Axeman Anderson 260-M adventures!

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Mon. Mar. 22, 2021 8:01 am

Ran into an interesting situation this weekend that now has changed my mind on setting up a separate motor to run the auger. Went to check on boiler last night and no coal in tube and coal in boiler was very low. I have so many fines in the bin there is a near vertical wall at the tube and nothing was flowing in. Quick rake job took care of that and those first drops out of the auger into the fire were pure fines. In watching the ashing temp which normally cools as it runs was actually getting hotter due to the fire going lower and lower. So if the transfer tube was driven off of it's own motor, it would not come on. Of course looking at it that way, I guess it really doesn't matter because it's not transferring any coal anyway? Ahh, the joys at end of season. This boiler has made me so lazy that I don't even check on it daily.....guess I have to now!

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Mon. Mar. 22, 2021 6:43 pm

swyman wrote:
Mon. Mar. 22, 2021 8:01 am
I have so many fines in the bin there is a near vertical wall at the tube and nothing was flowing in.
Adding a separate auger motor isn't going to solve that problem. You need to have a sensor in the auger that calls your phone or sends you a text "Shane! I'm Starving For Coal! HELP!!!"
:lol:

-Don

swyman

Post by swyman » Thu. Apr. 01, 2021 7:17 am

Headed up North for the weekend tonight after work. Was gonna let the Axeman run but with nobody home and no need for heat I'm gonna shut it down then start it back up when I return. We'll see if this thing can hibernate 4 days? Oh, and in more exciting news my neighbor will be picking up that Axeman 260 from Ziggy tomorrow! He's gonna unload it at my shop till he's ready for install! That also means I will not be making that annual trip to coal country either since now I have someone to split the cost with! Excited for winter to come already!

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Thu. Apr. 01, 2021 9:14 am

swyman wrote:
Thu. Apr. 01, 2021 7:17 am
Excited for winter to come already!
Still winter here in coal country... 2" of snow this morning and 34° with 25 mph winds.

swyman

Post by swyman » Thu. Apr. 01, 2021 11:43 am

nepacoal wrote:
Thu. Apr. 01, 2021 9:14 am
Still winter here in coal country... 2" of snow this morning and 34° with 25 mph winds.
Started here also but beautiful weather coming this weekend!

LouSee
Stoker Coal Boiler: '57 EFM DF'd 520
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Independance
Coal Size/Type: Buck & Rice

Post by LouSee » Thu. Apr. 01, 2021 12:44 pm

nepacoal wrote:
Thu. Apr. 01, 2021 9:14 am
I woke up this early Spring morning and it was really bright out and I looked out the window...

April Fools !!! :no1:

Back in Northern MI, the joke was: We have two seasons... winter...

and July.

At least here the snow only runs from October to April.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Apr. 01, 2021 1:09 pm

LouSee wrote:
Thu. Apr. 01, 2021 12:44 pm
I woke up this early Spring morning and it was really bright out and I looked out the window...

April Fools !!! :no1:

Back in Northern MI, the joke was: We have two seasons... winter...

and July.

At least here the snow only runs from October to April.
Someone in Northern VT once told me they have 11 months of winter and 1 month of very poor sledding. :lol:
swyman wrote:
Thu. Apr. 01, 2021 7:17 am
Headed up North for the weekend tonight after work. Was gonna let the Axeman run but with nobody home and no need for heat I'm gonna shut it down then start it back up when I return. We'll see if this thing can hibernate 4 days?
Good luck.

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Sat. Apr. 03, 2021 1:03 am

McGiever wrote:
Wed. Mar. 03, 2021 11:17 pm
Probes come in longer lengths also.
Larry, Would a type J like the one we use in the burn off ovens work for him? The one in the pic is what I have in the afterburner chamber. Its rated for 1500F and has a 12" probe.

Paulie

Attachments

20210403_004932.jpg
.JPG | 388.4KB | 20210403_004932.jpg

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sat. Apr. 03, 2021 5:55 am

The length looks good but the temperature seems way out of range to me. Something in the 5-600° limit may be more appropriate.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Apr. 03, 2021 10:29 am

Well any probe needs to match with it's controller as I understand it.
Paul your picture appears to be a RTD (not a thermocouple) )which can work with a controller that does accept a RTD signal.

If one's controller matches to a "Type K" thermocouple I don't think a different "Type" as in a "Type J" will be accurate since each Type represents a different range of temps..
As I understand there exists different "Types" for different temperature ranges...mis-match temperature range with given controller will not give accurate temperature read-outs.

There may be controllers that can be internally set to more than one of the thermocouple "Type" input or perhaps even to a RTD input.

So, better know the matching probe type before before deciding on the controller and vice versa..

swyman

Post by swyman » Tue. Apr. 06, 2021 8:11 am

Well 4 day shutdown was to long for a startup. No problem, this is so much easier to light than the LL. Scooped a couple mini shovel scoops of coal out of the firebox and added a couple handfuls of lump charcoal, hit it with a hand torch and instant fire! Literally took 5 minutes. I also have another AA 260M sitting in my shop, thanks Ziggy! We'll get a paint job on it and looks like I need to do a patch job on the end of the transfer tube. Probably start that one about August.

ziggy87
Stoker Coal Boiler: axeman anderson 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by ziggy87 » Sat. Apr. 10, 2021 9:25 am

No problem! The auger will need some work on the end. But other then that it should be a good unit. If you have questions let me know.

swyman

Post by swyman » Thu. Oct. 28, 2021 7:01 am

Good morning, I'm getting this thing ready to fire up and in another thread we were talking about sealing up the pipe that's just above the pope's hat with the 2 bolts. Lee brought it to my attention that there is supposed to be a gasket material where that bolts in. I didn't know and last season I used high temp silicone. Wanting to do it right I went last night and bought the smallest (3/8") rope seal. I noticed they also had 3/8" ribbon material. I bought the rope but wondering if I should have bought the ribbon? Anyone know which is correct or doesn't matter?

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Thu. Oct. 28, 2021 12:23 pm

Silicone it..

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Oct. 28, 2021 3:22 pm

If I recall correct I just squashed a rope gasket in there.. High Heat Silicone would work there also but seems like it would make it more difficult to remove.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”