Garage build, heating questions.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Tue. May. 07, 2019 6:42 pm

CoalisCoolxWarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Tue. May. 07, 2019 11:21 pm

Very nice thread and I am impressed with the speed of your progress.

Thanks for sharing your project with all the pics and videos. Keep up the good work!

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Thu. May. 09, 2019 9:41 am

Looks Fantastic! :clap:

I am also impressed with the speed of the project! :yes:

lincolnmania
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond

Post by lincolnmania » Thu. May. 09, 2019 3:09 pm

those amish fellows don't mess around. they missed a screw on the siding and left some shirts here and a coffee mug

the insulation contractor came this morning and pumped 18" of insulation in the attic of the shop.

i got the pipes in the wall cemented this morning with hydraulic cement without sand.

the excavator came at lunch time and worked for a few hours. he's trying to beat the rain.
putting in three 4" schedule 40 drain pipes under the driveway, two for the downspouts and one for the future crawl space sump pump. (that's gonna be no fun to dig lol)
the other side of the house is getting better grading, going to bury two pipes for the downspouts and a 1.5" for the sump pumps. trying to get the water away from the house.

digging up the foundation exterior and waterproofing is not an option. the walls are not flat below grade on the outside....basically a rubble wall, plus no footers, rather not disturb the shale around the foundation.

i ordered some 8' led lights from amazon. cost 280 dollars for 12 of them. 8500 lumen and 72 watt each. i wanted to use commercial t8 direct wire led fixtures and 4' led tubes but that option was around 800 dollars.

running out of money and have not purchased the boiler yet or the radiators and piping.

i do have circulator pumps, (so far 3 taco 007e's) i have a 6 zone taco switching relay, two 1" pump flanges with ball valves, a roll of solder, ppe joint compound, sandpaper, (needed to spend 99 dollars to get free shipping on the 1/2" pex al pex couplers...thank goodness they were not needed...and i got the four 1" pex al pex fittings to go to 1" pipe thread.

gotta sell a car or two to pay for the rest of the build. i also have some coal stoves for sale.

lincolnmania

Post by lincolnmania » Sat. May. 11, 2019 3:41 am

i gotta cash in the piggy bank to get wiring

lincolnmania

Post by lincolnmania » Sat. May. 11, 2019 11:29 pm

just picked up a GE 230v 18,000 btu window air conditioner for 199 bucks at ollies bargain outlet. hopefully it works decent out there on the hot days of summer.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sun. May. 12, 2019 12:43 pm

Looks great!

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sun. May. 12, 2019 7:52 pm

Nice Job,Keep It Going!!

lincolnmania

Post by lincolnmania » Wed. May. 15, 2019 7:37 am

the driveway got done yesterday, also two downspout pipes (sch 40) went under the driveway, and a third one for a future crawl space sump pump.....i have the sump pump and the crawl space sump, gotta wait for the crawl space to dry out before i can dig, right now there is water down there up to ground level.

in the rain i have been working on the basement wall that i put the insulated pipe thru. what a mess, one layer of the concrete in the rubble wall is not so good, there is a spring running thru the wall right now, i can't plug it with hydraulic cement, i tried lol.
have to wait for the water table to get below four feet lol.

one hydraulic spot in the driveway, it's where the blue spruce tree used to be (it died while i was living in newtown, dad had it removed) we even dug down 2 foot in that area to remove the mud. it will settle. loaded cement truck was in that spot and tore it up iirc.

guys i did all i could about the water here. eight tri axle loads of stone for the shed pad, pole barn and driveway, that's what 175 ton of stone?

we still need to grade the other side of the house (cant do the back or side of the addition because of the deck unfortunately.) it's too muddy. have to wait a few days. sean left his mini excavator here, he has to remove the tree stump and level out the dirt piles ) two piles of sand and stone from the old septic field that we did not want to grade with he is going to spread it where i can't mow then put half a load of soil over it. the other half of the load i need to finish grading around the house and garage.

have to get gutters installed too. out of money.

i'm about 43,000 dollars deep right now. the electrical wiring and conduit is going to be about 700 dollars.

