How can I use my boiler for the heat source?

Peondaly

Post by Peondaly » Wed. May. 29, 2019 9:47 am

Hi, guys. I need some bits of advice from you.

It's time to get the radiant heat in my garage floor up and running before the cold weather hits. There are 5 250’ loops of ½” PEX in the floor which is hooked up to Uponor manifolds. This has been holding air pressure for the 5 years since the floor was poured. The tubing in the floor and the manifolds is all I have done so far.

I would like to use my existing oil boiler for the heat source, which currently provides the hot water and single zone baseboard heat for the house. The boiler is oversized, so it shouldn’t have any issues with the extra load. I want to do this through an indirect hot water storage tank so I can run some antifreeze in the garage floor and keep it separate from the boiler water. I will put the tank in the basement of the house near the boiler. The garage is attached to the house.

Has anyone done anything similar to this? Is there a schematic available anywhere that would show all the components needed and show how everything should be plumbed? I would obviously add an extra zone to the boiler to run the garage floor.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. May. 29, 2019 10:18 am

Hi, welcome,
Brazed plate heat exchanger would do anti-freeze separation for a lot less money, although the indirect would add a lot of hot water 'buffer' volume.
Besides proper piping methods, the controls need done proper or results will still be sub par.

Recommend getting easy to understand radiant book(s) by Dan Houlohan. Best decisions come from knowledge of theroy behind the application...

franpipeman
Stoker Coal Boiler: efm 520 stoker fitzgibbons pressure vessel
Hand Fed Coal Stove: harman, russo
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: alpine propane condensing boiler radiant floor

Post by franpipeman » Tue. Sep. 03, 2019 8:19 am

if you buy a condensing propane or natural gas boilers many of them come with a radiant heat selection where the boiler can maintain the lower temperatures usually used in radiant heat in concrete there by reducing all the other controls . yea i know price of new boiler is not entertaining but you will run at a very high fuel efficiency usually over 90 percent

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”