EFM 700 pin keeps snapping

briankk
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 700

Post by briankk » Sat. Mar. 23, 2019 1:52 pm

Not sure where the problem is but I want to remove the chain so I can back out the coal in the main worm (and hopefully the small worm as well if that is necessary). I can't seem to get the chain off. I removed cotter pin on the gear for the large auger/worm, but obviously that doesn't give me enough play. There is a master link on the chain ... but I don't have a spare so I did not try to take it off that way. Am I missing something?

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Sat. Mar. 23, 2019 2:44 pm

If you can put the cotter pin back in you should try to reverse the auger with a pipe wrench to get it to reverse whatever is stuck in the tube.

If you can clean the side links of the chain you will see what number size is stamped on the chain strap and then you will be able to purchase some spare master links for it and spare strap connectors.
I would imagine that a motorcycle shop would have the chain and connectors you require.
Another place to check would be a garage door sales and service place too.
Does the master link have cotter pins in it or is there a thin steel strap to secure the side plate to make the masterlink connection?

As old as the unit is it may be better to just purchase a new length of roller chain and connector links.

If you willing to take the chain to a place that sells roller chain they will be able to get the right length of roller chain for you to save on buying an entire box of roller chain, a roller chain breaker and roller chain tensioner to bring the chain ends together.

Try using the pipe wrench to reverse the auger first before you break the roller chain.

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Sat. Mar. 23, 2019 5:22 pm

It's been a long time since I ran a 900 but there shouldn't be any need to open the chain.

Mike

Phil May
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 700
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Liesure Line
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Phil May » Sat. Mar. 23, 2019 6:57 pm

It is #40 chain Tractor Supply has it. Just flip the dog over that holds the ratchet gear and you can turn auger back wards and forwards. I had a session with mine breaking pins this year. It was caused by one of the grates getting loose at the bottom. I let coal and fines get behind the grate and pack around the gears that drive the fines cleaner and the pot rotisorie. Most fo the time it is just an oversize piece of coal stuck in auger.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”