Attachments

20190514_130718[1].jpg
.JPG | 370.9KB | 20190514_130718[1].jpg
20190514_123413[1].jpg
.JPG | 579.6KB | 20190514_123413[1].jpg
20190514_104810[1].jpg
.JPG | 404.4KB | 20190514_104810[1].jpg
20190514_090030[1].jpg
.JPG | 675.5KB | 20190514_090030[1].jpg

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. May. 15, 2019 8:30 am

Looking good. You better start lining up stuff to sell. Winter will come quick, and you will look funny with a new shop and no heat in the house.

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Wed. May. 15, 2019 8:36 am

I know what you mean about water in crawl spaces. What we did is take a pail-a 3 gallon pail from lowes will do; and drill small holes in the sides that would allow the water to enter and prevent any debris larger than the drilled hole from entering the pail and set the sump pump in it and it prevents any mud from entering the base as well and it works really well to get rid of water.

If your mother could tolerate it you could temporarily run a garden hose out the door for a day if its warm out to pull more water out of the crawl space.

lincolnmania

Post by lincolnmania » Wed. May. 15, 2019 8:45 am

Rob R. wrote:
Wed. May. 15, 2019 8:30 am
Looking good. You better start lining up stuff to sell. Winter will come quick, and you will look funny with a new shop and no heat in the house.
the 06 town car is going to a new home soon. that's the boiler fund. guy i know from michigan is buying it. few yrs ago i traded him my lincoln mark VII even up for his 89 colony park. made a good profit when i sold the colony park.
other than that i got some coal stoves for sale. problem is most people here want boilers lol.

lincolnmania

Post by lincolnmania » Sun. Jul. 07, 2019 12:24 am

progress got slowed due to lack of funding, motivation, health, and nice weather spent outside.
i was able to get the wiring and boxes and conduit and i am working on that.
that shop is gonna be super easy to heat. it sure is easy to cool. i bought two 12,000 btu window a/c units for the shop and i only have one hooked up and it cools the shop nicely. it was 92 today outside and 72 in the shop!
thanks so much guys for pushing me to do the floor heat and under floor insulation!

the light fixtures i got are 8' led strips. they are 8500 lumen each. i have 12 of them. that's 102,000 lumens, 864 watts.

my neighbor rented a tracked skid loader for the week to regrade his yard and remove a parking area he did not want, he gave me and the neighbor on the other side of him all the stone he did not want. he also spread out my dirt piles for me and helped me move the air compressor into the shop. he would have spread the load of stone out for me that i need, but no one would deliver 22 tons this week because of the holiday.

need to get the basement walls finished and get a boiler. i need some days with no rain and water so i can stop the leaks, i was prepping the wall about 2 weeks ago for some repairs and i removed one of my dads repairs and it was holding back a ton of water. i tried to plug it with hydraulic cement but it just washed away.

gotta unhoard a few rooms too so i can install the baseboard radiators too.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Mon. Jul. 08, 2019 6:02 pm

Progress is good...
Slow and steady will get it done...
Tight building, good insulation...
Comfy workspace...
You could run the cold water thru the in floor pex...
For some cheap cooling...
You love that floor in the winter...
Once you get the boiler in place...

lincolnmania

Post by lincolnmania » Mon. Sep. 02, 2019 5:47 pm

much progress that i did not get to post.

shop wiring is almost done. shop landscaping done. i still want to do more with the driveway but that's gotta wait till funds are available.

i have a friend that stayed with mom and i and helped us with house projects for the past couple weeks.

yesterday i got the bad basement wall repaired. it is pouring right now and no water is coming in that wall. and i did not get the waterproofing cement based paint yet. it was called superthoroseal, now they call it masterseal 183.

time for the boiler.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”