Help me decide. Boiler location basement or garage.

Where should i put my coal boiler.

Basement.
78%
Pole barn garage.
22%

Total votes: 18

DooHicky

Post by DooHicky » Tue. Mar. 26, 2019 9:31 am

Why 4 lines of pex in the ground?.…. keep oil furnace in house as back up use HX to transfer heat to oil boiler... utilizing that pump and piping...run pump 24/7 from garage boiler to house...run cold water from house to garage...you want a sink out there anyway

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Tue. Mar. 26, 2019 10:04 am

the boiler will not get wet in the basement. i planned on setting it up on blocks. only the floor gets wet and like i said i am only 1/3 done with my waterproofing project. when i moved home in 2017 there were no sump pumps and although the stone under the slab was holding a lot of water the floor rarely flooded. there is a drain that was long abandoned that is clay tile, that takes on some water too. it had to be abandoned because it ran thru two neighbors yards into a french drain that the state removed like 30 yrs ago. there were a few yrs we had to pump our grey water out of the basement.

the add on to the pole barn for the boiler will have to come later on, i never thought about the solid fuel appliance around the cars and having to build a block wall around the boiler.

Mom is helping me but i don't want to spend all her money.

lincolnmania
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond

Post by lincolnmania » Tue. Mar. 26, 2019 10:08 am

DooHicky wrote:
Tue. Mar. 26, 2019 9:31 am
Why 4 lines of pex in the ground?.…. keep oil furnace in house as back up use HX to transfer heat to oil boiler... utilizing that pump and piping...run pump 24/7 from garage boiler to house...run cold water from house to garage...you want a sink out there anyway
don't have an oil boiler right now, we have oil fired hot air and a reading hot air stoker.

wouldn't i need four lines if i had the boiler in the garage?
180 degree water supply and return,
cold water supply,
hot domestic water to house.

i will install at least a cold water supply to the building, not sure my sewer is buried deep enough for a shop sink.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Tue. Mar. 26, 2019 10:21 am

two for boiler water insulated pex oxygen barrier...
no matter where boiler is...
Domestic water supply if ya can't go deep insulate this also...
If boiler is in barn you would put an indirect domestic water heater in house...
Use the domestic Hot water coil for barn...
Reverse if boiler is in Basement...
Yes you would use a sewerage pump to lift to sewer...
Depending on system may dump into small holding tank before sewer...
but the sewer load from a single bath in an auxiliary building is low...
So they may just pump direct to sewer...
Shop sink hell...
Full bathroom maybe even a shower...
LOL...
But you could put that in a bump out later...

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Tue. Mar. 26, 2019 10:49 am

You should add a hoop shed to the voting list.

DooHicky

Post by DooHicky » Tue. Mar. 26, 2019 12:43 pm

No .....20 plate flat HX for domestic hw. And IF ....you would be able to put it out at the garage I would caution you to NOT plumb it directly into the heating runs...but to use a flat plate HX ..if going water to water...if going to air then size accordingly

DooHicky

Post by DooHicky » Tue. Mar. 26, 2019 1:57 pm

There are a lot of knowledgeable people on here with things that work ....that typically should not ... And trust me...I'm cheap and researched the snot out of doing what I did...in pricing and application...since my wood boiler was always going to be in garage I got lots of help in outdoor wood boiler forums....and then I found this place when looking at hard coal....mine surely isn't pretty but it does the job and has redundant backups..in the wood boiler I don't use anymore...but could and the oil furnace in the house ..there are work around that are inexpensive to do initially...but later on when the ...geee if only I did.....those add up significantly....

Also...get the foil bubble insulation for the roof of your pole barn garage...don't do like I did...and skip it...raining on you inside isn't pleasent...unless your going stick built...then that's not a problem...if you go pole barn...check out DIYPolebarns out of Ohio....used to be no tax....but that doesn't apply now and they have free shipping..

lincolnmania

Post by lincolnmania » Tue. Mar. 26, 2019 2:28 pm

i only have a .68 acre lot.

lincolnmania

Post by lincolnmania » Tue. Mar. 26, 2019 2:31 pm

DooHicky wrote:
Tue. Mar. 26, 2019 1:57 pm
There are a lot of knowledgeable people on here with things that work ....that typically should not ... And trust me...I'm cheap and researched the snot out of doing what I did...in pricing and application...since my wood boiler was always going to be in garage I got lots of help in outdoor wood boiler forums....and then I found this place when looking at hard coal....mine surely isn't pretty but it does the job and has redundant backups..in the wood boiler I don't use anymore...but could and the oil furnace in the house ..there are work around that are inexpensive to do initially...but later on when the ...geee if only I did.....those add up significantly....

