sep. 16, 2019 6:19 am
Nice looking 260. I would probably pull the fan and clean the swirl chamber, and change the oil in the fan box. If the tankless coil is not leaking, leave it alone - it is too close to the heating season to mess with the coil.

What are you using for a circulator on the pex loop between the barn and the house?
I'm going to use that high capacity Taco 2400-20 I believe is the number. Do I need to get a gasket for that fan or can I use high temp silicon?

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Mon. Sep. 16, 2019 7:08 am

swyman wrote:
Mon. Sep. 16, 2019 7:05 am
I'm going to use that high capacity Taco 2400-20 I believe is the number. Do I need to get a gasket for that fan or can I use high temp silicon?
The high temperature at that location is way beyond the capacity of even the best high temperature silicon to withstand heat.

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Mon. Sep. 16, 2019 5:22 pm

I just used wood stove door rope gasket for my fan, but I’m sure u can buy exactly what you need from Axeman.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Sep. 16, 2019 5:35 pm

It's a rather unique piece, best to get it from Axeman. Other stuff may work but probably not as good as the OEM piece.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Sep. 16, 2019 6:24 pm

swyman wrote:
Mon. Sep. 16, 2019 7:05 am
Do I need to get a gasket for that fan or can I use high temp silicon?
That AA-260 fan cover looks like a finned manhole cover and it has hell on earth just on the other side of it.
Don't be 'freestyling', do it the way it was designed...this is not you tractor here. ;)

For more relevant reading of a AA-260 rebuilt with more meat and not so much potatoes I'd recommend member "Townsend"'s thread:>>>>>>>>>>>>>> New (to Me) Axeman 260
IMG_4472.JPG
.JPG | 183.7KB | IMG_4472.JPG
IMG_4477.JPG
.JPG | 203.3KB | IMG_4477.JPG
Last edited by McGiever on Tue. Sep. 17, 2019 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Mon. Sep. 16, 2019 6:43 pm

YAY!!! I'm glad you got it!
:clap:
swyman wrote:
Mon. Sep. 16, 2019 1:18 am
Thumbing through them it was very easy to notice GB162CA coil for solenoid. Seems like it was replaced every 2 years.....is this a part I should have an extra of?
Humm, that's interesting. That is something that shouldn't go bad. We might have to figure out why.
swyman wrote:
One thing I didn't like was the amount of dust everywhere, hopefully that is just from lack of cleaning as I thought these units were pretty clean running?
Not really, If you seal the stovepipe joints up good that will keep the flyash from escaping.
swyman wrote:
Also there was a drip pan under the gearbox so that will definitely have to get fixed. Can I still order parts from Axeman direct?
There is a open chain and open bearings in this unit. You have to keep them oiled so, yea it will have some oil on the floor in front. Also, there are no seals on the fan bearing box so oil will vibrate out of there too.
Yes, Axeman Anderson still makes these units so you can get every single part form them.
swyman wrote:
How far should I tear it apart?
I would dump the ash buy pulling the grate out, scrape up in the fire chamber and clean the grate. Check the grate rollers, if they are not flat spotted, lube them up and put them back in.

You will also need to remove the fan to clean out the swirl chamber. Check to make sure the cone at the bottom of the cyclone separator is still good.

It's best to replace the fan plate gasket with an original Axeman one. On mine I used flat rope gasket and high temp silicone. It's possible that the reason your unit had flyash all over it is that the fan plate gasket is blown.
swyman wrote:
Mon. Sep. 16, 2019 6:01 am
If i went straight up out of the boiler with no bends, I should never have to clean the pipe right?
I wouldn't do that. If you do ever have to get in there it will be much more difficult than if it was offset with Tee's. Also, anything that falls into your chimney falls right into the boiler. That's the way my 1959 130M was hooked up and the cyclone separator was over half full of crap and debris.
swyman wrote:
ny requests?
MORE PICTURES! :lol:

-Don

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Mon. Sep. 16, 2019 9:01 pm

First person I thought of was you for that 260...
LOL...
Glad you got it...
Chimney next year...
You can always fire up the LL when it gets real cold...
The AA will be de-rated quite a bit eating rice instead of pea...

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”