DIY Remote Temp Monitor/Alarm

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Mon. May. 13, 2019 9:11 am

I have been searching for an economical remote temperature monitor and could not find one I liked... While searching, an Arduino thermocouple module kept popping up in the search results. I checked into it and decided to try to build my own using an Arduino board. As it turned out, its pretty straight forward since there are tons of sites with pre-written code to start you off... The whole thing costed about $35 bucks ( I had an old project box to use). I added two piezo buzzers after taking the photo and set a high alarm at 235F and a low alarm at 130F. I calibrated the thermocouple in boiling water (208F at my house) and then placed it in an unused well in my boiler. Works great. If I were to start over knowing what I know now, I'd likely use the Arduino Nano with a connection board instead of the Arduino Uno/breadboard I chose. Could make it much smaller.

Arduino Board mounted in project box
IMG_20190417_103131.jpg
.JPG | 525.3KB | IMG_20190417_103131.jpg
Air temp during first test
IMG_20190418_151713.jpg
.JPG | 305.8KB | IMG_20190418_151713.jpg
Monitor connected to boiler in basement
IMG_20190506_122319.jpg
.JPG | 276KB | IMG_20190506_122319.jpg
Arduino Board Kit - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KZN2YPK/ref= ... UTF8&psc=1
Displays - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DKISMXK/ref= ... UTF8&psc=1
Thermocouple module - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HT871SO/ref= ... UTF8&psc=1
30' Ktype thermocouple - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MK5ZSDJ/ref= ... UTF8&psc=1
Optional wire kit - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EV70C78/ref= ... UTF8&psc=1
Piezo buzzers - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B0Q4KKO/ref= ... UTF8&psc=1
My Code
Boiler Temp and Alarm.txt
.TXT | 2.5KB | Boiler Temp and Alarm.txt

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Mon. May. 13, 2019 6:03 pm

Similar to the Rasberry Pi Modules, we use those for self running slide shows with just a monitor. They can all sorts of other things too with expansion modules,etc...

nepacoal

Post by nepacoal » Mon. May. 13, 2019 6:13 pm

WNY wrote:
Mon. May. 13, 2019 6:03 pm
Similar to the Rasberry Pi Modules, we use those for self running slide shows with just a monitor. They can all sorts of other things too with expansion modules,etc...
Yes, same concept. With Arduino they call the modules "shields" for some reason. If you purchase from eBay, you could probably make a system for $15... You could easily add modules to have 3 or 4 temp readings as long as you had I/O pins available.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Tue. May. 14, 2019 11:58 am

I too have been 'testing' both the Arduino and the Raspberry Pi in various ways for some solar power measuring and controlling or load diversions...amazing what all can be done with these tiny boards and their add-ons...such as, switching on and off a 240 VAC 4500 Watt water heater elements up to 120 times per second, or once every half cycle is easily done, as one example. :)

nepacoal

Post by nepacoal » Wed. May. 15, 2019 10:27 am

McGiever wrote:
Tue. May. 14, 2019 11:58 am
I too have been 'testing' both the Arduino and the Raspberry Pi in various ways for some solar power measuring and controlling or load diversions...amazing what all can be done with these tiny boards and their add-ons...such as, switching on and off a 240 VAC 4500 Watt water heater elements up to 120 times per second, or once every half cycle is easily done, as one example. :)
You're right... The more I look into these small prototyping platforms, the more I realize they can do.

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Sat. May. 18, 2019 11:22 am

Not super familiar with the Arduino and the Raspberry Pi (not enough to know how to do it) but if you added a differential pressure sensor, a couple thermocouples and one of the little graphic screens... :annoyed: and put a coalpail logo on it... just saying :yes:

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Sat. May. 18, 2019 6:50 pm

Not with the Arduino or the Raspberry Pi...
But I do have a prototype of a Fail Safe Stoker Re-Starter device...
Seems it is all too often that we stoker users temporarily shut off our stokers for emptying ashes and other quick tasks but forget to turn it back on before leaving, leading to an "out-fire" and a soon "cold boiler"...

Parts are all in now and I can assemble one as a finished product and disassemble the hay-wired project that sits on the bench now.

I'll start another thread when I build a few and they are available, stay tuned...

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Sun. May. 19, 2019 7:18 am

McGiever wrote:
Sat. May. 18, 2019 6:50 pm
Not with the Arduino or the Raspberry Pi...
But I do have a prototype of a Fail Safe Stoker Re-Starter device...
Seems it is all too often that we stoker users temporarily shut off our stokers for emptying ashes and other quick tasks but forget to turn it back on before leaving, leading to an "out-fire" and a soon "cold boiler"...

Parts are all in now and I can assemble one as a finished product and disassemble the hay-wired project that sits on the bench now.

I'll start another thread when I build a few and they are available, stay tuned...
My dream come true! Great job, will it work on an EFM? If so, I might be your first order MG!

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Sun. May. 19, 2019 7:38 am

Works on any stoker...just a few wiring connection/changes.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”