Also...get the foil bubble insulation for the roof of your pole barn garage...don't do like I did...and skip it...raining on you inside isn't pleasent...unless your going stick built...then that's not a problem...if you go pole barn...check out DIYPolebarns out of Ohio....used to be no tax....but that doesn't apply now and they have free shipping..
i live near amish country, got a decent deal on this building. they are doing all the building and i get a 10 year warranty.

i have the insulation covered. not only did i go for the double bubble under the steel, i also went for r38 ceiling insulation and metal ceiling liner, and r19 wall insulation and metal wall liner.

lincolnmania

Post by lincolnmania » Tue. Mar. 26, 2019 2:32 pm

CapeCoaler wrote:
Tue. Mar. 26, 2019 10:21 am
two for boiler water insulated pex oxygen barrier...
no matter where boiler is...
Domestic water supply if ya can't go deep insulate this also...
If boiler is in barn you would put an indirect domestic water heater in house...
Use the domestic Hot water coil for barn...
Reverse if boiler is in Basement...
Yes you would use a sewerage pump to lift to sewer...
Depending on system may dump into small holding tank before sewer...
but the sewer load from a single bath in an auxiliary building is low...
So they may just pump direct to sewer...
Shop sink hell...
Full bathroom maybe even a shower...
LOL...
But you could put that in a bump out later...
and mad property taxes......they don't know we have more than one bathroom already lol.

PolarLight
Stoker Coal Boiler: JB
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Propane, firewood

Post by PolarLight » Tue. Mar. 26, 2019 3:20 pm

About insulated underground PEX pipes.
I am fishing for them right now. I found prices vary a lot. In some places $10k for 300', in some only $1.5k. So, think& research before you spent your money

DooHicky

Post by DooHicky » Tue. Mar. 26, 2019 3:46 pm

Whatever you finally decide to do do the insulated pex right....I went with pex-al-pex because it was the same price as regular OB pex...but it's all about the flow...and pex Al pex is larger ID. 3 speed Grundfos 26-99 was overkill...but I only "loose" 1.5-2 degree over 125 feet....on speed 2. IIRC badger insulated is free ship over $300.. supply house is free ship over $99. If you go 1" pex Al pex from badger get the compression fittings from the also...about the only place that sells them... everything else I believe I got from supply house..best deal on full port ball valves flat plate HX and slab sensor an zone control for floor and manifolf

LouNY
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer fireplace insert
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: oil

Post by LouNY » Tue. Mar. 26, 2019 9:05 pm

I would go in the basement, the so called waste heat will heat the basement and keep pipes from freezing.
If all the heat is removed from the basement you'll have to put heat into it.
When you run pex to the garage you can run a poly domestic water line, it could just go to a freeze proof outdoor hydrant installed in the garage.

Dave 1234
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1948 International boiler, EFM S-20 stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buck,

Post by Dave 1234 » Wed. Mar. 27, 2019 8:29 am

One more vote for the basement install .

......Unless you don't mind the extra costs of the remote boiler install. My buddy put his boiler in a very nice,insulated, barn/shed 2 years ago. Its so handy for many reasons. But its more $$$$.

Your house will be more enjoyable to live in with the boiler under it .

IMHO

Dave

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Wed. Mar. 27, 2019 12:11 pm

One more vote for a basement install. I just was down in my basement. Coal ran out on the 17th so now its oil boiler only. My basement is 64 degrees. The living area is whatever temp. I set the thermostat too but it's still just not as comfortable. When the coal boiler is running my basement is 74 degrees. Floors are warm on the first level. Trade off? No matter how careful you are with coal handling and ashes there will be some dust. it can be minimal with proper technics.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”