Burning woodchips together with anthracite.

PolarLight
Stoker Coal Boiler: JB
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Propane, firewood

Post by PolarLight » Tue. Jun. 04, 2019 2:16 pm

I have plenty of branches and tree tops on my property, after logging, in addition to that there is an old barn taken down by the previous land owner.
I am thinking about getting a good woodchiper and turn everything into chips. Then, I need to utilize or better burn it.
If I add chips to anthracite, will if burn ok? I know chips are burning quicker, guess proper adjustments to controller has to be done......
Also, I need an advise which woodchiper would you recommend to chop wood into coarse chunks, instead of shreading it into useless garbage. I am thinking about towable chipper, using my pickup.

PolarLight

Post by PolarLight » Tue. Jun. 04, 2019 2:22 pm

I know woodchip burners have some different designs, bigger auger, and chips being pre-dried before they burn. Just saw a boiler today, owner said he burns all kind of fuel. Coal, wood chips, pellets, anything lesser then 2.5". It has 4" huge auger, and controller has setting to switch between fuels.
Thinking to get one for my warehouse.

franpipeman
Stoker Coal Boiler: efm 520 stoker fitzgibbons pressure vessel
Hand Fed Coal Stove: harman, russo
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: alpine propane condensing boiler radiant floor

Post by franpipeman » Wed. Jun. 05, 2019 7:55 am

I would think it would cause a decreased consistency in the coal burning intensity and duration. Perhaps also causing outfires when one with just coal would not happen .I have no experience with it though .Experimentation

PolarLight

Post by PolarLight » Wed. Jun. 05, 2019 8:35 pm

I will try burning them together and separate.....then I will see

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Jun. 09, 2019 6:39 pm

I'm with Fran. Fuel inconsistency is something a coal stoker does not like. Anthracite and wood are as different as it gets, requiring very different feed rates and air settings.

-Don

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”