Axeman Anderson 260-M adventures!

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Tue. Jan. 11, 2022 3:51 pm

swyman wrote:
Sat. Jan. 08, 2022 7:51 am
Don't know why anyone would even try to compete?
Oh I know! These machines are next level :)
swyman wrote:
Tue. Jan. 11, 2022 7:33 am
I mean I hear guys talk about having puff backs and I'm happy to say I have never experienced one but does that mean my fire could just be to high?
I think also the speed of the ashing has influence on puff back probability... since if its ashing too fast it could potentially bury the fire. This would be even more pronounced during low heat demand periods because its possible to bury the fire before it wakes up from a long nap. For this reason I added the exhaust PID set at 240 degrees to keep ashing disengaged until the fire at least wakes up.
swyman wrote:
Tue. Jan. 11, 2022 7:33 am
Hope everyone is staying warm and enjoying their coal burners as much as I am!
You know it partner!

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Wed. Jan. 12, 2022 8:20 am

Lightning wrote:
Tue. Jan. 11, 2022 3:51 pm

I think also the speed of the ashing has influence on puff back probability... since if its ashing too fast it could potentially bury the fire. This would be even more pronounced during low heat demand periods because its possible to bury the fire before it wakes up from a long nap. For this reason I added the exhaust PID set at 240 degrees to keep ashing disengaged until the fire at least wakes up.
I've watched a couple heat cycles last night and this thing basically never stopped ashing. My exhaust temps started around 200 and maxes out about 460-480. I have a PID on the exhaust also but I do not have it tied into the ashing PID. I really should do this as it's a really quick setup but has been working flawlessly. My ash looks good and only thing that I need to address is new ash sled wheels. They are locked up and wearing but should get me through the season. I am going to add a sealed bearing so I should have to mess with it for a while. I would like to put bearings on everything related to the ashing system. We'll see how ambitious I get in the off season. Would also like to add a ashing motor as StokerDon has, just makes sense to only operate the feed auger when it ashes to reduce wear and tear and fines.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Wed. Jan. 12, 2022 10:56 am

I also watched a couple heat cycles last night lol. Since we've had a stretch of cold weather lately my ashing sensor is finally getting up to set temperature of 110 degrees to disengage ashing while the fan is on. I don't see that happen very often. I have my ratchet set at 2 clicks but for a small part of the rotation it will only click once.

I love the idea of the sealed bearings for the ash sled. I have one wheel sticking also..

swyman

Post by swyman » Wed. Jan. 12, 2022 11:14 am

Lightning wrote:
Wed. Jan. 12, 2022 10:56 am
I have my ratchet set at 2 clicks but for a small part of the rotation it will only click once.

I love the idea of the sealed bearings for the ash sled. I have one wheel sticking also..
I want to do the drive shaft with bearings also. I am currently and have always been 2 clicks. I have never touched it, it's the way I bought it. What would happen if I moved it to 1 click? I know I could move and find out but I'd rather hear what it will do vs mess it up!

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Wed. Jan. 12, 2022 12:01 pm

My stack temp has never gone above 250, about 12” above outlet, and my ashing has never stopped during a fan cycle once initiated. Just some info for you guys.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Wed. Jan. 12, 2022 12:07 pm

swyman wrote:
Wed. Jan. 12, 2022 11:14 am
What would happen if I moved it to 1 click?
The ash layer will get thicker and the fire will get thinner. If it it gets too thin it'll be prone to outfires once heat demand wanes. I used to think this was the ticket to getting 100% of the coal turned to ash but I've changed my thoughts on that. I think its more about the health of the fire which goes hand in hand with heat demand.

swyman

Post by swyman » Wed. Jan. 12, 2022 1:06 pm

Lightning wrote:
Wed. Jan. 12, 2022 12:07 pm
The ash layer will get thicker and the fire will get thinner. If it it gets too thin it'll be prone to outfires once heat demand wanes. I used to think this was the ticket to getting 100% of the coal turned to ash but I've changed my thoughts on that. I think its more about the health of the fire which goes hand in hand with heat demand.
I guess I will leave it alone then. There is never an issue no matter the outdoor temp.

swyman

Post by swyman » Wed. Jan. 12, 2022 1:08 pm

hotblast1357 wrote:
Wed. Jan. 12, 2022 12:01 pm
My stack temp has never gone above 250, about 12” above outlet, and my ashing has never stopped during a fan cycle once initiated. Just some info for you guys.
Boy that is low. My probe is about the same position, about 18" above boiler right before my 90* elbow. I have witnessed my boiler stop ashing while it was running a few times.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Jan. 12, 2022 1:10 pm

hotblast1357 wrote:
Wed. Jan. 12, 2022 12:01 pm
My stack temp has never gone above 250, about 12” above outlet
Is 250 degrees the internal temperature of the stack? or do you have a magnetic thermometer on the pipe?

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Wed. Jan. 12, 2022 7:04 pm

That is internal.

swyman

Post by swyman » Thu. Jan. 27, 2022 7:03 am

Well I made a huge mistake. I loaded my bin with snowy coal. I thought it may cut down on the dust but because it is so cold it was worse with snowy dust. It ran fine the first day, now the bottom of my bin at the auger is soaked and bridging. Woke up 3 times last night to hand feed and poke down to the auger with a long rod. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to dry that out other than digging it up or just letting time do it's thing?

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Jan. 27, 2022 7:35 am

Put a fan on it and wait. Poke down through auger with rebar to break up the bridged coal.

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Thu. Jan. 27, 2022 9:05 am

A 110 volt small squirrel cage fan from Dayton bolted to a 10 foot length of capped or plugged perforated PVC pipe used for leach fields would work. The only thing is that it will take time to dig down and set the pipe on the floor.

swyman

Post by swyman » Thu. Jan. 27, 2022 1:42 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Thu. Jan. 27, 2022 7:35 am
Put a fan on it and wait. Poke down through auger with rebar to break up the bridged coal.
Yea I did the fan thing and I stuck my pool cleaning pole inside the auger but it's to large in diameter to move it around. I'll have to get a solid rod like you said. Man everything was going so smoothly! I should be good in a few days I hope.

swyman

Post by swyman » Thu. Jan. 27, 2022 1:44 pm

lzaharis wrote:
Thu. Jan. 27, 2022 9:05 am
A 110 volt small squirrel cage fan from Dayton bolted to a 10 foot length of capped or plugged perforated PVC pipe used for leach fields would work. The only thing is that it will take time to dig down and set the pipe on the floor.
I thought about coming up with something like that but I just put 3 ton in there and it's just hard to work into it. I'm gonna try a smaller solid rod inside the auger and see how that works. I can poke down from the top also and that works but only for a minute.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”