Pulled the trigger

Trumpeterb
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Pea
Other Heating: Electric baseboards (hopefully never use these again)

Post by Trumpeterb » Thu. May. 23, 2019 10:02 pm

Well, after much debate and research, I finally pulled the trigger on an AHS130. I should be picking it up sometime over the next few weeks. Should give me plenty of time to remove the Eko40 wood boiler and install the coal unit. I am sure I will have a million questions as this happens, so stay tuned.

Part of me will miss the wood fire smell and the time spent in the woods cutting, splitting, stacking, etc....but most of me is really looking forward to the extra time with family and not running out of wood in February. I just hope the price of coal remains manageable.

lamina1982
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: keystoker econo 90
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lamina1982 » Thu. May. 23, 2019 11:14 pm

I picked one up a few weeks ago and am likewise waiting to set her up, just waiting to burn the last of my rice coal in theecono 90
Should be a gret burner.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. May. 24, 2019 6:38 am

I wouldn't worry about the price of coal. It has been pretty stable since before I was born. What you will need is a comfy chair, preferably with wheels on it because you'll be spending a lot of time staring at your new mistress.

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Fri. May. 24, 2019 9:53 am

Trumpeterb wrote:
Thu. May. 23, 2019 10:02 pm
Well, after much debate and research, I finally pulled the trigger on an AHS130. I should be picking it up sometime over the next few weeks. Should give me plenty of time to remove the Eko40 wood boiler and install the coal unit. I am sure I will have a million questions as this happens, so stay tuned.

Part of me will miss the wood fire smell and the time spent in the woods cutting, splitting, stacking, etc....but most of me is really looking forward to the extra time with family and not running out of wood in February. I just hope the price of coal remains manageable.
============================================================================================

Hello Lamina1982 and TrumpeterB,

Please be sure to order three of Dan Holohans excellent paperback books about heating to give you more information about hot water heating.

1. CLASSIC HYDRONICS
2. PUMPING AWAY
3. HOW COME

These paperback are manna from heaven when planning and doing plumbing for hot water heating.

you can purchase them directly from the author, Dan Holohan through his book store page on the
www.heatinghelp.com forum and all profits go to the author.

Dan makes his writing fun and easy to understand and read with many true stories about his work in plumbing and heating and the history about heating systems as well as describing and illustrating many older types of heating and the proven methods of piping as well as improving existing heating systems.

When he talks about the dead men he is talking about the pioneers in the heating industry as well as the chemists and scientists that developed the law of gasses and thermodynamics and many other fundamentals in designing heating systems and how the physics of heating and cooling work in easy to understand terms and he highlights them with many examples.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. May. 24, 2019 10:39 am

And some day you'll want a dustless, no-lifting above your head, hopper filling system...so during layout time one should have that thought in the back of their head...

Trumpeterb

Post by Trumpeterb » Fri. May. 24, 2019 10:24 pm

Yep. Already planning on a coal vac system someday

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. May. 25, 2019 10:16 am

Congratulations! I'm sure you will love the minimal tending the S130 requires compared to a wood boiler. Now you can burn wood "for fun" rather than as a necessity.
Trumpeterb wrote:
Fri. May. 24, 2019 10:24 pm
Yep. Already planning on a coal vac system someday
Good luck with that. To my knowledge, no one has been successful at building a coal-vac system for moving Pea coal.

-Don

Trumpeterb

Post by Trumpeterb » Sun. May. 26, 2019 1:04 am

StokerDon wrote:
Sat. May. 25, 2019 10:16 am
Congratulations! I'm sure you will love the minimal tending the S130 requires compared to a wood boiler. Now you can burn wood "for fun" rather than as a necessity.

Good luck with that. To my knowledge, no one has been successful at building a coal-vac system for moving Pea coal.

-Don
Hmmmm....time for some serious engineering....

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M

Post by coaledsweat » Sun. May. 26, 2019 6:44 am

Or this puppy, still available.

Post by coaledsweat - Coal Vac, Would This Work?

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”