Settings changes made to my Coal Gun today

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Tue. Mar. 19, 2019 10:13 am

With ashing initiation set at 100 degrees, and hysteresis at 1 degree, my fire was getting a bit thin and (though I never lost a fire) I began to notice that the Coal Gun was running for (never before witnessed) elongated periods of time in order to catch up and cut-out at the 180 degree set-point. And occasionally I watched it bounce between 99 degrees and 100 degrees, whereby the ashing motor was turning on at 99 and off at 100, and then down again (ashing on), up again (ashing off), etc... as if pulsing the ash cycle. Who knows, perhaps such pulsing is good, as there were certainly zero puffs occurring. And efficiency was not being impacted. But it felt a bit odd to me so:

I just now changed ashing initiation temp to 105 degrees, and ashing hysteresis to 2 degrees.

Now its down to a multi-day period of wait and listen, to hear if any puffs return.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Tue. Mar. 19, 2019 7:18 pm

If my guess is right Larry, the hysteresis is like the differential on an aquastat. If so, I would think raising that number will slow down the ON/OFF pulsing type cycling of your ashing.

A thin fire is not good, you can loose the fire real quick if the fire is too thin.

-Don

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”