Garage build, heating questions.

CoalisCoolxWarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Fri. Nov. 01, 2019 7:16 pm

How about a pic where pipe and water are flowing into basement wall?

Are you certain you don't have any leaks in the piping?

This is a problem we want to see you get fixed- without a big expense.

Hang in there! House repair/rebuild can break even the best of us.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Fri. Nov. 08, 2019 10:00 pm

when i get around to it i'm going to get some closed cell foam and some flexible hose and seal the conduit as far as i can from either end.

the exterior of the house is almost finished. the siding crew will be done tomorrow. I finished the underside of the front porch, built the basement door entranceway, replaced 13 windows, the patio door, two storm doors, the rim joists on the back of the house, wall plates, several wall studs, about a dozen sheets of sheathing, insulation, wiring. (both were rodent damaged)
i also had to replace the deck ledger, deck hangers, i flashed the decks to the house with a few rolls of self stick rubber flashing.
we got all new exterior light fixtures, got the nicest lower end stuff i could find.
the exterior of the house just needs the foundation walls chipped and repaired and stucco. i wanted to get it done before the siding, but i ran out of time. other than that minor stuff like building new porch steps with lower risers for mom.

i want to put a black metal cap on the block chimney too, right now it's got the oil furnace hooked to it, but it will have a coal boiler hooked to it soon and it can't be good for excessive water to reach the bottom when i am on coal heat. there is no cleanout, and i will have to use double wall pipe to the chimney....currently the oil chimney is a few inches from the sill plate. i will have a tee with a cap in the chimney so i will be able to clean it from there.
i'm thinking next spring i will put the boiler in, going to run my current setup in the house for now. the boiler will still need cleaned and painted when i get it. not getting a brandy new one lol.

the new basement entrance. sold the metal bilco door for 75 dollars.

this is why house was hard to heat. the house is now wrapped in 3/8" fanfold and taped.

this window i changed last yr, the 1989 frame was ok so i put a vinyl replacement window in.

lincolnmania
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond

Post by lincolnmania » Fri. Nov. 08, 2019 10:21 pm

oh and i spray foamed between all the boards before the 3/8" foam went on. i was busy trimming foam lol.

need to start looking for a water to air heat exchanger. my plenum is 18x18 and i suppose i'm going to have to sacrifice the central a/c to get it in the plenum (i have a low ceiling, big ducts go both ways at the top of the plenum. the central a/c does not work anyway. i had a friend help me repair it, we changed the fan motor and a few other parts, we charged it with r22, and it worked for about 12 hours then ran non stop and would not shut off, pretty sure the evaporator is done for, my dad neglected home maintenance (can you tell) and he rarely changed the furnace filter.
i change the filter once a month.
it's 28 degrees outside and 70 in my room. that little bit of insulation helped.

unfortunately bats were in the ceiling in my room. the drywall is on the underside of the roof rafters. i had r19 insulation.
monday when the workers pulled down the soffit they got rained on my bat droppings and fiberglass.

Attachments

20191104_093057[1].jpg

critter damage

.JPG | 460KB | 20191104_093057[1].jpg

lincolnmania

Post by lincolnmania » Thu. Dec. 12, 2019 10:33 am

outside of the house is done. finishing up the garage now.

attempted to service the oil furnace today. Fail!
the heat exchanger is coked up with rock hard soot. dad had the furnace installed in 2006 and did not have it serviced until 2013 when it sooted up. the oil man never told dad the furnace was junk. no wonder moms oil bills were so high before i switched to coal.
also no wonder the oil furnace and the coal stove could not keep up last jan when it got below zero. another reason why is my house. it had (has) major air leaks......there is foam insulation on the outside under the new siding and we have all new windows except for three windows i installed in the early 90's that were ok yet. the house is staying much warmer just with that air sealing and r-2 insulation. the ceiling in my room has bar damaged insulation, found that out when the soffit and fascia got replaced. not sure to the extent of the damage but i'm pretty sure there will be little to no intact insulation up the few feet of the ceiling above the drywall.

while working on the house i came across: ants, spiders, mice, bats, birds, yellow jackets, mud wasps, hornets. the exterior is all sealed up now so no rodents can get in (i hope) i came across so many issues that it ate up a majority of our savings, i still need to install a sump pump in the crawl space and waterproof and encapsulate it, also the foundation stucco needs redone.

i just told my mother that we have no other option now but to move forward with the boiler. trying to make the money to get one, got a few cars to fix.

anyone know if i can use my current beckett oil burner with a dual fuel efm?

lincolnmania

Post by lincolnmania » Thu. Dec. 12, 2019 10:39 am

pic of the garage and house.

Attachments

20191109_114939[1].jpg
.JPG | 538.4KB | 20191109_114939[1].jpg

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Dec. 12, 2019 3:41 pm

lincolnmania wrote:
Fri. Nov. 08, 2019 10:21 pm
need to start looking for a water to air heat exchanger. my plenum is 18x18
Wow, big job you got going on there! Nice work!

Did you find an exchanger? I found a beauty on Ebay, 20x20 for $155.

lincolnmania

Post by lincolnmania » Thu. Dec. 12, 2019 5:37 pm

i have not picked up a water to air heat exchanger yet. i did see some pretty good prices on them.

i do have three new taco pumps, a taco zone switching relay, some plumbing supplies and fittings.

i could rip out the hot air furnace and the duct work completely, but then i would need a air handler for central a/c if we decided to replace the unit.
and my mom has a couple rooms packed pretty full with boxes of crafts and stuff. she's been here 51 years, i can only get rid of so much at a time lol. i would have to get into two of the rooms by moving a lot of stuff.
then there's the 3 rooms i already remodeled with new flooring and the heating vents in the floor.

the whole project is coming together, it is just taking longer than expected.

oh and the chiropractor bill lol

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”