Harman vf3000

ErnieG
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman vf3000
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman I Harman III

Post by ErnieG » Sun. Mar. 03, 2019 6:17 am

Hi everyone ..
My name's Ernie I'm from NEPA and new to the forum . I currently have two hand fired stoves so no stranger to coal .. Harman Mark I &III which I love them both . I have been primarily heating my house with the Mark III but when it get extremely cold I fire up the Mark I . I have a single story ranch home with a basement where the Mark III is and the Mark I is on the first level in my sun room. I also have a Peerless oil boiler used mainly only for my domestic but on some occasions when I'm not home the wife will use it for heat.
My main reason for joining the forum was I have a few questions about a Harman VF3000 .. I have a chance to get one that's in really good condition for free . I was thinking about replacing the oil with the vf3000 . I have hot water baseboard through the house so the switch shouldn't be to hard . I'm mechanically inclined so I'm sure I can do it myself . Currently there is only one zone on the oil boiler for my first level with just a stack heater on the boiler in the basement for heat .. excluding the Mark III .
The research I did on the vf ..alot of people were saying they could be under powered for a large home..but my home is alittle over 1100 sq ft ..would this boiler do the job for me ?
I would also like to run it year round for all my hot water needs in conjunction with an electric water heater with that being only for backup .
Please let me know what y'all think about this .
Thanks very much ...Ernie

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sun. Mar. 03, 2019 7:09 am

I think you should do it.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Sun. Mar. 03, 2019 7:31 am

Well first of al you can't beat the price. And at 1,100 sq. ft. it should do a fine job as long as you have windows and doors on your home. I heated 4,000 sq. ft. with a VF3000 for many years. It would struggle in very cold weather but did ok in normal weather. I sold it for $1900.00 3 years ago.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Mar. 03, 2019 7:32 am

Hi Ernie - welcome. If you can get a VF3000 for free, I would definitely jump on it. If you are going to keep one of the coal stoves installed, you could always supplement the coal boiler during the next "polar vortex" - although I doubt that would be necessary.

You mention that you use the current oil boiler while you are away - does the VF3000 have an oil kit?

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Sun. Mar. 03, 2019 7:33 am

Welcome to the forum Ernie! :out:

Free is the best-est price there is for a boiler! :clap:

Do you know what BTU output the oil boiler is rated for? The VF3000 is on the small side but it might do fine in your home 90% of the time. It may need help only during the much hyped Polar Vortex events from a hand fed to keep the house up to temp. Then again, it may do a fine job keeping the house warm.

It could also be an opportunity to add a zone or two which may help the VF3000 keep up. Insulation and draft sealing will also help a smaller boiler.

Once you have it installed, if you do find it undersized and want to get something bigger, the swap should be pretty easy after doing the initial installation piping.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator

Post by coaledsweat » Sun. Mar. 03, 2019 7:45 am

If you can't heat an 1100' house with it you may have to close the doors and windows! It's rated at 95K BTUs, I heated twice that with an 80K hand fired and it never had a problem keeping up. And my house is a leaker.

ErnieG

Post by ErnieG » Sun. Mar. 03, 2019 7:58 am

Thanks everyone for the welcome !
To answer a few of your questions..
My current oil boiler is a Peerless tw3..it's rated at around 90,000 btu's .
I'm not sure about the oil gun for the vf..I would have to ask my buddy that's giving it to me .
That was going to be another question I had about the oil kit . I currently have two tanks full of oil ...can I find the oil kit attachment ..are they still sold ?
Thanks ...Ernie

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sun. Mar. 03, 2019 8:26 am

Big Ern,Welcome! You have stumbled into the Valhalla of Black Rock Burning! Someone will have info as to what oil gun unit and controls will fit inside that Free Puppy!! You have one Helluva Exciting Situation going on there,Mister! Stay with Us and post often!

coaledsweat
Site Moderator

Post by coaledsweat » Sun. Mar. 03, 2019 10:16 am

Keep your old boiler and add the VF. Nothing better than 100% backup. That's how I roll.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Sun. Mar. 03, 2019 9:12 pm

coaledsweat wrote:
Sun. Mar. 03, 2019 10:16 am
Keep your old boiler and add the VF. Nothing better than 100% backup. That's how I roll.
As long as your venting will accomodate both.

ErnieG

Post by ErnieG » Sun. Mar. 03, 2019 9:51 pm

My problem with running the two would be the chimney ..I have two chimneys but ones dedicated to the Mark III and the other is for the oil boiler now . Im not sure if I can vent both the vf and the oil boiler in the same chimney .
Ernie

coaledsweat
Site Moderator

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Mar. 04, 2019 8:09 am

You can powervent the oil.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Mon. Mar. 04, 2019 9:03 am

Well,the Best part of this deal is that You've got from now 'till September to do this deal correctly!!

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Mon. Mar. 04, 2019 9:49 am

I used one (and it is still being used) in Maine. Yes it was to small but it is working. I would put both units in the same flue. Most likely the 2 will never run at the same time. And if they did, so what?
Free is awesome, I paid over $5000.

Kevin

ErnieG

Post by ErnieG » Mon. Mar. 04, 2019 7:34 pm

I was really hoping to do away with the oil boiler and have just one unit do both heat and hot water . I would like to find the oil kit for the vf though ..being able to use both oil and coal in one unit is what is really drawing me to this change and of course like others have said can't beat the deal .
Could someone tell me if they still sell the oil kit new or would I have to try and find a used one ?
Looking forward to this project with some help from everyone here .
Thanks ..Ernie

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”